Thoughts on Certain Revolvers...

three5seven

I'm curious as to whether any TGO Members have any real world experience or thoughts on these two revolvers...the Taurus 605 or the Taurus 650 CIA, both chambered in .357. I've been running across a few of them at shops lately and have seen some decent prices on them, both new and used. At the same time, I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the web and don't know anyone who owns either, although I know a few who have been satisfied with 85's.

I'm only interested in steel (not the so-called "poly-protector" models) and only interested in opinions on these two revolvers based on personal experience, not your opinion about Taurus in general. Any thoughts about these two will be appreciated.  

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the wife a 605 and kept it for a couple of years.  The .357 was a little too hard on her so we filled it with .38s.  When she got the semi bug we traded it off.  No complaints at all about the revolver.  Snubs aren't for everyone though.

I had a stainless 605 and used it as my carry gun for about a year.  The boot grip bugged me, but that was an easy fix with a Hogue monogrip.  My only other complaint was the lockout system.  The keyhole is located just behind the hammer spur.  I prefer a plain old gun that's free of safety features (other than a transfer bar.  But I never had a malfunction of the safety or anything.  

Timing was good and lockup was acceptable - although there was a small amount of side to side play in full lockup.  There was no noticeable endshake to the cylinder, either.  It was a good gun and it served its purpose, functioned well.  I don't recall having any problems with normal speedloader compatibility, either.  I was using the HKS twist style J frame speedloaders.

I was in your shoes a few years ago, interested in a Taurus but anxious about the issues people were reporting.  All I can say is, the one I owned was a decent gun.

Edit - One other thing.  If for some reason you want to shoot really heavy .357 loads, this is probably not the gun for you.  Aside from being such a light a gun, the chambers were fine for normal .357 rounds (125 grain or 158 grain) but may be too short (think bullet sticking out the front end of the chamber) for the stuff Buffalo Bore and Double Tap are putting out (180 grain and 200 grain bullets).  I say that only because I remember being surprised the first time I looked at a loaded Ruger wheelgun at how much chamber length was left, like Ruger anticipated guys wanting to shoot ridiculously long and heavy bullets. 

Edited by Wheelgunner
For a long time Taurus revolvers were actually well built. I have read a few complaints on the quality over the last couple of years. My FIL has a Judge that has the occasional light primer strikes, seems to be getting more common now. I still would try one but not without testing.