Trying to play the Walmart .22 game

Either that or change the times the ammo is available.   Instead of 7AM, maybe switch to 7PM and then the "old geezers" will be in bed...   :)

Or go one step further and draw a random time each day to put it out. This would work great as long as the employees didn't start making calls to friends and the regulars that may have greased their palm. At least if they change the time each day there is no good way to buy every box that comes in unless they are willing to stand there 24/7 but then they'd have no time for reselling.

Someone suggested putting the ammo out several times per day. Well, all good in theory until you realize the people who have to stock the ammo have other things to do besides worry about ammo. The managers are always delegating other jobs and tasks that the employees need to be doing. After all, Wal-mart isn't just an ammo and gun store, they sell other things as well and can't spend all their time putting out ammo just to satisfy those who can't get any.

Just my opinion. If youwant to really make it hard on the resellers, try to photo them and post it online, let everyone know who these jokers are and tell them to not buy from them.

• Like 1

Someone suggested putting the ammo out several times per day. Well, all good in theory until you realize the people who have to stock the ammo have other things to do besides worry about ammo. The managers are always delegating other jobs and tasks that the employees need to be doing. After all, Wal-mart isn't just an ammo and gun store, they sell other things as well and can't spend all their time putting out ammo just to satisfy those who can't get any.

Just my opinion. If youwant to really make it hard on the resellers, try to photo them and post it online, let everyone know who these jokers are and tell them to not buy from them.

Good comments overall. Lots of people never worked retail and don't understand the things that go on behind the scenes at WW.

The pic idea is good. But is it legal/ethical? After all, you are taking a pic of an individual and posting it on a public forum, so I wonder if there would be an legalities involved.

Good comments overall. Lots of people never worked retail and don't understand the things that go on behind the scenes at WW.

The pic idea is good. But is it legal/ethical? After all, you are taking a pic of an individual and posting it on a public forum, so I wonder if there would be an legalities involved.

There is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

• Like 1

Ha!! I had the same thought - put it out at night.  Sure would be nice.

But, unless that's when they normally stock, they won't; not because they care to cater to hoarders/resellers but because they are running a business and the goal is to sell their products.  Oh well.

But still nice to daydream about an 11 PM stocking - some of those idiots would try to get out there a few times, then give up because it would screw up their entire day/night cycle.  KIND OF LIKE NORMAL WORKING GUYS TRYING TO ARRIVE AT 4 AM AND SIT AROUND FOR A FEW HOURS ON THE OFF CHANCE THAT SOME AMMO MIGHT COME IN.

Oh well - I should stop hating; sure not doing me any good.  Besides:  I can pee whenever I want, and all at once.  And I can chew mixed nuts.  And lest you think I'm still a hater, I hope to be old someday as well, and lots of older guys are the best on the planet, such as our few remaining WWII/Korea vets.  Hoarders/resellers are the enemy.  BUT, the intersection of those two sets can be a doozy; the selfish mentality of h/rs as well as the mindset of "I get up at 3 AM every day even though I'm retired so I'm better than you" is a deadly combination.  Too bad from 1-5 PM you're asleep in your easy chair with your mouth hanging open.

Ha!! I had the same thought - put it out at night.  Sure would be nice.

But, unless that's when they normally stock, they won't; not because they care to cater to hoarders/resellers but because they are running a business and the goal is to sell their products.  Oh well.

But still nice to daydream about an 11 PM stocking - some of those idiots would try to get out there a few times, then give up because it would screw up their entire day/night cycle.  KIND OF LIKE NORMAL WORKING GUYS TRYING TO ARRIVE AT 4 AM AND SIT AROUND FOR A FEW HOURS ON THE OFF CHANCE THAT SOME AMMO MIGHT COME IN.

