What is up with .22lr????

• Administrator

Someone should start hanging out at Wal-Mart and take pictures of these a-hole that repeatedly buy it up every day.  Start a page on the Internet called "Ammo Hoarders of Wal-Mart" and post their pics up.  A modern day Wall of Shame.

• Like 7

Someone should start hanging out at Wal-Mart and take pictures of these a-hole that repeatedly buy it up every day.  Start a page on the Internet called "Ammo Hoarders of Wal-Mart" and post their pics up.  A modern day Wall of Shame.

Indeed...and a separate wall for walmart employees who hold shipments for the resellers. I know of one at one of my local walmarts because one of the other employees ratted him out.

At least with the declining rate of return those gougers will receive, it will cause the problem to stop all by itself. Just

be patient while the restocking continues. They will eventually quit when they see that thousand bricks of .22 and

the value back to normal. The wife, if they are married, will want her storage closet back eventually. :D

Darn good idea.

Now if I didn't hate getting up and going to Wally World....

Unfortunately, I don't see the shortage ending anytime soon for multiple reasons. The manufacturers apparently still haven't expanded production capacity enough to really end the shortage because they think that demand will slow at some point and they don't want to be caught with over-capacity when it happens...I don't think that demand will ever slow to the level it was previously. I think many more shooters that need .22 ammo will continue to buy ammo until they have a stockpile that is substantially more than they ever thought was sufficient in the past...creating more demand than supply. There are more gunowners and guns in shooters hands than last year...creates more demand. The political environment is still dicey...creates yet more demand pressure. The reselling hoarders keep buying and reselling, which continues to reduce the available supply of reasonably priced ammo.   

Unfortunately, I don't see the shortage ending anytime soon for multiple reasons. The manufacturers apparently still haven't expanded production capacity enough to really end the shortage because they think that demand will slow at some point and they don't want to be caught with over-capacity when it happens...I don't think that demand will ever slow to the level it was previously. I think many more shooters that need .22 ammo will continue to buy ammo until they have a stockpile that is substantially more than they ever thought was sufficient in the past...creating more demand than supply. There are more gunowners and guns in shooters hands than last year...creates more demand. The political environment is still dicey...creates yet more demand pressure. The reselling hoarders keep buying and reselling, which continues to reduce the available supply of reasonably priced ammo.   

Pretty well said. And I for one, agree with you.

It's the horders and survivalist caliber of choice.

You said you weren't gonna talk bad about my tactical wheelbarrow leanings anymore :(      :wave:  :rofl:

All thoe M&Ps floating around East Tenn can't help matters much. Those things go thru ammo like a full auto! Just too much fun.

Well, the 22 rifle and ammo is gone. That didn`t take long! LOL! Do I have any regrets, no. None. With the air rifle, I don`t have to worry about distance issues in the backyard if I miss the target and I have enough knockdown power to bend 1/8" steel from repeated hits. Neighbors don`t mind, the law hasn`t shown up, and I can plink off of my back porch. Life is good!

Off to take my proceeds from the sale and buy more pellets! For the caliber I am using, accuracy is good and is great for varmint control. It drops `em on the spot for the most part. If not, maybe they go 2 feet or so before DRT. I have a bad habit of hitting those suckers in the head...even when I aim for their mid section. Still trying to figure that one out......

More folks ought to try air guns out. Many would be impressed by the potential capability of what is out there. What is available nowadays isn`t a toy. My main air rifle weighs in at about 10 LB`s..... as much as an M1 Garand. I love the weight. An air rifle can have the capability in accuracy to impress even the most of the skeptics. Those here using them, already know this. They are probably even smiling reading my post. They know that accuracy can be quite good with air guns and they also know that "ammo" availability is plentiful even in political madness. Hmmmmmm....something to think about `eh?

Ask yourself this question. Why did you get into 22? I would hedge a bet to say that MOST people did it because it was cheap to shoot. Am I right?

Forget the 22 craze and hysteria. I`m over it.

I do think that many people are going that route.  My problem is that:

1.  The good air rifles with decent power cost over $100 and I can't bring myself to pay as much for a 'bb gun' as a .22 rifle costs, or nearly as much.

2.  I shoot handguns more than rifles.  If I shoot a rifle, more often than not it is a .22LR or .22WMR but I still shoot handguns more.  Partly that is due to the ranges at which I can shoot in my back yard and partly it is to get trigger time that is relevant to carrying a handgun for SD.  The air pistols I have seen that are comparable in size and feel to a carry type handgun are pretty weak and, to my mind, aren't all that comparable to shooting a 'real' gun.  22LR handguns, on the other hand - while still not exactly the same - are a much better approximation, IMO.

3.  BANG! - even the .22 version of it - is simply a whole lot more entertaining, to me, than Pfffffttt.  I get bored with air guns a whole lot more quickly than with gunpowder powered ones.

That is just me, though, and I am truly glad that some folks have found that they can get their small caliber fix from a pellet gun.

