Well I guess Krogers rule on the side of Greedy!!!!

bersaguy

Far as I'm concerned, in Clarksville, Krogers is the best place to shop, and I do the grocery shopping. Publix has a better selection

of produce, but the rest is overpriced. Food Lion is another version of Winn Dixie, which I once worked at and has flown the coop

in Middle TN. Didn't know about how intrusive the card was, but I use the heck out of it.

And like TMF said, I don't have to get a dose of Wal Mart to get my groceries.

I think Kroger is pretty good competition for Wal-Mart. Not everyone is a price buyer; Kroger has better stuff than Wal-Mart. My wife quit shopping at Wal-Mart a long time ago and it wasn’t all over price.

I agree but I will also add that we save quite a bit buying groceries at Kroger opposed to Walmart. We normally stop in at Walmart to get the toiletry items and stuff like that as it is usually cheaper there but for the most part the grocery bill is way cheaper at Kroger.

As far as the discount thing goes, I am on the "it's their business ,they can do what they want" team. 

Regarding the Kroger card. I don't mind carrying it for the 10 cents off of gas. If we didn't have the card how would Shell know to give us the 10 cents.

Edited by maroonandwhite

I think Kroger is pretty good competition for Wal-Mart. Not everyone is a price buyer; Kroger has better stuff than Wal-Mart. My wife quit shopping at Wal-Mart a long time ago and it wasn’t all over price.

Dave, I'd go as far as saying Kroger's prices are probably better than Wal Mart's. My wife quit Kroger's, years ago, and starting going to Food Lion. I put up

with that for a while until FL didn't have some things I wanted(produce section is a bit small to me). Since I'm the one stuck at home, now, and do the grocery

runs, I went back to Kroger's. At least I know what I get there.

I might look at going up there to KY since I am only about 15 miles from State line. might be worth the trip if I do my main shopping for the month up there........... :up:  :up:  :up:

We do our grocery shopping once a month for 95% of our food as well, it's almost a whole day event.

The Kroger's in Murray, Ky. puts any Walmart Super Center grocery to shame IMO. It's huge, very clean and has a much better selection of anything you want. Leaving Kroger's and going to Walmart is like visiting the old time confectionary's. :pleased:

Sounds like you might live close to me, I'm also about 15 miles from the Hazel, KY. state line.

We do our grocery shopping once a month for 95% of our food as well, it's almost a whole day event.

The Kroger's in Murray, Ky. puts any Walmart Super Center grocery to shame IMO. It's huge, very clean and has a much better selection of anything you want. Leaving Kroger's and going to Walmart is like visiting the old time confectionary's. :pleased:

Sounds like you might live close to me, I'm also about 15 miles from the Hazel, KY. state line.

I live in Gallatin which is down the ridge from Portland. I need to do some research and see where the nearest Kroger store is to me in KY.

...I live alone, just me and the old dog and I actually spend more money on her food items than I do mine sometimes. Some friends have told me I am crazy for spending that kind of money on a dog but she is my very best friend and if your going to have a dog it is your responsibility to provide for it just as you would any family member but that may only be my way of thinking....

No; it isn't only your way of thinking...it really isn't. More than that it's the RIGHT way of thinking.

I hit Kroger frequently, but do the Big Grocery Shop every 6 or 8 weeks at Sam's. Pretty much save the whole yearly 35 clams membership fee in one trip compared to Kroger, mostly just on meat alone.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I like the Kroger in springfield. Its a really nice store and I like their meats. But I hardly ever go unless something in the flyer just really catches my eye. I stick with wally world and for meats I go to my local pleasant view h.g. hills. I go wherever the sale is lol.

Dave, I'd go as far as saying Kroger's prices are probably better than Wal Mart's. My wife quit Kroger's, years ago, and starting going to Food Lion. I put up
with that for a while until FL didn't have some things I wanted(produce section is a bit small to me). Since I'm the one stuck at home, now, and do the grocery
runs, I went back to Kroger's. At least I know what I get there.

That one on Madison is a little dodgy the few times I've been in there, though. I was a little surprised to see that. Still, no comparison to the creatures you see in a Walmart.
Strange, it used to be the only one for years. I
have never been in the other one. Since the
60's, this one has moved four times and it got
only this far. When I was little, Dad and I would go to the Kroger downtown. He would go back to the meat department and yak with the manager, then
come out with some great steaks. He'd have to walk over the scales, though, every time. To see how much he sampled. One of their running jokes.

Y'know, with Aldi, some of that stuff is name brands, just not name brands that the US is used to.

As to Kroger, it's my favorite out of Walmart, Food Lion, Ceebees and itself out here in Dickson. I wish there was a Publix though. My wife prefers Food Lion but it gives me the heebies.

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1
I get lost in Food Lion. I went in there the other day and I'll
bet they thought I was casing the joint. Kept going back and
forth looking and couldn't find what I wanted, so I finally
walked out. Publix is too expensive on everything I look at,
compared to Kroger. Walmart is just too crazy. I have never
liked going in one.

FWIW, I never carry my Kroger card. You can just type in whatever phone number you signed up with at the card swiper. Alterntively, if you just want the discounts, the checkers usually have a card they'll scan for you.

Food Lion here is usually empty. I think it's because it's next to K-mart which is also always empty. I'm surprised K-mart stays in business (There are continued rumors of its demise). I just don't like their selection.

Edited by tnguy

Been there for a long time. It has seen better days, hasn't it?

But the only reason I go to the left is to go to Nashville, and the Chinese buffet. I try to stay out of Walmart.

Edited by 6.8 AR

As far as the greed goes, it's called marketing. If they want to market to someone else, that's their prerogative. I usually go for

sale items and stock up. Most of the time that works out. If you've noticed the price of food, lately, you'll know what inflation really

looks like.

I wouldn't call an entity like a grocery store greedy. That term should be left for humans.