Oh well - I should stop hating; sure not doing me any good.  Besides:  I can pee whenever I want, and all at once.  And I can chew mixed nuts.  And lest you think I'm still a hater, I hope to be old someday as well, and lots of older guys are the best on the planet, such as our few remaining WWII/Korea vets.  Hoarders/resellers are the enemy.  BUT, the intersection of those two sets can be a doozy; the selfish mentality of h/rs as well as the mindset of "I get up at 3 AM every day even though I'm retired so I'm better than you" is a deadly combination.  Too bad from 1-5 PM you're asleep in your easy chair with your mouth hanging open.

What do you consider a "hoarder"?

I don't know what the deal is at the Walmart in Bartlett/Wolfchase. Went in there the other day and went by the gun/ammo section and nothing...I mean nothing. All of the ammo cases were completely empty and both gun cases were empty. I asked an employee what the deal was and he said the cases were broken...they didn't look broken to me and there were no signs on the cases indicating any issue or where you should go if you wanted to buy anything. Of course there is never anyone at the gun desk anyway in that Walmart. I wonder if the manager has decided to shut down that department or if the cases were in fact broken. :shrug:  

I don't know what the deal is at the Walmart in Bartlett/Wolfchase. Went in there the other day and went by the gun/ammo section and nothing...I mean nothing. All of the ammo cases were completely empty and both gun cases were empty. I asked an employee what the deal was and he said the cases were broken...they didn't look broken to me and there were no signs on the cases indicating any issue or where you should go if you wanted to buy anything. Of course there is never anyone at the gun desk anyway in that Walmart. I wonder if the manager has decided to shut down that department or if the cases were in fact broken. :shrug:  

They could have been broken. The ammo and guns were probably moved to a more secure lockup room in the back. I'm sure the sporting goods person is at the gun desk on occasion, just they sell more than just guns and ammo at wal-mart. Sometimes the store is so understaffed the sporting goods person on duty gets called to another department. I know there is nobody scheduled in these departments after 10 pm, everyone that works at wal-mart is supposed to take a lunch and 2 (15) min breaks. Might be when you're there, the person assigned there is on lunch, break or doing something besides being in the ammo/gun area.

For darn sure someone who has been at Walmart every morning for the last year.

Our WalMarts have just in the last month or two started having anything more than large rifle (7mm mag, 300mag, and a few others) ammo in the cases. Now they have a decent selection. They put the ammo out at 7am at the location closest to me and i've not been in any earlier than 4 or 5pm so it isn't flying off the shelf anymore. I guess the reason I asked is, There was little to no ammo being put out for most of the last year and then a few months back it started picking up a little so it got me thinking... If I had gone to WalMart 5 days per week and they only put out ammo on three of those days, that's 9 boxes per week, rifle being 20rds and pistol 50rds. If I bought 5 rifle and 4 pistol then I have 100rds for my AR or? and 200rds of pistol. I average shooting more than this so buying at this rate would not even keep up with my shooting needs much less put me into the hoarder camp. Now if truth were known, I would say that for the first 6 months after Sandy Hook very few folks were getting 9 boxes per week even if they were at WalMart every morning so that would have put someone with my shooting needs at an even larger deficit. I was very fortunate to have quite a large stock of reloading supplies before any of this happened because I bought more than I "needed" for that week. I call it thinking ahead so that I don't get caught with my pants down. To me, the difference between a shooter and a hoarder is not a concrete number because everyone shoots different quantities in any given period of time as well as everyone having a different idea of what is a good number of rounds to have on hand is. I don't know many folks (especially on TGO or any gun forum for that matter) that would turn down the opportunity to have 10,000rds on hand for every caliber they shoot. I guess it all depends on who it is that has the stockpile. I am with you on the resellers that seem to have the connections with the right people in the Wally World food chain though! Scuzz!

Good comments, Luke.

Like you, I did have a reasonable supply of my favorite shooting calibers on hand last Dec/Jan. So I wasn't in the fix some were.

But that doesn't mean I stopped looking and buying. And still haven't. As others have said and done, I would go into Walmart once a week, varied times and days; whenever I happened to pass by, or when actually doing other shopping.

