Brass Length Question

Hey guys-

I've started working up a bunch of (my own) brass that I collected from my range trips over the summer.

Over several hundred cases I've prepped so far, almost every single peice has been over the trim-to-length and has required trimming, which I would expect. BTW, it's .223 Rem. 

However, I've come across one particular batch of brass, all of one headstamp, where none of the pieces are even at the minimum trim to length after being once-fired.  They're all too short too trim, and there's really no way I can think of that I'd be able to properly seat a bullet in these cases in order to reach the COL measurement.

Any ideas why this brass would be so short? It seems weird to me that, after being fired, the cases would not have lenghthened. Or, if they did lenghten, they must have all been factory loaded very short to begin with.  ??????

Are the case necks gone? You should be able to load to the proper COAL unless the bullets are way to short, like 30 grain Hornet bullets.

I trim my 223 brass to 1.745". I do this so I do not have to trim every single time. I can get 3-4 loadings before I have to trim. I have even used cases that were trimmed down below 1.740" without issue. 1.760" is the max not the required length and honestly if all your brass is at 1.760" you might have some pressure problems in some guns that have shorter throats.

I consider not having to trim as a bonus.

• Like 1

silly question, but - You are resizing, THEN trimming, right?

I have never ran across any short factory brass other than in something like Hornady FTX (for lever guns) in .30-30 & .45 Colt etc .  Certainly not in .223, anyway.

Edited by R_Bert

Yes, I'm resizing and then trimming, and the case necks are still there, as well.

I just found it odd that, for example, all of the Remington brass that I've been working has needed to be trimmed, where this particular batch (Federal) has been so much shorter that the trim-to-length.

You will still be able to make the COAL, even if the neck is almost gone.

Consider it a bonus that you do not need to trim.

Federal, by the way, tends to have other issues as well. I toss any Federal I find in my end of the world bucket and the only time I will use it is when it is the only brass I have left.

You will still be able to make the COAL, even if the neck is almost gone.

Consider it a bonus that you do not need to trim.

Federal, by the way, tends to have other issues as well. I toss any Federal I find in my end of the world bucket and the only time I will use it is when it is the only brass I have left.

Gordon, can you expound on issues with Federal?

It does seem that the alloy is a bit harder than Remington.

Yes, I'm resizing and then trimming, and the case necks are still there, as well.

I just found it odd that, for example, all of the Remington brass that I've been working has needed to be trimmed, where this particular batch (Federal) has been so much shorter that the trim-to-length.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I've had 3 different brands of factory ammo that I shot, tumbled and resized that measured under the "trim to length. One batch of Privi (PPU) was well under the trim to length after being fired once and resized. Like Dolomite said, Consider it a bonus that you don't have to trim it this time. After you load and fire it a few more times it will eventually grow to be like the others.

As case length really doesn't effect COAL except in extreme cases of short or long. COAL is measured from the base of the case to the tip or ogive of the bullet, a case thats to long or to short will only change where the neck of the case reaches on the bullet. There are other things that extremely long or short cases can and will effect i.e.. pressure, neck tension(or lack of) just to name a few but a few thousandths below trim to or above max isn't going to make or break you.