Season 4

Oh Shoot

I suspect that Rick taking charge during the gang fight, and gutting that last guy like he did, bought back some of his respect points with Carl. Although, now Carl seems like he may be afraid of Rick. There is no pleasing that kid. He must be a teenager.

There was a similar scene in the comics.  Instead of a group actively looking for Rick, though, it was just two or three guys that Rick and Carl encountered on the road.  In that scene, Rick did bite one assailant's throat out and he did butcher another one that tried to rape Carl.  Carl's reaction, though, was influenced by another scene that had a similar but not exact equal in the television show.

In the comic, there were two little boys and the older one was psycho (like the Lizzie character in the show.)  The group were on the road and the two little boys kind of wandered off.  When the others found them, the older boy had killed his younger brother and was still standing over him with the bloody knife and saying, "Don't worry, he'll come back."  The group confined the psycho kid in the back of a van that night and were discussing what to do about him.  Some of the adults hinted that he needed to be killed for the safety of the group but it was obvious that none of them had the stomach for it and none of them were going to do it.  Carl was a different story.  That night, he slipped out of the tent where he was sleeping, slipped into the van, shot the psycho kid then slipped back out and into the tent before the others came to see what was going on.  They never knew that Carl had been the one to kill the kid.

So, flash forward to the scene where Rick rips one guy's throat out with his teeth then butchers one that was trying to rape Carl.  Afterward, Rick is worried that Carl now sees him as a monster and is afraid of him so he tries to apologize to Carl.  Carl's response is, "Dad, I am glad you did it.  I just wish I could have helped."  Then when Rick keeps on about the bad things he has done and how he worries that Carl will think less of him, Carl finally looks at him and tells him that he, Carl, shot the psycho kid.  He tells Rick that they all knew it needed to be done but that he also knew that none of the adults were going to do it so Carl had taken care of the problem.  So, basically, Carl was telling Rick that if doing horrible things because they needed to be done made a person into a monster then Carl was at least as much of a monster as Rick.

See, I don't think Carl in the show is afraid of his father at all.  Instead, I think what Carl said to Michonne explains the real story.  Carl saw Rick pushed to do something horrible and then saw that Rick was kind of torn up over what he had done.  I think that Carl's worry is that he - Carl - would have done the same thing without having felt bad about it, afterward.  That is why he tells Michonne that he isn't the person his father thinks he is because he isn't upset over what Rick did or the things that he has done, himself.  That is why Carl thinks that he, not Rick, might be a monster.  Heck, Carl didn't seem as upset about having to shoot his own mother to prevent her from coming back as Rick was about killing some POS that was trying to rape Carl.  Carl was reaching for the knife, himself, but couldn't get it.  He probably had the same thing in mind as what Rick did but thinks it wouldn't have bothered him to do it the way it bothered Rick.  I think Carl was avoiding Rick because he was ashamed of his own lack of remorse not because Rick scared him.

Edited by JAB

Beth is not at Terminus,I think whoever was living at the funeral home took her.That will be the secondary storyline next season Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant to mention earlier (and did on another forum) that this is my belief where Beth is concerned.  I think the people who had been living there (and who were, apparently, 'caring' enough to want the dead bodies there to be laid out with respect - unless there is some twisted undertone to that) came back in their car just in time to see zombies flooding through the front door of the building.  Daryl sent Beth on ahead and stayed behind to draw the walkers away from her.  If you didn't know Daryl was a friggin' zombie killing machine you would probably assume that he couldn't possibly make it out of that mini-horde alive all by himself.  I think that they grabbed Beth to save her, put her in the car and hi-tailed it out of there, figuring Daryl was already lost.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the people who took her might not be entirely well-balanced (few people are at this point in the show) but that they are 'good' people who took a risk to rescue a complete stranger (Beth) from the walkers.

I'd venture bet that they stumble upon the buried cache that Rick hid outside the fence in the woods. Probable in real life? Nope. Neither is a lot of other stuff in this show. Meh. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess would be that the group held in the railroad car will manage to somehow create an opening but only Carl will be small enough to fit through it.  He will sneak out of the compound and Carol and Tyreese will find him as he goes to collect the hidden weapons cache to try and help the others escape.

I am also hoping that Rick and the others had the presence of mind to stash a knife or two and maybe that snub-nosed revolver that Michonne took from the 'Claimed' gang guy in their boots, etc.  Yeah, the Terminus folks frisked them when they first came in but it was mostly a cursory, going through the motions frisking and Rick, having been a cop, would probably know of good ways to overcome a weapon or two being discovered in such a frisking.

