Stainless Wet Tumbling

• Moderators

I am creating this as a side-by-side thread in regards to my reloading thread. I purchased a vibratory tumbler but returned it because I am 95% sure I want to buy a stainless wet rotary tumbler instead.

Rotary w/ Stainless Media Benefits

• Cleans brass much better
  • Media never wears out (unless you lose it)
  • Does not put lead dust in air (lead water is better!)
  • Cheaper operating cost (no buying media and polish/etc)

Rotary w/ Stainless Media Cons

• Cost
  • I wonder how long that motor lasts when kept within recommended weight limits
  • Replacement cost when breaks

So far I've only read about "Thumler's Tumbler" and www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com (which uses Thumler's Tumblers I believe).

So I'm asking which heavy duty rotary tumbler I should purchase for this brass tumbling purpose. I really like the looks of the Thumler's Tumbler Model B, but that's only because it is pretty and red (like my redheaded Wife) as well as my Lee Press (which will be seen next to the tumbler much more than my wife). However, it looks like the Stainless Steel Deluxe Reloading Kit is probably a better purchase since it is higher capacity, includes everything you need, but isn't made by Thumler's.

I am just asking the in's and out's of stainless brass tumbling, what to purchase, and where to purchase it. If I'm spending $150-$300 on a tumbler, I want it to be built to last and perform in every way expected so that I won't regret the purchase.

I have been considering the Rebel 17 at Stainless Tumbling Media as well.  I think it is a bit bigger than the Thumler's and it is also powdercoated on the inside to help prevent rust.  All of the reviews I have seen on it are very good.  

The other option I have been looking at is the  BiggDawg Tumblers.  I would only buy the frame with the rods and everything already installed as I have a spare motor laying around, You can then build the PVC containers quite easily.  You can see it at http://biggdawgtumblers.net/5001.html .  It is supposed to work very well.  

For me, I just need to decide if I want a bit of a project or just buy one ready to go.  I do like the smaller footprint of the Rebel 17, but it will not go in my reloading room anyway,it will go in my workshop area and space isn't really an issue.  I have also just though of welding up a frame and getting the parts to build one like the biggdawg from scratch.  Decisions, decisions...

• Moderators

I was thinking it would be neat to take a pvc pipe and fix it up for a container and then attach it to a stationary bike or something with pedals. It would be much cheaper than using an electric motor and would be capable of being used without power. If you had a spare bike or stationary bike sitting around, it could be done very cheaply.

I almost think I have decided on the Model B. The problem with STM is they charge $40 for shipping. I almost assumed it was built into their price at $250 or so. Turns out the order I was going to make was $300. It is an awesome system and the results are definitely there, but is it worth it? I'm looking at what my best options are. I want one, but $300 is a lot.

I have a dry tumbler and if I had it to do all over again I would get a wet tmbler, even if all i did was tumble it in liquid only. I have seen brass processed in stainless steel media and it does a fantastic job, I just don't know if the cost equals enough performance gain.

It's not about performance, it's about aesthetics.  Dull brass will shoot as good as shiny brass.  Most people just like the look of shiny brass.  Yeah, the primer pockets are cleaner, but that isn't a huge deal either in most cases.

On using a bike for it, google treadmill thumbler (or tumbler) and you will see many examples of people that use thier treadmill and a PVC pipe to tumble similar to the Big Dawg.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Moderators

The reason I said that I'm interested in the Model B is because this looks like a decent place to purchase it:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Thumblers_Tumbler_it-164290.aspx?TERM=tumbler

Shipping brings it to $200. Still have to purchase the media and separator if you want. The $300 deal on STM isn't bad, it just hurts the wallet worse.

When I ordered my Model B, the S/H was only $25. Maybe it's gone up in a couple of yrs.

The Rock Shed, also sells the Mod. B, but out of stock right now, as is STM.

A bit more up front, but don't think you'll ever regret it. My Frankford is still sitting out in the shed unused.

