What do you do when you encounter a posted business?

When I see that a business is posted I...  

128 members have voted

1. 1. When I see that a business is posted I...

• Go elsewhere, not spending my money there.
    • Go on in and keep my gun concealed, it's no ones business if I'm carrying.
    • Disarm and go on in.

Check TCA 39-17-1359. It has the rules about posting. A written sign has to have specific language that the statute provides. The circle/slash (aka "gunbuster") logo is sufficient so if it's there regardless of a written sign, it's a proper posting.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Basically, the property or portion of a property beyond a proper posting is off limits. Carrying past it is a Class B misdememanor with a fine of $500. A conviction is supposed to result in TDOS suspending the HCP for 12 months, but they may do it just from a charge even without a conviction. I don't know for sure.

The TN AG issued an opinion about "properly posted" and my reading of that is that he thinks a cardboard sign written in crayon saying "no guns" is good enough. IIRC, that opinion was issued prior to the latest revision of the law to clarify the language requirements, but I can't say for sure and don't have time right now to go check the dates.

Anecdotaly, it seems that the most likely scenario is that if you're made in a posted no-guns zone, you'd be asked to leave and nothing more unless you make a stink about it. Schools being an obvious exception to that, but they're not goverened by 39-17-1359. They get their own special exclusions. AFAIK, there has only been one case with 39-17-1359 and that was the motorcycle dealership in the Memphis area where a guy carried in right past a sign and a security guard in a place that had experienced a shooting in its past. I don't know the sepcifics or the final outcome of that case.

Edited by monkeylizard

The only business I go into that I do disarm is the Post Office if I am shipping off packages of baits to customers. I am working on figuring out how to get them picked up at the house so I don't even have to go there. If I approach a business that is posted like I said earlier. If my concealed gun is not welcome neither is my money.