Edited by JAB

SPOILER ALERT   SPOILER ALERT   SPOILER ALERT   SPOILER ALERT   SPOILER ALERT

Doesn't Eugene seem like kind of a dud to be the one person who, "knows what happened and how to fix it?"  In the comics, he ain't either one.  Instead, he is a former science teacher who realizes that he can't fend for himself and knows just enough to BS Abraham (the military guy) into protecting him and keeping him alive.  In the comics, he is exposed when the others realize that there aren't even any batteries in that radio that he is supposedly using to talk to Washington.

His skills and knowledge do turn out to be very useful in other ways, though.  He may not be the one guy in the group who knows how to stop the walker outbreak but he is the one guy in the group who is able to figure out how to use the equipment in an abandoned factory to do fairly large scale ammo production.

I think the show changes up the "characters" from the Comics. Tyresse  was Ricks best friend in the comic but in the show he's just another guy running around. Daryl took Shane's place as Rick's best friend/brother. They could very well make Eugene the smart one and their ticket into a safe place for a while.

...They could very well make Eugene the smart one and their ticket into a safe place for a while.

Have a feeling that Eugene will turn out to be like comics, a complete fraud as far as the actual outbreak knowledge.

I'd have to hear a quite detailed explanation to believe otherwise.

- OS

Have a feeling that Eugene will turn out to be like comics, a complete fraud as far as the actual outbreak knowledge.

I'd have to hear a quite detailed explanation to believe otherwise.

- OS

Yeah, he just comes across as too much of a dufus.  Heck, so far he doesn't even seem smart enough to have been a science teacher, to me.  Even in the comics he was portrayed as being smarter than he has been so far in the show.

Yeah, he collected a quarter to make a battery when there are millions of cars lying around, each containing a lead-acid battery. Plus all the... oh, why bother.

Maybe if they had made him seem a little rain-man (though maybe they tried but it isn't working), it might be a bit more convincing.

What if Carol saw Rick bury the weapons but didn't approach him due to their last meeting?  

I doubt it. she understands why Rick had to do that and Tyrese now knows and has forgiven her. There's no reason not to bring her back into the group. Besides, Darryl's probably jonesin' for some booty.

Edited by monkeylizard

I guess Tyreese and Carol will have to be the cavalry next season. In the meanwhile....let me make you a plate!

I noticed the second time I watched that when the group is running through Terminus, you can hear people screaming for help from other box cars. I couldn't make out the voices but I'm wondering if it's not Carol and Tyreese. Could be others waiting their turn to become dinner for the next group.

Also, I'm not really sure of the significance of the ritual room with all of the candles. There are names, some with cities or other information, and artifacts presumably of the person being eulogized. Are these people they have lost, or eaten?

You gotta wonder about the sanitary conditions in those box cars too...

The candles thing bothers me more as time goes on. Unless they're made out of human tallow maybe. There was no indication that it was a special time or day so who would light that many candles just to leave them burning like that in a time of shortage?

Edited by tnguy
[quote name="tnguy" post="1135678" timestamp="1396982261"]The candles thing bothers me more as time goes on. Unless they're made out of human tallow maybe. There was no indication that it was a special time or day so who would light that many candles just to leave them burning like that in a time of shortage?[/quote] Crazy cannibal cultists of course!
  • Like 1

Crazy cannibal cultists of course!

That might actually turn out to be close to the real answer once it's revealed. Been my main carp with the series, really, that when you postulate an "illogical" premise like the Zed thing in the first place, all the rest of the plot elements and motivations need to be oppositely "logical" to facilitate suspension of disbelief.

- OS

• 2 months later...
AMC has been running a Walking Dead marathon this weekend. Not sure why, the next season doesn't start until October, does it?

Haven't been watching. It's one of those shows that I want to only watch once. For the most part. Edited by Clod Stomper

It's a holiday weekend, and FCC regulations say that every B-list cable channel has to do a marathon of some show every holiday weekend. It further states the marathon must be related to the holiday, or that a catchy holiday-related re-titling be done for the marathon, thus the "Dead, White, and Blue Marathon" was born...er...um....raised. It's the same reason TNT has to show "Independence Day" at least 4 times over the weekend.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
[quote name="monkeylizard" post="1165906" timestamp="1404660574"] It's the same reason TNT has to show "Independence Day" at least 4 times over the weekend.[/quote] Crap, I missed Independence Day this weekend??? Been working too hard. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched several of the shows this weekend and the new Talking Dead after.One of the producers was on there and they also showed the first trailer from Season 5.in it Carol and Tyrese were still on the run.The thing I found most interesting was the episode at the funeral home where the girl gets kidnapped actually had a back story planned but did not make the cut,it had an old funeral director who lived there and was still burying the bodies but he die when he runs out of nitro pill for his heart.