Hmm...this seems legit.

I ordered some crush washers for my flash hider from this seller and then looked at what other items they had listed. I think they are playing with fire here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-28-to-3-4-16-Oil-Filter-Thread-Adapter-Stainless-Steel-Solvent-Trap-Adapter-/261155049870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cce0dd18e

I don't think it will end well for them.

-southernasylum

Nothing illegal in what they are selling.  You can't be held liable for someone using your product in a way that makes it illegal (although I am sure someone would sue if something bad happened as with everything in America).  The whole oil filter as a suppressor issue has been discussed before.  It's not illegal to sell an oil filter/solvent trap.  It's illegal for the buyer to try and use it as a suppressor.

Edited by Hozzie

That's a lot cheaper than I've seen them for sale other places.  Makes me want to refresh my memory on the regulations about making your own suppressor.

It's still the $200 tax if you make it yourself I believe. There's a company in KY that sells the adapters as suppressors and the adapter is the registered part. You use what ever oil filter you want with it. I just think it's funny how the ATF is lenient on intended use in this case but if you just have an extra stock in your home with an AR pistol you can be charged with manufacturing an NFA item. At least that seems to be the consensus. I think I'll stick with newspaper for my solvent catching needs.

-southernasylum

P.S.

I wish I was the one to come up with this! They've got several different listings of these and have sold thousands of these "solvent trap adapters" at $13.99 each. I wish them well. I really am glad they are being left alone, just a bit surprised.

Edited by southernasylum

....but if you just have an extra stock in your home with an AR pistol you can be charged with manufacturing an NFA item...

Not as long as you also have a legal "useful purpose" for the stock.  Same here with this adapter and an oil filter -- as long as there is a legal usage for a collection of parts, doesn't matter if there is also an illegal usage. (and that's from SCOTUS, not BATF).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It's still the $200 tax if you make it yourself I believe. There's a company in KY that sells the adapters as suppressors and the adapter is the registered part. You use what ever oil filter you want with it. I just think it's funny how the ATF is lenient on intended use in this case but if you just have an extra stock in your home with an AR pistol you can be charged with manufacturing an NFA item. At least that seems to be the consensus. I think I'll stick with newspaper for my solvent catching needs.

-southernasylum

P.S.

I wish I was the one to come up with this! They've got several different listings of these and have sold thousands of these "solvent trap adapters" at $13.99 each. I wish them well. I really am glad they are being left alone, just a bit surprised.

I've seen the place that listed them as NFA items... Something like $80 plus the tax stamp if I recall, which I thought was absurd.  $14 is a little closer to reality. 

Guest Lester Weevils
Do they make long skinny oil filters? I'd never try it, but the usual fat oil filter, wouldn't it obscure the sights on a lot of guns?

Do they make long skinny oil filters? I'd never try it, but the usual fat oil filter, wouldn't it obscure the sights on a lot of guns?

There was a video in which someone found a filter that was something like 1.5" OD and like 8" long.

The problem with these is the ATF views any part of a suppressor as the suppressor. So if you have extra parts for your legal suppressor you can be charged with illegal possession of a suppressor. And the adapter with the washer could be viewed as an end cap which is illegal unless it is part of a registered suppressor. The only part of a suppressor that is considered legal to have as a spare is a wipe.

Even if a person says a baffle they have is just a paperweight it is still an illegal suppressor. Even if it is not being used as a suppressor and is just a hunk of metal that looks like a baffle it is still considered a suppressor.

It all comes down to the agent and up until now they have not ruled, as far as I have seen, about the legality or illegality of the solvent traps. I will say about a decade ago there was a guy who made and patented a plastic adapter that allowed you to screw a plastic bottle onto a threaded barrel. He also called it a "solvent trap" and said it was to catch the cleaning supplies that came out the end of the barrel. The ATF ruled the plastic adapter was a suppressor and must be registered if you planned on keeping them.

Personally I honk the ATF is just not enforcing it. The reason I believe this is I recently seen the plastic solvent trap that used plastic bottles advertised for sale by a MAJOR sporting goods store.