Tactical vests

Do it. The quality will not disappoint, I promise. If you wanna get in lots of trouble just click around his website. Lots of very nice stuff.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I did, that's another problem. Do you what the difference is between the NSW and Modular NSW rigs? Looks like its the smoke grenade loops and $150...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I did, that's another problem. Do you what the difference is between the NSW and Modular NSW rigs? Looks like its the smoke grenade loops and $150...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The modular doesnt have the big dump style pouches. The nsw has the flat part with the mag pouches, then 2 open "radio" pouchs, then the two lidded dump style pouches. The dump style pouches arent on the modular rig

• Like 1

Great thread... thanks for all the input. I've bought a 5.11 tactical vest, but for around town and especially in the Vanderbilt area, I'm looking at this North Face vest.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-jackets-vests/men-39-s-nuptse-heights-vest.html?variationId=044&variationName=GRAPHITE%20GREY

At $180 and a North Face logo on front AND back, it screams rich, pampered yuppie who wants to save the baby seals, whales, and the environment.

No one would expect Anton Glock to say hello from under this garment, and that's the way I like it. 

Edited by jgradyc
At the top of the heap is OSOE (American Made). BDS is his X's operation that he started. Not near the quality. Buy once cry once. As CQB Elite said. He sold an OSOE to buy another OSOE. I have an OSOE "Patrol Vest" and it is excellent. I have met with the owner at his shop and he is very serious about making the best gear out there and his gear is very well known in military circles.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/patrolvest.html
  • Like 1

At the top of the heap is OSOE (American Made). BDS is his X's operation that he started. Not near the quality. Buy once cry once. As CQB Elite said. He sold an OSOE to buy another OSOE. I have an OSOE "Patrol Vest" and it is excellent. I have met with the owner at his shop and he is very serious about making the best gear out there and his gear is very well known in military circles.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/patrolvest.html

That was me that said that about OSOE. And they do make top tier stuff. It is definitely a life time investment kinda gear

No clue. I haven't been 140 since I was in high school.

It was probably more like 8th grade for me.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5th grade for me. 

I picked up one of these http://store.oldgrouch.biz/molleiiflcvest.html it is the usgi issue molle II FLC vest. you can add or move around any molle compatible pouches as needed. I have not got it totally outfitted but it looks like what I am going for. I got the late model with the zipper up the front. It said it was used but mine was brand new still in the plastic. Maybe some of the military guys on here have used these before and can give a review of actually wearing one. The price was right on it so I thought I would try it out. There is a lot of adjustment and it is a one size fits all. There is no belt and it rides kind of high so you can still use a belt of some kind if you want to. Old Grouch Surplus is top notch to deal with.

Edited by McGarrett
  • Like 1

5th grade for me.

I picked up one of these http://store.oldgrouch.biz/molleiiflcvest.html it is the usgi issue molle II FLC vest. you can add or move around any molle compatible pouches as needed. I have not got it totally outfitted but it looks like what I am going for. I got the late model with the zipper up the front. It said it was used but mine was brand new still in the plastic. Maybe some of the military guys on here have used these before and can give a review of actually wearing one. The price was right on it so I thought I would try it out. There is a lot of adjustment and it is a one size fits all. There is no belt and it rides kind of high so you can still use a belt of some kind if you want to. Old Grouch Surplus is top notch to deal with.

We got issued the newer zip up ones. Not many people ran them because of just attaching everything to the flak, but what little I did use mine it worked well

5th grade for me.

I picked up one of these http://store.oldgrouch.biz/molleiiflcvest.html it is the usgi issue molle II FLC vest. you can add or move around any molle compatible pouches as needed. I have not got it totally outfitted but it looks like what I am going for. I got the late model with the zipper up the front. It said it was used but mine was brand new still in the plastic. Maybe some of the military guys on here have used these before and can give a review of actually wearing one. The price was right on it so I thought I would try it out. There is a lot of adjustment and it is a one size fits all. There is no belt and it rides kind of high so you can still use a belt of some kind if you want to. Old Grouch Surplus is top notch to deal with.

We got issued the newer zip up ones. Not many people ran them because of just attaching everything to the flak, but what little I did use mine it worked well

Y'all are going to be disappointed in that vest.

I know the price is attractive, but a lot of the "tactical vests" on the market today are overblown photojournalist vests that they ran in ACU instead of khaki.

It might be okay if the only time you're going to put it on is when you take out the trash and then promptly go back inside, but wear it longer than that and you'll be disappointed. The craftsmanship, fit, adaptability and durability of that vest are lacking.

If you're looking for a vest, it's worth the money to get an actual MOLLE equipped plate carrier that you can customize when you figure out that the placement of all those magazines, Twinkies and whatever else you strap on there isn't to your liking. Or, if you're not going to use all that real estate to actually carry armor, you might consider a good belt and some mag carriers like HSGI makes.

HSGI makes really good stuff, I'm particularly fond of their Weesatch plate-carrier that I've been using for the last few years the quality & durability is top notch, my freedom of movement is outstanding, there is plenty of adjustments to fit just about anyone, it is extremely comfortable because all of the weight is very well dispersed (also due to the optional thickly padded shoulder pieces), the built in magazine, radio & admin pouches are all exactly where they should be, there is plenty of MOLLE space for additional gear/mag pouches (I added a couple of double sidearm magazine pouches just underneath the admin pouch, a FAK pouch on one shoulder harness, a radio on the other shoulder harness, & a large hydration carrier that sits on top of the rear plate).

The Weesatch can carry an awful lot of gear so I'd suggest anyone who is planning on loading it up to capacity & is planning to be wearing all of that weight for more than a couple hours at a time to make sure to also order the optional/additional thickly padded shoulder pieces, it'll make wearing all that armor, ammo & gear for long stretches a heck of alot more comfortable.

• Like 1

My "tactical" vest is for hard plates since i wear soft armor underneath.  I have the diamondback FAPC2 XL in conjunction with medium hard plates.  For reloading I use a Kangaroo Pouch in the front with 3 Mags, along with a medkit molle'd to the lower back and velcro sign on upper back.  I like it and you can even get it with soft armor if you want.  It's expensive though, but call and ask for discounts.  The material on the inside is made to breath a little easier and the strap system is nice when you can wear it for hours on end.

• Moderators

I run a plate carrier that anyone who was in the Marines in the last decade would recognize. Currently the setup is very basic as I haven't taken any courses or training lately to test it. I plan to address that this year as I am hoping to take a class with Max V. Tactical in the not too distant future.

Anyways, here is my PC right now.

10973209866_28aac94443_o.jpg

10973110245_c9f3bece69_o.jpg[

• Like 1

I run a plate carrier that anyone who was in the Marines in the last decade would recognize. Currently the setup is very basic as I haven't taken any courses or training lately to test it. I plan to address that this year as I am hoping to take a class with Max V. Tactical in the not too distant future.

Anyways, here is my PC right now.

Posted Image
Posted Image[

I loved mine. Comfortable, and easy to attach whatever you needed to it. The biggest issue was the bulk when trying to store them on the boat.

• Like 1