125 or 158 grain lead bullets in a 357 lever action?

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/for%20sale/IMG_2033.jpg.html]IMG_2033.jpg[/URL]

Mine shows better promise with 158 grain loads.                                                 

I have a Rossi M92(now R92) in .357/.38, and have shot both. I find also find the heavier 158gr to be more accurate at 100 yds or less. For me the 125gr. tends to shoot a bit more hapazardly-- usually slightly to the left of center. The 158gr. doesn't give me this problem. I'm referring to standard round or truncated cone cartridges--  however, I don't do cowboy action, and have never shot hard cast lead through it, so your mileage may vary. As far as brands go, I've probably shot more Remington UMC and Fiocchi than anything else.

Edited by tartanphantom
To y'all that have Rossi 357 rifles, do you know anything about the newer Rossi/ Taurus rifles that have the lock in the back of the hammer? Are these just as good as the older ones? I have a 16" rifle and a Ranch Hand.I was thinking about selling or trading the RH and getting another Rossi rifle in 357. Just don't like the lock in the hammer.

I loaded 125, 158 and 180 grain cast bullets in 357 cases for a Rossi Trapper, off to the range for accuracy tests.  By far and away the 158 grain gave the tightest groups.  The mold pattern was the Lyman 358156, a gas check semi-wadcutter, wheelweight alloy, crimped in the top groove to give the shortest loaded length.  These cycled through the Rossi without any problems.  Sorry, I don't have the load data nearby, but remember this was a stout load (they all were) and would be perfectly satisfactory for hunting.  I would expect the same results with reduced recreational loads in this rifle.

Stumpy

• 3 weeks later...
I cast and load 158 gr. bullets over 5 grs. of HP-38/231 in .38 Spl cases. I shoot these is a single shot Handi rifle with good effect and a lot cheaper than one can buy .22 rf for these days.

The Handi is chambered for .357 Max which is a potent rifle cartridge with the same ballistics as a .35 Rem. The shorter .38 spl cases give reasonable accuracy despite the long jump from case mouth to the rifling of the Max.

Because of the high price and iffy availability of .22 rf., I am using this rifle and a Smith revolver to teach my grand children how to shoot a rifle and handgun.