VA resident purchasing shotgun from FFL dealer in TN

Guest Thoen

Hello all!

I am a student here in the state of TN, and will be changing my state residency to TN once I graduate, however, I am currently still a VA resident.

My question is, am I legally able to purchase a shotgun (or any long gun for that matter) from a FFL dealer like Nashville Armory? I know that I am required to be a resident of the state I wish to purchase a handgun in, but does this rule apply to long guns as well?

Thanks!
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you may.  I have had the same issue of Va. residency and TN location as you.  One of the most savvy FFLs I know in the area is Phil Mitchell at Bellshire Hardware.  Call him at 615 860 4212.  $35 per transfer including TBI.

Well, there is no transfer fee buying from a TN shop, just the $10 TICS.

- OS

As everyone has said; its legal for a long gun, but the FFL’s I have seen asked wouldn’t do it. They are responsible for complying with the laws of both states; so they may not want to mess with it.

You might try shooting a PM to some of the dealers in the vendor section and see if any of the ones around you will do it.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! 

I have actually already made this purchase, and actually did so back in October. I was recently having a conversation with a friend who works part time at a local gun shop about the ability to do an FFL transfer of a Spikes Tactical stripped lower. He informed me that the reason his boss would not do a transfer to me was that as a non-TN resident, I was not legally allowed to purchase a firearm in the state. However, we have now, thanks to your help, cleared that up!

With that being said, do you all have any recommendations on shops that will take an order and transfer it to me? I know that Nashville Armory and Nashvile Sporting Arms do not.

Thanks!

Isn't there a way for college students that reside here even though they are from outof state to purchase a firearm without a transfer?

I think you are referring to the exemption that allows soldiers stationed in Tn. to purchase weapons in-state without transferring.

I have actually already made this purchase, and actually did so back in October.

I don't understand. You already bought a long gun from TN FFL but wanted to know if you could?

about the ability to do an FFL transfer of a Spikes Tactical stripped lower. He informed me that the reason his boss would not do a transfer to me was that as a non-TN resident, I was not legally allowed to purchase a firearm in the state. However, we have now, thanks to your help, cleared that up!

Lowers, like handguns, can now only be received in the state of the recipient -- because since 2008 they cannot be transferred as long guns on 4473,  maybe that's what he meant.

With that being said, do you all have any recommendations on shops that will take an order and transfer it to me? I know that Nashville Armory and Nashvile Sporting Arms do not.

Don't understand this either, you mean, them order a long gun and sell it to you? Those two wouldn't sell you a long gun period, or just wouldn't order one for you, or what?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Oh Shoot,

1. Correct. I had already purchased a long gun, but when discussing it with a friend earlier this week, he thought that it may have been illegal because I am not a TN resident yet. I just wanted to see what the general consensus was amongst the users here.

2. So does that mean I am only able to purchase a lower in the state I am a resident of?

3. I am wondering which FFL dealers in the area will allow me to have my order shipped to them and then transfer it to me, or if that dealer will purchase the lower for me and then transfer it to me. However, based on what you said regarding the second quote, I am thinking it wouldn't be possible either way, since I am still a VA resident.

Oh Shoot,

1. Correct. I had already purchased a long gun, but when discussing it with a friend earlier this week, he thought that it may have been illegal because I am not a TN resident yet. I just wanted to see what the general consensus was amongst the users here.

2. So does that mean I am only able to purchase a lower in the state I am a resident of?

3. I am wondering which FFL dealers in the area will allow me to have my order shipped to them and then transfer it to me, or if that dealer will purchase the lower for me and then transfer it to me. However, based on what you said regarding the second quote, I am thinking it wouldn't be possible either way, since I am still a VA resident.

As per federal law, only rifles and shotguns from an FFL may be received outside the state of one's residence. A receiver is not a rifle or shotgun -- since 2008 it is to be transferred on 4473 as "other firearm". (there are only 3 choices on 4473: "long gun", "handgun", "other firearm")

I don't know your age, but by the same token, you must be 21 to buy a receiver from an FFL in any state as per federal law, as 18 year olds are only able to purchase rifles and shotguns.

If an FFL will sell you a lower in TN, he's ignoring the instructions regarding the terms of his license, not to mention federal law itself. And of course if you're not 21, an FFL in your home state would be doing same.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

OS,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm over 21, so there's no concern there, but it looks like I'll need to wait until I either visit home or become a TN resident (hopefully by the end of March) before purchasing a lower.