First handgun?

that_guy

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you recommend?

• Kimber Custom II
    • Beretta 92fs (made in US)
    • other (please comment)

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm also considering getting my first handgun.  Leaning toward getting full-size before eventually getting compact for carry purposes.  Feel like I have a lot to learn before I carry.  Just curious, what revolver would you recommend for a first handgun?  I've been looking online at the Smith and Wesson 686 4", but they seem to be hard to find.  Also, even though the .38 would be manageable, not sure about the .357 magnum.  Again, don't want to hijack the thread, just saw your response and wanted to pick your brain.  Thanks!

That's a very good question. And I don't think there's a correct answer here either.

I'd consider purpose first. What are you going to do with it? Range and target use? Home protection? Car gun? Or for carry later? Caliber? Barrel length? All manner of questions you need to answer here.

Since you brought up the 686, let's start with that. You know you can shoot 38 in a revolver chambered for 357, right? Just not the reverse. So first off, I'd look for one chambered for the 357 to give you the caliber versatility. 38 for target and practice, and the 357 for defensive use. And there are several frame sizes as well to look at; j-frame and k-frame probably the most common. But the j-frame is pretty much going to be 1.5 or 2 in, and for me, not real comfortable to shoot 357 in.

But in the K-frame size, there are many choices available for a first Smith revolver that won't cost nearly as much as the 686. Model 65, 66 guns are pretty common and can be gotten usually for half the price of the 686.

Another is my personal favorite, the Model 19.  

Some consider it to be the pinnacle of the Smith wheelie. Probably in the 500 range on them. Good quality revolver that won't break you. Shoot 38 loads in it and it's a pleasure. It will also tame the 357 fairly well. You'll know you fired off a little more than a 38, but not unmanageable or painful to shoot.

You came to the right place to start asking questions. No, not me, but TGO in general. There's a lot of good, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable guys, and gals, to get with here. 

And one not  too far from you. At the risk of sticking foot in mouth here, DrAlarms is in the Athens area just as an example. Not suggesting you try to track him down, but there's a lot of guys who would probably be glad to help close by you.

And talk with the guys at your local gun shop(lgs). Ask them for help. Rent a couple of guns and try them out.

But above all, make your own decision. Whatever feels right for you. Not what someone says is right for you.

And btw, welcome to TGO. Come back often. Ask. Comment. Learn. And most of all...Enjoy.

• Like 2

Another vote for the CZ 75-series of pistols in a semi-auto.

The Ruger GP-series is an alternative to the S&W.

Out of the box the Smith should have a better trigger than the Rugers (I'm a Ruger owner and fan so not knocking the brand)

I would agree they are better out of the box, and a good smith can improve them. But the Rugers aren't bad, cost less, and as I'm a fan of pointing out, you won't find too many, if any "S&W only" loads. They are just crazy beefy. I'd recommend one as a first gun if someone really wanted a revolver. I think Ruger is on top of the heap for best (American made) overall value for the money. S&W is great, but the saved cash can go a long way toward ammo.

Having said that I would recommend going to a few shops and putting as many in your hands as possible. If you can rent them to shoot, even better.
  • Like 2

I would agree they are better out of the box, and a good smith can improve them. But the Rugers aren't bad, cost less, and as I'm a fan of pointing out, you won't find too many, if any "S&W only" loads. They are just crazy beefy. I'd recommend one as a first gun if someone really wanted a revolver. I think Ruger is on top of the heap for best (American made) overall value for the money. S&W is great, but the saved cash can go a long way toward ammo.

Having said that I would recommend going to a few shops and putting as many in your hands as possible. If you can rent them to shoot, even better.

Definitely like the idea of renting.  Visited Tactical Advantage Corp in Knoxville last week for a private lesson with an instructor, and discovered that they also rent various guns.  Only one in my area I've found that does that.  Their range time also seems very reasonably priced.  So that's definitely my next move.

• 2 weeks later...

You may as well get one of the iconic designs of the "20th Century" if you want a combat handgun:  S&W revolver (although its origins are 19th Century), 1911, Browning HiPower, CZ75 or Glock..  From there  in combat guns you can go to collecting cause the 5 preceding will get you through the night.    Then I would look at an HK P7 and Sigs, then maybe S&W and Springfield plastic guns.  A Colt "snake gun" would be fun too. But once you learn those first 5 inside and out the rest will become easy. 

A Ruger or Springfield Armory would be my choice for a first 1911.  Both companies have excellent customer service.  I have had a Kimber Ultra CDP II for years and it has been dependable and accurate.  I've heard others have had problems with Kimbers.  As a member of the State Guard I got a Beretta M9 several years ago.  I now have several Berettas and enjoy shooting them but I would not choose it as a carry gun.  I shot a S&W 19 revolver for several years before getting a Colt Government Model.  That first 1911 began an addition and I try not to think about the number of them I now own.  If you can find a range which rents guns, try several different types and calibers before making a decision.  The result is, you'll probably end up with several guns!

Thanks for your service!

Most people want something powerful, reliable, and intimidating for their first handgun.  This is a bad idea for a LOT of reasons.  Your first handgun should always be a .22lr.

