Nite Sites -vs- mounted light?

What would you say would be the benefit of one over the other? Me, I'm going to say the light would be more beneficial to me. I can't understand where only seeing your sites would be on any benefit if you can't identify your target. I'd hate to shoot one the kids sneaking in, sometime in the middle of the night as you hear about ever so often.

What about you?

• Admin Team
Both for me. It doesn't matter how bright your sights are if you can't identify what's down range. With the TFOs I run, the back scatter from the light makes the light pipes in the sights light up like a Christmas tree.

It's not one or the other. It's a system.
  • Like 2

As a cop, I use both but a couple of things ... 1, ANYTHING with batteries will and can die at the most inappropriate times.  Ask ME how I know ;o)  .... 2, While my mounted light illuminates the target, my eyes are behind the light and therefore I can't see any non-night sights at 2AM in the morning unless someone is behind me with a light ;o)

So, light for target, night sites for better target aquisition... IF you're going to ever be or think you'll need to shoot at night, night sights are a must.  I don't do much night work anymore but I always replace any pistols I have with night sights... better have them and don't need them than the other

Another always for me is even though I have a mounted light on my pistol and patrol rifles... I STILL carry a flashlight on my person... even during the day... always finding myself needing it even during the day... we ALL like to run for cover and concealment... even the bad guys ;o)

Outside that, use what you must to properly identify all targets .. human or not!! - ALWAYS!!

Both for me. It doesn't matter how bright your sights are if you can't identify what's down range. With the TFOs I run, the back scatter from the light makes the light pipes in the sights light up like a Christmas tree.

It's not one or the other. It's a system.

This

I run both a weapon light and tritium sights

You don’t need sights inside a house; you need to be able to identify your target. If you think there is any possibility you could kill one of your kids sneaking in you need to address that issue. I would say you need light. I don’t have that concern because I keep lights on in the house outside the bedroom. I have a flashlight in case the power goes out.