Once and for all!!! (A poll)

Guest TankerHC

The baddest fictional Western Gunfighter is?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. The baddest fictional Western Gunfighter is?

• Jake Lonergan - Cowboys and Aliens
    • Lee Scoresby (Dark Materials Trilogy) The Golden Compass
    • The Man with No Name (Clint Eastwood)
    • Roland Deschain (The Dark Tower Series)
    • Frank Morgan (The Last Gunfighter)
    • John Marston (Red Dead Redemption)
    • Rose Hood - (Gunslinger) Roger Corman movie, 1956
    • Rooster Cogburn
    • Nathan Stone (Trail of the Gunfighter)
    • The Gunslinger- Futureworld (If you havent seen Yul Brynner in that role, you should)
    • Lucas McCain - The Rifleman
    • Brett and Bart Maverick (A twofer) - Maverick
    • Preacher - Pale Rider
    • Django (The 1966 Frank Nero version, not the garbage put out today)
    • Will Cane (Gary Cooper) High Noon
    • The Lady (Sharon Stone) The Quick and the Dead
    • Josh Randall (Confederate Veteran turned Bounty Hunter) Wanted: Dead or Alive (Steve McQueen)
    • Quick Draw McGraw - Saturday Morning, 8 AM. ABC, 1974 version
    • Harmonica - Once Upon a Time in the West (Charles Bronson)
    • Stranger on Horseback - High Plains Drifter (Clint Eastwood)

Isn't Roland and The Gunslinger the same person? King's Dark Tower Series?

I thought the same. And your probably correct. But, two different lists listed them as two different people from two different parts of the series. So on that I dont know.

Roland was A Gunslinger, not THE gunslinger. As was his father Stephen and his father before him.

The gunslingers were more of a class than anything. Like a samurai in feudal Japan, sort of.
Eddie, Jake, Susan and even Oy were all Gunslingers as well.

Josey Wales wasn't actually a gunfighter in the fictional gunfighter sense. As a fictional character, in the book he actually wasnt a sniper (Going to have to get into some Historical fact here, because Josey was a real live fictional character) considering that to qualify to be a sniper during the Civil War, arguably the best, Berdans Sharpshooters rarely took a shot beyond 200 yards, unless they pulled out one of their special target rifles then they might take a shot out to six thousand yards, as Berdans Sharpshooters History notes, "The storied exploits of the Sharpshooters were equally extraordinary'; possibly some of them were even true". So it is unlikely Josey Wales would have been able to even make the Ferry rope shot, even with the best rifle of the day. Josey Wales wasnt a fictional gunfighter, he was a fictional Confederate soldier who came home to his fictional farm and his fictional family, who were murdered by the fictional Redlegs commanded by the fictional Redlegs Captain who ran all over the south randomly killing family members of former Confederate soldiers he didnt like. Happened all the time. 

On the other hand, the strangled deputy also known as "The Stranger on Horseback" who put the whores and midget in charge and painted the town red, was actually a real fictional gunslinger. He killed many men, and may have even been a relative of Josey Wales based on appearances alone. But there is some truth that either Josey Wales or The Stranger on Horseback have a modern day descendant who has also killed many fictional bad guys. Name of Harry Callahan. The resemblance is uncanny, I have met him myself.

But anyway, thats why I left him off the list.  

Some of your posts are plain silly.   :wave: 

Guest TankerHC

So why do they call clints trilogy "the man with no name" when clearly he has a name in "for a few dollars more" ?

Because its only a nickname that Lee Van Cleef's character gave him. Joe is his nickname. he goes by Joe, Manco in For a few dollars more and Blondie in The Good, the bad and the Ugly. All names given to him by Lee Van Cleef's character.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was last(?) but came after For a few dollars more but is actually a prequesl to the entire Trilogy.Good, Bad shows him acquiring his guns and what he wears (Especially the cape) in the other two. 