1)  Bad habits learned with your first handgun are very difficult to un-learn.  Flinching, bad hand position, anticipating recoil, and lots of other bad habits are usually the result of buying a full-power handgun first.

2)  Accuracy and good habits are formed with practice.  The best shooters in the world go through thousands of rounds each MONTH!  While I'm not suggesting that every shooter needs to do this, I am saying that a new shooter needs to be prepared to go through more than a couple of boxes and  to learn to shoot properly.  That costs money.  You are much less likely to develop 'wallet-flinch' when buying .22 than when buying 9mm.  And you are more likely to be willing to buy a decent amount of ammo, rather than just a box or two.

3)  If you are asking what gun to get, it means that you really don't yet know what you like or dislike.  Buy the .22 first, and that will let you develop opinions based on experience.  There is a reason that there are hundreds of handgun models on the market.  Not everyone likes the same things.  Use a .22 to learn at a much lower cost.

4)  Get training.  Sure, I know that you and your buddies have been reducing beer cans to aluminum trash for years.  Not even close to being useful.  You've learned bad habits.  Get a basic pistol course.  Pretend that you've never held a pistol before so that you'll actually listen.  Women usually do better than men in basic pistol courses because they don't ASSUME that they know anything.  Training with a .22 is every bit as useful as training with a larger caliber.

5)  Repeat #2 above.  I no longer compete.  But I still go through over 1000rds of .22 and 9mm each month to keep my skills from deteriorating too fast.  I shoot mostly .22 as you use the exact same skills for less than a fourth of the cost.

6)  There is almost nothing that you can do with a larger caliber that you can't do with a .22.  Aside from hunting larger critters, the .22 is a remarkably versatile round.  And several hits with a .22 are much more useful for self-defense than any number of misses.  A .22 is used for home defense about as often as all other calibers combined.

7)  You never outgrow a .22.  If you decide to pass on the shooting sport to friends and family, you will want a .22 to get them started.

Lastly, buy quality.  Cheap guns wear out more quickly and aren't as accurate or reliable.  There are a lot of choices for quality, reliable, and accurate .22 pistols in the $300 range. 

• Like 2

Most people want something powerful, reliable, and intimidating for their first handgun.  This is a bad idea for a LOT of reasons.  Your first handgun should always be a .22lr.

1)  Bad habits learned with your first handgun are very difficult to un-learn.  Flinching, bad hand position, anticipating recoil, and lots of other bad habits are usually the result of buying a full-power handgun first.

2)  Accuracy and good habits are formed with practice.  The best shooters in the world go through thousands of rounds each MONTH!  While I'm not suggesting that every shooter needs to do this, I am saying that a new shooter needs to be prepared to go through more than a couple of boxes and  to learn to shoot properly.  That costs money.  You are much less likely to develop 'wallet-flinch' when buying .22 than when buying 9mm.  And you are more likely to be willing to buy a decent amount of ammo, rather than just a box or two.

3)  If you are asking what gun to get, it means that you really don't yet know what you like or dislike.  Buy the .22 first, and that will let you develop opinions based on experience.  There is a reason that there are hundreds of handgun models on the market.  Not everyone likes the same things.  Use a .22 to learn at a much lower cost.

4)  Get training.  Sure, I know that you and your buddies have been reducing beer cans to aluminum trash for years.  Not even close to being useful.  You've learned bad habits.  Get a basic pistol course.  Pretend that you've never held a pistol before so that you'll actually listen.  Women usually do better than men in basic pistol courses because they don't ASSUME that they know anything.  Training with a .22 is every bit as useful as training with a larger caliber.

5)  Repeat #2 above.  I no longer compete.  But I still go through over 1000rds of .22 and 9mm each month to keep my skills from deteriorating too fast.  I shoot mostly .22 as you use the exact same skills for less than a fourth of the cost.

6)  There is almost nothing that you can do with a larger caliber that you can't do with a .22.  Aside from hunting larger critters, the .22 is a remarkably versatile round.  And several hits with a .22 are much more useful for self-defense than any number of misses.  A .22 is used for home defense about as often as all other calibers combined.

7)  You never outgrow a .22.  If you decide to pass on the shooting sport to friends and family, you will want a .22 to get them started.

Lastly, buy quality.  Cheap guns wear out more quickly and aren't as accurate or reliable.  There are a lot of choices for quality, reliable, and accurate .22 pistols in the $300 range. 

As a new shooter, I really appreciate that advice, 1gewehr.  It makes perfect sense when you stop and think about it.  I just recently purchased my first handgun, a Ruger GP-100.  Haven't had time to do much shooting with it yet, but I plan to grow into it slowly.  I think my next purchase (as soon as I can afford it) will be a .22lr of some sort, based on your advice.  Thanks again.

One important skill you'll learn with a .22, is searching for reasonably priced ammo.  This weekend I shot more 9mm, 45 acp, 44 mag and 5.56 than .22. 

Even at the current inflated prices, .22 ammo is still half of the cost of centerfire ammo.  Lower price equals more shooting.  But I see a lot more .22 coming on the market lately.  Prices will start falling and you will eventually see it at Walmart again.

• Like 1