I do use the FA bucket & separator that came with it tho.(bought the kit).

of course you could go with a harbor freight tumbler to begin with and cost is a lot lower until you can find the tumbler you want on sale. I have been looking at the franklin model, midsouth is out of stock right now, but what is nice about it is that it has a window you can look in and see what is going on just an fyi.
of course you could try the harbor freight tumbler till you find the one you want on sale, I have been looking at the franklin tumbler, it has a window on the side you can look through and see what is going on, mid south carries them as well as others and range around 199.00 just fyi

of course you could try the harbor freight tumbler till you find the one you want on sale, I have been looking at the franklin tumbler, it has a window on the side you can look through and see what is going on, mid south carries them as well as others and range around 199.00 just fyi

We just ordered a few of these and the accessories. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/11/21/franklin-rotary-tumbler/ I'll be interested to see how well they work.

I purchased my Thumler's Tumber Model B from Stainless Tumbling Media about a year ago, http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com .   I caught the stainless steel media on sale at Midway, ebay has some good buys for media too.  Then I use local walmart for my Lemi-Shine. 

Why I chose a tumbler over a vibe bowl, just about every other person who started out the vibe bowl and dry media route on most message boards that I read made the same comment, wished they had went the stainless media route.  One of the reasons I lurk on message boards is to learn and not make the same mistakes as others. 

As an alternative, every now and then you can find a cheap barrel type cement mixer that will do the same job either on craigslist or at Harbor Freight 

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=cement

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/cement_zpsa0db8718.jpg.html]cement_zpsa0db8718.jpg[/URL]

I started with the Thumler's Tumbler. Its was a large cost at first but there's no dust and I don't have to replace the media. The inside rusted after a year,so I plasticoted it. The primer pockets also are super clean and small burs are removed. Its quite stunning to see the brass afterwards but case lube and handling dulls the cases.

And I use a set lamp timer set it and forget it.
I have got to where I clean my brass less instead of more after years of loading. I am the one shooting it and it don't need to be real clean. I use a harbor freight with corn cob when I do clean my brass. Stainless is much harder than brass so it will wear your brass out faster to cleaning this way. The less you clean the longer your brass should last.

Jason

It's not about performance, it's about aesthetics.  Dull brass will shoot as good as shiny brass.  Most people just like the look of shiny brass.  Yeah, the primer pockets are cleaner, but that isn't a huge deal either in most cases.

On using a bike for it, google treadmill thumbler (or tumbler) and you will see many examples of people that use thier treadmill and a PVC pipe to tumble similar to the Big Dawg.

Reason I got into stainless/wet tumbling was an Old Hand at Nationals, he was an armorer who I never found to be wrong about anything.  He turned me onto this long before it got to be cool, saying that cleaning the primer residue from inside the cases enhanced the life of the throats.  Said primer residue (from inside the case body) blown down the bore was harder on barrels than anything.

• Moderators
[quote name="Tempest455" post="1120106" timestamp="1393972105"]There is no downside to wet tumbling, other than you will want to prep more brass! :)[/quote] Except for....upfront cost! I have decided that I will get into it eventually. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got in to it on the cheap. I bought a HF single drum tumbler with a 20% off coupon and bought the stainless media that came with a bag of limonize and jug of soap all for about 90.00 and the results have been great. I ran 50 cases of 223 yesterday and was very impressed with how they came out. All this was all done after de-priming and sizing. And I had already spent money on a tumbler some ground walnut shell that I got at petco and some other stuff, so I probably have more tied up in all the other stuff that I wont use now.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I just figured that I would do it the stainless way the first time rather than spending $40-$100 setting up a vibratory tumbler setup and then wish I'd put that towards a stainless one. Hopefully the motor will last a long time on this one.

By the way, I as wondering about attempting to tumble other people's brass for them. Would there be much interest in a service such as this? What would fair pricing be? I could load 2lbs to 4lbs of brass in each load.

According to STM, 2lbs of brass equals the following quantities:

300 Ultra Mag 50-75

300 Mag 60-75

30-06  70-100

7mm Rem Mag 60- 80

7wsm 60-75

.308 80-120 pieces

.223 150-180 pieces

.45 160-180 pieces

.40 210-220 pieces

9mm-230 pieces

50 BMG 25-40 pieces