White House Threatening 1st Amendment Rights

ncldwell

I know we TGOers are primarily focused on 2nd Amendment rights but I saw this today and was shocked.  I really don't know why I continue to be shocked by this administration anymore...

So, the White House is positioning the FCC to invade newsrooms across the country. The purpose is to â€œidentify and understand the critical information needs of the American public, with special emphasis on vulnerable-disadvantaged populations.”  Media representatives are already publicly speculating that the the intent is far more controlling with regards to content censorship.

I sincerely hope that the media wakes up and begins a vigorous campaign targeting ALL of the rights infringement efforts of this administration.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/20/white-house-sniff-out-newsrooms-troubling-and-dang/

Guest theconstitutionrocks

Reminds me of that old phrase....In numerous places and times across this planet, governments have been able to muzzle the press. Not once has the press been able to muzzle the government

Guest theconstitutionrocks

I think this is pretty clear...and scary...

bo_constitution.jpg

Fine, Mr President, that's your opinion...but you don't get to change it by yourself...if you want it changed lobby for it to be amended, just like anyone else

I have often thought that we should require a permit and a competency test for a press card. With special attention paid to how not to make up crap and inject your opinion as if it were fact.

Not necessary if the "news" becomes "propaganda"...

Regardless of what your opinion of the MSM is the thought of the FCC putting "researchers" (monitors) into every newsroom in the country is far more dangerous than what's happening to the 2nd Amendment.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 5
Guest TankerHC

I would say "this is a scary thing and we will no longer be able to trust the press or freedom thereof". 

Except we are already there. So it no longer matters. This Communist is doing whatever he wishes to do and no one and nothing is going to stop him. 

[quote name="TankerHC" post="1114223" timestamp="1392946527"]I would say "this is a scary thing and we will no longer be able to trust the press or freedom thereof". Except we are already there. So it no longer matters. This Communist is doing whatever he wishes to do and no one and nothing is going to stop him. [/quote]I haven't trusted them for years. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

I would also point out that the numbers of "shoe in" Reps and Senators is rising. Even Boehner looks like a guaranteed re-election. Reps no longer Represent anyone but themselves, in most cases. The current moves by the RIght in the House had only purpose, to get people re-elected. Boehners own people said so a couple of days ago. His siding with the Left was an issue to guarantee his Speaker position. So dont expect anyone to come running to help out of Washington.

The FCC has been regulating speech in the press since the FCC was formed, but this is far more insidious. They are not regulating speech, they are going to tell the press what to say. 

There have only been two people (Some would consider unlikely proponents) that have REALLY fought for the 1st Amendment over the last 40 years. Howard Stern and Larry Flynt. Both have continuously warned of what would happen if any speech was regulated. Well, its happening. 

The Press sure as hell havent fought for it, they have become nothing but Propaganda lap dogs. 

Guest TankerHC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_xNyrzB0xI

sigmtnman, not sure if thats a pro or con. But will say this. I agree with him, completely, and so did the Founders, which is why they gave us Representatives and the Supreme Court and not a Dictator, which he seems to so badly want to be. 

The Founders foresaw changes, they were far from the idiots he seems to make them out to be.

Edited by TankerHC

I know I shouldn't be surprised but did he really say this?

Yes indeed.  September 6th, 2001.  A panel discussion aired on WBEZ in Chicago.  There was later quite an uproar over how he could take the Oath of Office and swear to uphold the very document he felt was flawed.

sigmtnman, not sure if thats a pro or con. But will say this. I agree with him, completely, and so did the Founders, which is why they gave us Representatives and the Supreme Court and not a Dictator, which he seems to so badly want to be. 

The Founders foresaw changes, they were far from the idiots he seems to make them out to be.

You got me.  I'm already a 2 gigs over my monthly limit so I didn't watch the whole thing.  I had heard part of the quote before and just googled it to see if it was legit.

Part of the problem as I see it, was the ramming of amendments into our Constitution without a legitimate quorum after the War of Northern Aggression.  Whether folks like it or not, those "civil war" amendments were not in our best interest and instead made us all subjects of the fed.