Throughout it all, I saw virtually nothing but basic hunting calibers and shotgun rounds. Since this started, I can tell you I've managed to find 900rounds of 45. 100 rounds of 38. And that's been all I could get retail. Never any 9/22/357/. I did see some 40, but as that is something I don't shoot a lot, I didn't buy any.

In the last 2 weeks, I've begun to see more 45 sitting on the shelves, 40, a few 38, but as yet, no 22.

Maybe, as others are saying; we are seeing the return to normal, albeit slowly. I hope so.

But in any event, anytime I find some, I intend to buy whatever I find in the major calibers for me. Won't go every day. Won't try to go in and out several times as I've heard being done, and won't deprive someone else the opportunity to buy.

I will however, build up my supply to a comfortable point for me, and that number varies by caliber. I'll probably never reach that 10000 rounds each gun/caliber; But I don't intend to get caught short either.

Definitely not a reseller, it's been too hard to come by. And don't consider myself a hoarder. Although my wife used to say that when I'd come in with several boxes of multiple calibers at the same time. LOL

She did however get the message and see what was happening last year. She came in one night and actually asked if I need to go buy some ammo. And still will occasionally ask if I found any more.

I got a good woman. Edited by hipower

Good comments, Luke.

Like you, I did have a reasonable supply of my favorite shooting calibers on hand last Dec/Jan. So I wasn't in the fix some were.

But that doesn't mean I stopped looking and buying. And still haven't. As others have said and done, I would go into Walmart once a week, varied times and days; whenever I happened to pass by, or when actually doing other shopping.

Throughout it all, I saw virtually nothing but basic hunting calibers and shotgun rounds. Since this started, I can tell you I've managed to find 900rounds of 45. 100 rounds of 38. And that's been all I could get retail. Never any 9/22/357/. I did see some 40, but as that is something I don't shoot a lot, I didn't buy any.

In the last 2 weeks, I've begun to see more 45 sitting on the shelves, 40, a few 38, but as yet, no 22.

Maybe, as others are saying; we are seeing the return to normal, albeit slowly. I hope so.

But in any event, anytime I find some, I intend to buy whatever I find in the major calibers for me. Won't go every day. Won't try to go in and out several times as I've heard being done, and won't deprive someone else the opportunity to buy.

I will however, build up my supply to a comfortable point for me, and that number varies by caliber. I'll probably never reach that 10000 rounds each gun/caliber; But I don't intend to get caught short either.

Definitely not a reseller, it's been too hard to come by. And don't consider myself a hoarder. Although my wife used to say that when I'd come in with several boxes of multiple calibers at the same time. LOL

She did however get the message and see what was happening last year. She came in one night and actually asked if I need to go buy some ammo. And still will occasionally ask if I found any more.

I got a good woman.

I'd say you do have a good women! I consider myself lucky as well. I've been around a group of guys griping about their wives and had them say things like "what, you scared she's gonna find out you were griping about her?" I am fortunate enough to be able to answer by stating that No, i'm not scared, it's just that not only does she not give me much reason to gripe but rather she tends to give me an awful lot of reasons to brag on her. About an hour ago she caught me looking at a Dillon 650 press and started asking me about it. I was a little confused because she cares nothing about learning anything to do with loading ammo. I told her that one day I would like to have one of them but that I know it won't be anytime in the near future. She looked at me and said that I should go buy it for myself! I said I we didn't need to spend our money on that right now but she said it could be my Christmas if it made me feel any better about it. 

I was just throwing 10,000 rounds out there as a number to make a point. I don't have enough supplies to load 10,000rds of each caliber I shoot. I don't have nearly as much as I did last year at this time because i've been holding out for supply prices to come back down which they have been coming back down some so i've been buying a little more as money allows. Like you though, even when prices were high and I wasn't out like a lot of folks I was still buying anytime I found something reasonable. If that defines a hoarder then guilty as charged but at least when the president and his merry band of idiots makes another unconstitutional moved, i'll still be shooting. It's all about perspective I guess huh.