Is a trust really $2000?

I am looking to start a trust for my future NFA stuff... made a few phone calls in trust lawyers, and it sounds like $2000 is the number to get one going that is a good after death trust... is this right? Also, is the E-file a faster way to get a stamp back?

It depends on what you mean by "good after death." Trusts come in several different varies, but the vast majority of clients are only trying to do the minimum to comply with ATF regulations. In those cases, $2000 is way out of the ballpark. If you are trying to protect the trust assets from creditors, create a "perpetual" trust, or address any number of other true estate planning issues, then $2000 is probably a good starting point.
Chip hit this right on the nose. If you're trying to establish a lower hassle way to acquire NFA items , $2,000 is quite high. If you are trying to establish some sophisticated estate planning, that cost may not be unreasonable. I'd be happy to talk to you about what you're needing the trust to accomplish if you'd like.
  • Like 2

All I can say is that Chip has done mine and many others on this site.  I would give him a call and see what he can do for you.  

Not knocking John, but I haven't worked with him personally.  He is an authorized vendor so maybe give them both a call and see which one you like.  

• 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.