Season 4

Oh Shoot

So my question is this: If it's been a year and a half since the zombie plague started, how much more scavenging will the group be able to do? Supplies shouldn't be as readily available as it seems on the show, right? I guess I'm just struggling with the group walking into houses and still finding fully stocked cupboards. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my question is this: If it's been a year and a half since the zombie plague started, how much more scavenging will the group be able to do? Supplies shouldn't be as readily available as it seems on the show, right? I guess I'm just struggling with the group walking into houses and still finding fully stocked cupboards. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. We're 4 seasons in now and only a few times has anyone mentioned sustainability. They will eventually run out of food if they don't start farming.

Depends on percentages, really.  I mean, the infestation obviously happened at warp speed. And you get the impression there's less than 10% of the population left, so that's a lot of stuff laying in every nook and cranny in America for not very many people.

At least that's my argument to support "logical" suspension of disbelief.

- OS

• Like 2

"Trust me, I'm smart than you..."

That was awesome, even more awesome given that the scientist was wearing a mullet.

I call that high talk from a two eyed fat man, since he'd just put them on foot by brilliantly killing the truck.

I mean, anybody still alive wouldn't know at least a modicum about handling a firearm by this point in the game? And actually, know enough not to be using full auto in the first place, since only aimed head shots count anyway?

(oops, there's that missing firearm logic again)

- OS

I call that high talk from a two eyed fat man, since he'd just put them on foot by brilliantly killing the truck.

I mean, anybody still alive wouldn't know at least a modicum about handling a firearm by this point in the game? And actually, know enough not to be using full auto in the first place, since only aimed head shots count anyway?

(oops, there's that missing firearm logic again)

- OS

Ever watch "talking dead" after the show? Even the host/actors/producers seem to be pretty clueless. I know I shouldn't be surprised.

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1115751" timestamp="1393215114"]Depends on percentages, really. I mean, the infestation obviously happened at warp speed. And you get the impression there's less than 10% of the population left, so that's a lot of stuff laying in every nook and cranny in America for not very many people. At least that's my argument to support "logical" suspension of disbelief. - OS[/quote] While I understand the percentages, the shelf life of the majority of the goods in those cupboards and pantries is like a year or less, no? This is where my ignorance comes is, as I have not read the comic, does this situation not lend itself to a bigger problem down the road? Malnutrition, starvation, disease, etc? Dunno, seems to me you'd need to find a place to set up for the long term. Guess that doesn't make for interesting tv though. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I understand the percentages, the shelf life of the majority of the goods in those cupboards and pantries is like a year or less, no? ...

Depends on what and how packaged. Canned stuff is practically "forever" long as it doesn't rust through or something.

Even unsealed rice, dried beans, pasta edible for years, etc. Course you never see 'em actually cooking anything.

But sure, assuming most of the animals are gone, which they seem to be for the most part, you'd have to start farming at some point. 'Course, that brings up the animals? Did the zeds eat all the farm animals? And all the wild ones too? Saw some dogs in one episode last season eating a still kicking zed, but only dogs I've seen. Assuming there are actually deer and bear and etc, with people gone, they'd actually populate like crazy (except just so many zeds, they get 'em all?)

Etc ad nauseum with the "logical" stuff. I mean, you've got dead human flesh walking around that doesn't rot, so given that, sky's the limit on conjecture I guess. :)

- OS

why should it be harder now.. if there arent alot of people moving around and looking in an area all the supplies left from the last days of civilization are still sitting there.  and its a myth that canned food goes bad after a few months, if the can is intact, no rust no dings, the interior coating is intact, stuff like that it can last for years.

on the other hand if there are thousands of people out scavenging in a small area, then yeah supplies would be thinning out.  

two hundred people couldnt even begin to pick NYC clean in a year, forty people wandering around a sixty mile area of Georgia  wouldnt be able to hit a third of the homes or business's. 

