Paint for Sights?

PackinMama

The front sight on my AK is black and it's a little hard to see. I'm thinking of painting it white or maybe fluorescent green or orange so I can see it better. The back sights are white and they show up good. Can I use any kind of paint or does someone make a paint just for this purpose?

Also, you AK guys out there......there's a front sight that flips up and covers the regular sight that's obviously a night sight, because it still glows in the dark. Problem is, it's loose and it won't stay in the upright position. Does anyone know how can I tighten it? It looks to be attached with a pin.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front sight on my AK is black and it's a little hard to see. I'm thinking of painting it white or maybe fluorescent green or orange so I can see it better. The back sights are white and they show up good. Can I use any kind of paint or does someone make a paint just for this purpose?

Also, you AK guys out there......there's a front sight that flips up and covers the regular sight that's obviously a night sight, because it still glows in the dark. Problem is, it's loose and it won't stay in the upright position. Does anyone know how can I tighten it? It looks to be attached with a pin.

Get the XS front sight.

That XS looks interesting.....just wish I could see them on a rifle before I spend $120. So, the front bead glows, but the rear doesn't? Are they easy to install?

No problem for install, as long as you have a front sight tool. Front dot glows and the rear is just a stripe. Pricey for sights but they make a world of difference.

I ordered some paint from brightsights.com last week. You guys gave me some interesting options, but I decided to go with the brightsights because it's cheap and I can use it on several of my guns. I really liked the looks of the XS sights, but I've spent way too much money on guns and accessories lately......maybe in the future I'll get some of those for the AK. I'll let you all know how I like the brightsights after I get them. I think I'll try them on my AK and my two snubbies.

I ordered some paint from brightsights.com last week. You guys gave me some interesting options, but I decided to go with the brightsights because it's cheap and I can use it on several of my guns. I really liked the looks of the XS sights, but I've spent way too much money on guns and accessories lately......maybe in the future I'll get some of those for the AK. I'll let you all know how I like the brightsights after I get them. I think I'll try them on my AK and my two snubbies.

How does that stuff compare to craft paint or glow in the dark paint?

for the cheap...i just used some of my car touch up paint. I've painted the front sight on my AK and the front sight on my p6. They stay on ok and bright enough for my use.

Ford Chrome Yellow auto touch up paint on the front sight of all of my snubbies. I picked yellow because it works best for me, try your own colors. I see yellow, go boom! I started painting my sights after my first S&W 19 (Red Insert) where I found I could shoot better with it than my other guns. Then at Gunsite they told us we could paint front sight for quick acquisition and that just reaffirmed earlier conclusion. You can pick it up at Wally World or any good auto parts store.

By the way, most Walmarts have stopped carrying model kits and craft paint, so it can be very hard to find anymore.

I've had family in town, been pretty busy. I still haven't tried the stuff out yet, but they're leaving tomorrow so I'll try it out sometime in the next couple days.....I'll let you guys know how I like it. I can tell you that a few years ago I tried flourescent orange model paint (Testors) on the front sight of my snubbie and it looked like crap, even after three coats. It was much darker than it looked in the bottle and it didn't stay on worth a darn.