Edited by JAB

I do think that many people are going that route. My problem is that:

1. The good air rifles with decent power cost over $100 and I can't bring myself to pay as much for a 'bb gun' as a .22 rifle costs, or nearly as much.

* I can understand that. I paid $100 for my .22 rifle. My air rifle costs 3 times as much. The main thing I like is the convenience of backyard fun and the quest for decent groups. It has been a new challenge for me and one that I am intrigued with at this time. It doesn`t cost much to shoot either, which is a plus.

2. I shoot handguns more than rifles. If I shoot a rifle, more often than not it is a .22LR or .22WMR but I still shoot handguns more. Partly that is due to the ranges at which I can shoot in my back yard and partly it is to get trigger time that is relevant to carrying a handgun for SD. The air pistols I have seen that are comparable in size and feel to a carry type handgun are pretty weak and, to my mind, aren't all that comparable to shooting a 'real' gun. 22LR handguns, on the other hand - while still not exactly the same - are a much better approximation, IMO.

* Haven`t tried any air pistols other than a Daisy 45 copy many years ago. My mind is pretty made up on the pistol issue. Give me something with a louder report and some recoil and I am happy! LOL! Can`t shoot that in the backyard so a range trip is in order.

3. BANG! - even the .22 version of it - is simply a whole lot more entertaining, to me, than Pfffffttt. I get bored with air guns a whole lot more quickly than with gunpowder powered ones.

* Can understand the BANG entertainment factor. More realism added to the experience.

That is just me, though, and I am truly glad that some folks have found that they can get their small caliber fix from a pellet gun.

Lately I have spent more time in the backyard than anywhere. Looking back on all of the fun that I have had this summer, I think I have found a quick "fix" for feeding my shooting addiction.

Somedays though, ya` just gotta` go to a range and let that brass fly!

:)

Well, the 22 rifle and ammo is gone. That didn`t take long! LOL! Do I have any regrets, no. None. With the air rifle, I don`t have to worry about distance issues in the backyard if I miss the target and I have enough knockdown power to bend 1/8" steel from repeated hits. Neighbors don`t mind, the law hasn`t shown up, and I can plink off of my back porch. Life is good!

Off to take my proceeds from the sale and buy more pellets! For the caliber I am using, accuracy is good and is great for varmint control. It drops `em on the spot for the most part. If not, maybe they go 2 feet or so before DRT. I have a bad habit of hitting those suckers in the head...even when I aim for their mid section. Still trying to figure that one out......

More folks ought to try air guns out. Many would be impressed by the potential capability of what is out there. What is available nowadays isn`t a toy. My main air rifle weighs in at about 10 LB`s..... as much as an M1 Garand. I love the weight. An air rifle can have the capability in accuracy to impress even the most of the skeptics. Those here using them, already know this. They are probably even smiling reading my post. They know that accuracy can be quite good with air guns and they also know that "ammo" availability is plentiful even in political madness. Hmmmmmm....something to think about `eh?

Ask yourself this question. Why did you get into 22? I would hedge a bet to say that MOST people did it because it was cheap to shoot. Am I right?

Forget the 22 craze and hysteria. I`m over it.

A lot of truth here. I recently dug out my daughters little $30 walmart special. A little bit of fixing up from where it fell down from the pipes in the basement and it's surprisingly fun and, like you say, doesn't draw attention. I actually have a reasonable amount of 22lr but it's just a pain to get to shoot it. Thinking of upgrading to something a bit more adult sized and with a little more zip. I see they also have auto-loading air rifles but they are bit rich for my blood.

Want to get a youngster interested in the shooting sports? Get a decent air rifle, and make some "reactive' targets. Beats shooting paper all to pieces for keeping up interest. Grandkids helped build them and have worn them out shooting over the years.

Posted Image

those are awesome! Mind doing a how to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Your pictures actually give enough information to get going.

Now to work out how to add a remote control for the reset :)

Actually kinda excited about it. You should consider selling those if you ever feel like following such a path.

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1

A lot of truth here. I recently dug out my daughters little $30 walmart special. A little bit of fixing up from where it fell down from the pipes in the basement and it's surprisingly fun and, like you say, doesn't draw attention. I actually have a reasonable amount of 22lr but it's just a pain to get to shoot it. Thinking of upgrading to something a bit more adult sized and with a little more zip. I see they also have auto-loading air rifles but they are bit rich for my blood.

My rifle is a break barrel design and I have to put a pellet into it each time I want to shoot.
I think it has made me more attentive to hitting what I am aiming at with each pull of the trigger.
An auto loader might be fine for some folks but I think for what I have, it has made me work harder to achieve better accuracy because it is more work to load and shoot. I do find myself spending more time between shots with it and working on technique.

My .22 was a different story.
Had a habit of squeezing off rounds quicker just because I knew I had another round waiting to go if I didn`t put the projectile where it was supposed to go the first time.