Depends on percentages, really.  I mean, the infestation obviously happened at warp speed. And you get the impression there's less than 10% of the population left, so that's a lot of stuff laying in every nook and cranny in America for not very many people.

At least that's my argument to support "logical" suspension of disbelief.

- OS

This was also my argument when it first started about how it was so unrealistic that they *weren't* able to find stuff easily.

Really, a zombie apocalypse is one of the least-worrisome kind of SHTF situations. If you're talking Walking Dead type zombies anyway.

Edited by tnguy

I've never thought about it but shouldn't their pants and lower body be covered in sh*t. They are always eating flesh and you know they aren't dropping their pants....

There are numerous physiological absurdities regarding zombie lore, so it's a bit much to apply logic to any of them. :)

- OS

[quote name="glowdotGlock" post="1115948" timestamp="1393269203"]I've never thought about it but shouldn't their pants and lower body be covered in sh*t. They are always eating flesh and you know they aren't dropping their pants....[/quote] Maybe they have impacted bowels from a steady diet of only meat
  • Like 2

That's problematic, but not as bad as still encountering lawns that are mowed.

• Like 1
[quote name="OKelly" post="1115790" timestamp="1393222403"]why should it be harder now.. if there arent alot of people moving around and looking in an area all the supplies left from the last days of civilization are still sitting there. and its a myth that canned food goes bad after a few months, if the can is intact, no rust no dings, the interior coating is intact, stuff like that it can last for years. on the other hand if there are thousands of people out scavenging in a small area, then yeah supplies would be thinning out. two hundred people couldnt even begin to pick NYC clean in a year, forty people wandering around a sixty mile area of Georgia wouldnt be able to hit a third of the homes or business's. [/quote] The show makes it seem like there's not a lot of people out scavenging, but on the other hand the show is focused on this group only. There have been other groups of survivors introduced throughout the four seasons. Those people have to be scavenging as well. It's not likely that those are the only groups that there are either. So it stands to reason there are more people still alive than just 40 or so. Supply lines stopped running a LONG time ago, so why would shelves be fully stocked? Why wouldn't cupboards be bare a year and a half after the outbreak? If supply lines stop during a weather incident (which I'm sure would be similar to what would happen shortly after a zombie outbreak... Hypothetically of course) and people can nearly clear out the bread and milk from a grocery store in a matter of hours, why would there still be stock in the majority of the homes/stores that they're hitting? Of course it's all make believe and it's more of a plot question than anything else. They have to make a show that will pull viewers in for ratings. I'm sure that ratings dipped while they were at the prison. There were fewer plot turns and they had to reach (imho) for story lines. A group on the run makes for interesting tv as they'll encounter new people and circumstances. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what and how packaged. Canned stuff is practically "forever" long as it doesn't rust through or something.

Even unsealed rice, dried beans, pasta edible for years, etc. Course you never see 'em actually cooking anything.

But sure, assuming most of the animals are gone, which they seem to be for the most part, you'd have to start farming at some point. 'Course, that brings up the animals? Did the zeds eat all the farm animals? And all the wild ones too? Saw some dogs in one episode last season eating a still kicking zed, but only dogs I've seen. Assuming there are actually deer and bear and etc, with people gone, they'd actually populate like crazy (except just so many zeds, they get 'em all?)

Etc ad nauseum with the "logical" stuff. I mean, you've got dead human flesh walking around that doesn't rot, so given that, sky's the limit on conjecture I guess. :)

- OS

Speaking of animals and zeds....wouldn't it be interesting to see what is happening at the same time in Alaska?  Zeds and wolves and grizz.....and the Kilchers.  Atz Lee dies from starvation, reanimates, and Eivin and Eve tie him to a stake and use him for grizz bait.

Edited by homeagain

seems like at least some zombies are partially decomposed. Their faces are rotting off

That's because there's no consistency for the "rules" of  the fantasy. That and the firearm related absurdities are my biggest carps with the series. To help suspend disbelief you must be true to whatever parameters you postulate, or at least explain any exceptions.

- OS