Official Muzzleloader Thread/Hunt results

Let's make this the Official Muzzleloader Thread. Let's put pictures of our rifles if you want, and how about some pictures of our targets we shoot as we get ready for the season to start. Pictures of our game we harvest (or not). Let's keep it fun.

Lets keep this thread on topic and keep it going until the end of ML season.

Let's hear the hunting stories also!

What do y'all think?

DaveS

I shot mine a couple weeks ago to hunt Fort Campbell's pigs, but didn't get to go. I will shoot it again...for no other reason than....well, I just love to shoot BP! Has anyone looked for "Black Powder" at Bass Pro in Nashville? I may make a trip down next week to pick some up.

DaveS

has any body shot the white hot's?  would like to know how they did are they worth the extra cost, or were there any other benefits to using them.

thanks

ron

Ron; I've never shot them and don't know anyone who has. At one time or another I have tried all those fake powders. I have never, nor will I ever, shoot pre measured "pellets" in any of my guns.  Reason being is it doesn't take that much powder to move a bullet down range.  I hear people shooting 3 Pyrodex pellets (150 grains of powder totaI) out of their guns. That much powder is not needed to be accurate and effective. You're wasting powder and beating yourself to death in the process. I deer hunt with .50 cals and all three of them shoot 80 grains of true black powder. I've never had a problem with black powder (well almost), and I'm hitting coke bottles at a hundred yards, and I'm very happy.

I'm a pure black powder man Ron, sorry I couldn't give you a report on "White Hot's".

DaveS

Edited by DaveS

Glad I went out today and shot some rounds.  I would have swore I was sighted in, but too my surprise, I wasn't anywhere close.  It got cold and windy before I could clean my gun and shoot for a group, but below is my setup.  

TC Bone Collector

Leupold UltimateSlam 3-9

I shoot 100gr Pyrodex and 250gr Hornady SST bullets.

Muzzleloader.JPG

Glad I went out today and shot some rounds.  I would have swore I was sighted in, but too my surprise, I wasn't anywhere close.  It got cold and windy before I could clean my gun and shoot for a group, but below is my setup.  

TC Bone Collector

Leupold UltimateSlam 3-9

I shoot 100gr Pyrodex and 250gr Hornady SST bullets.

Muzzleloader.JPG

Hozzie, that's a sweet looking rifle! I hope you get her sighted in. We're running out of time!

DaveS

Going to shoot mine after while. Mine are a TCA Renagade .54, and a CVA 1858 .45 revolver. In the Renagade I use 85 to 90 gr. fff black powder, and in the revolver 30 to 35 grs.

Love the smell ot that stuff.

Not very good at the picture thing. sorry

• Like 1

Ive been to the range the last two weekends checking zero on my Savage smokeless and centerfire deer rifles. Im shooting 44.5 grains AA5744 with a Hornady 300gr XTP and MMP black sabot. Cant hardly wait for the 9th to get here.

IMAG0168.jpg
IMAG0188.jpg

Nice Buck...nothing like taking one with a smoke pole!

DaveS

Here's my old faithful, 'Long Tom'

42" Colerain barrel, 1:56" round bottom rifling, 85gn of FFG Goex black powder, .530 round ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with hog oil & beeswax.

Home made shooting bag, home made horn.

Shoots 3" high at 50yds, 3" low at 100 & I can hold a one-hole, 5 shot group, offhand at 50. At 100, I'm around 3-4" groups

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/robtattoo/media/IMG_20131104_141441_zps585ddd3c.jpg.html]IMG_20131104_141441_zps585ddd3c.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

Here's my old faithful, 'Long Tom'

42" Colerain barrel, 1:56" round bottom rifling, 85gn of FFG Goex black powder, .530 round ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with hog oil & beeswax.

Home made shooting bag, home made horn.

Shoots 3" high at 50yds, 3" low at 100 & I can hold a one-hole, 5 shot group, offhand at 50. At 100, I'm around 3-4" groups

IMG_20131104_141441_zps585ddd3c.jpg

Friggin nice Rob!!!

DaveS

• Like 1

Thank ye' Dave!

I was really hoping to have my .62 Fusil de Chasse ready by this season, but unfortunately the guy doing the stock carving & engraving suffered a pretty major setback. Actually, his right arm pretty much fell off (not kidding) so I'll have to wait 'til next year for the flincher :(

I checked my scope today and did a little scouting on my property, all in all I fell good about all of it.

Here's my "go to" deer git'r!  CVA Wolf with a cheap azz Konus 3x9x40 scope. But hey..she shoots good!

30c7fc61-3ad7-462e-9875-d121e95bc85c_zps

Here's my set up...  80 grains BP and 240 grain Saboted .45 XTP Bullet

bb030716-3e7c-405e-bbfa-2451c4ef27f6_zps

One shot, one kill. It don't get no better than this (almost)! Sorry, I just had to post this!

95a2e762-5baf-4287-ba5b-d60a5d4e81d5_zps

I can't wait till this weekend!

DaveS

Thank ye' Dave!

I was really hoping to have my .62 Fusil de Chasse ready by this season, but unfortunately the guy doing the stock carving & engraving suffered a pretty major setback. Actually, his right arm pretty much fell off (not kidding) so I'll have to wait 'til next year for the flincher :(

Sorry to hear that Rob. You'll love shooting a "rock lock"! I do!

DaveS

thanks for the reply on the white hot pellets, I did shoot some this past weekend but having never shot BP in the past I have nothing to compare it to.  We got started late in the day at the shooting complex and fired the PB last, when in retrospect we should have fired it 1st.  So we will be out again on Friday to zero it in, we were bore sighting it last night, so hopefully it will zero with very little problems and be ready for Saturday.  And with any luck I will get to post some photos of the rig and the doe that has my name already on it.  :)

thanks for the reply on the white hot pellets, I did shoot some this past weekend but having never shot BP in the past I have nothing to compare it to.  We got started late in the day at the shooting complex and fired the PB last, when in retrospect we should have fired it 1st.  So we will be out again on Friday to zero it in, we were bore sighting it last night, so hopefully it will zero with very little problems and be ready for Saturday.  And with any luck I will get to post some photos of the rig and the doe that has my name already on it.  :)

Sounds good Ron. We need to get some pictures up on here this weekend!

DaveS

As of today (11-21-13) with Muzzleloader;

1. Hozzie: 11-9-13  5 pointer.

c41c060a-6324-489a-ab5d-f3aa5f893b66_zps

2. JWC; 11-1-13  Doe

9c1d78b1-7cec-4ed7-b4b6-fe28199fa548_zps

3. Shaun  (no pic yet)

4. Slappy; 11-16-13  Doe

363cc136-773b-48fe-a656-52a48b930754_zps

5. Robtattoo; 11-18-13  6 point

a5b38306-46a3-4d06-9eeb-838b64ea62ad_zps

6. Madk0w64; 11-19-13  4 point