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

Just like Star Wars...the correct order if watching the whole Trilogy is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Fist Full of Dollars and For a Few Dollars more. 

Dont forget another one of Clints good ones. "Two Mules for Sister Sara"

Guest TankerHC

What nickname ?

Must have been asleep for that one

Joe, Manco and Blondie.

Leone didny use a man with no name, that was Universal (Or Uniteds) promotion and really had nothing to do with the movie. 

Guest TankerHC

So he kills "angel eyes" only to have him come back as a colonel 2 movies later ?

And George Pickett came back two movies later as Stonewall Jackson.

( The middle movie in the actual series wasn't part of the series. Turner funded Andersonville)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

And while on that movie, anyone know what pistol Col. D. Mortimer (lee van cleef) used to finish his first bounty in that movie ? He attaches a screw on buttstock to what appears to be a 12" hand cannon.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:ColtSAABuntlineSpecial12in.jpg

I have a Uberti in 45 colt that has a 8" barrel and a grove under the grip to put on a butt stock.

Also have a 44 cap and ball with a 12" barrel, but no grove.

If we are considering the TV series types like The Rifleman,  then what about Marshall Matt Dillon.   Over his career,  he probably shot more bad guys than most of these combined.   He's not my favorite.  Ole Clint Eastwood is probably my favorite.   But,  I think James Arnes should at least have an honorable mention.  

Guest TankerHC

If we are considering the TV series types like The Rifleman,  then what about Marshall Matt Dillon.   Over his career,  he probably shot more bad guys than most of these combined.   He's not my favorite.  Ole Clint Eastwood is probably my favorite.   But,  I think James Arnes should at least have an honorable mention.  

Oh, that would be a different post. Number of "kills" by a Fictional Gunslinger. Some of the movie sites have kill counts on all movies. 

Can you actually compare a Martial who gunned down one or two bad guys per episode until his retirement after 5 years to a gunslinger like "The man with no name" who gunned down 4 in close quarters in 4 seconds? 

I thought the same. And your probably correct. But, two different lists listed them as two different people from two different parts of the series. So on that I dont know.

I dont think King really said his name till the 2nd or 3rd book. Same person  kinda like how they did Kiddo on Kill Bill. You don't know her as anyone but "The Bride" until almost the middle of the 2nd movie. If I recall correctly they just called him Gunslinger though the 1st one. I really need to re-read all those before I read the last one. I kinda got lost along the way.

Guest TankerHC

I dont think King really said his name till the 2nd or 3rd book. Same person  kinda like how they did Kiddo on Kill Bill. You don't know her as anyone but "The Bride" until almost the middle of the 2nd movie. If I recall correctly they just called him Gunslinger though the 1st one. I really need to re-read all those before I read the last one. I kinda got lost along the way.

I havent read any of them. I went by what the sites had to say. Wanted to add in Novel Gunslingers as well as TV, Movie and Cartoon. im not kidding when I put Quick Draw McGraw up there, it made more than one top 5 list of favorite Cartoon gunslingers. 

Edited by TankerHC

BTW, how'd you make a list of fictional gunfighters without a Louis L'Amour character?

(Edit: I missed "The Quick and the Dead", my bad)

Wrong "Quick And The Dead"

The Louis L'Amour version had Sam Elliott and Kate Capshaw in it.

Edited by Varmint

His name is mentioned in the first book.

It's easy to get lost in the series if you don't read them one after another. King drifts between different realities so often that some if the books IMO could even be left out all together.

Don't forget, King released an 8th novel a year or so ago that takes place between book 4 and 5 I believe. I'm waiting for my nook battery to charge as we speak so I can buy it.
Guest Cazador

Sharon Stone was not a gun fighter either in the Quick and the Dead. By your rules of discounting Josey Wales. She was avenging a murder. But the guy (can't recall his name due to old age and late in the eve) she kills in the end should make the list. Heck he killed the Duck with time to spare.