Would you carry to a job interview?

Guest GUTTERbOY

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, someone spills a cup of coffee all over you, or the interviewer says something like "our AC is out today, take you jacket off and make yourself comfortable"...

After you get a job, those two, plus:

"Take your coat off and loosen your tie, we want this next client to see us as more laid back..."...

(I have been in a sit like that before)...

OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest GUTTERbOY
...quick question...have you checked the companys view on employee carry? cause, if the dont allow, then I wouldnt carry...all depends on how much you want the job.

Being that it's a small company, I don't know that there's any public information on that. And I'm not going to call up and ask. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I assume I'm welcome to carry anywhere I go.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I highly doubt anyone noticed; I went the extra mile and tucked my shirt over the XD, plus the jacket on top. No way in hell it printed noticeably through all that.

Alas, at the end of the interview, I learned that they're not actively seeking to add a developer right now, but they did assert that they expand regularly, and might be back in touch with me in the future. Sorta good, sorta bad. Oh well, it was worth a try.

:bowrofl:

Guest TheBulldog

I look a it like this, I go DEEP if I don't KNOW how the others feel about my guns.

I do NOT care where I am going, what I am going to do.

If I DO NOT KNOW THE ENVIRONMENT and People I go DEEP.

You may run into a nice normal person or some gun hating nut, you just never know these days.

Tuckable Inside the pants is a GREAT WAY to hide any firearm once you get the holster in the right spot. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck Myself.

You can check it out at http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/index.html

Guest unreconstructed1

well, as long as I work with the Union, I don't do job interviews, which is good. I also can't carry to work ( federal property) which is bad. it's a toss up...

well, as long as I work with the Union, I don't do job interviews, which is good. I also can't carry to work ( federal property) which is bad. it's a toss up...

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in not being able to carry on Federal property, when it is the Federal Government that came up with the 2nd ammendment? :lol:

Guest tnelson

The company I work for doesn't allow firearms in the building or in your vehicle on company property. It's not posted but it's in the employee handbook. So I would suspect packing on the interview would not a be great idea provided you don't know the companies policies. Wouldn't do anything to risk getting the job. My .2 cents..

The company I work for does not post it but it is in the handbook that you are not allowed to carry or have a firearm in your vehicle on the premises. My boss that retired used to carry so I asked the owner of the company how he felt about it. He told me that with times like they are, he is cool with me carrying as long as it is concealed and no one else see's it. He also said that he feels good to know if anything happens someone else could respond. So, as soon as I get my HCP I will be carrying.

I guess since we are a small locally owned company I am cool with him saying ok. I am lucky to have a boss who understands. Also, he is a HUGE hunter. So, I am good.

Guest unreconstructed1
Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in not being able to carry on Federal property, when it is the Federal Government that came up with the 2nd ammendment? :D

yeah, I can definitely see the irony there.

the last jobsite I worked was at ORNL. while there, I specifically asked about simply leaving my gun in the car. I was told that they randomly check the parking lots with drug and explosives sniffing dogs.

At TVA sites, they run a background check and you have to submit to fingerprinting. and you are STILL not alowed to leave your gun in your car...

so much for "I've got rights", huh?

FWIW.... I would not carry on a job interview for a white collar, office job.

The reason is pretty simple. Guns are controversial. People have a right to feel any way they want and not all of them agree with my personal views on the matter. Businesses could be posted and I wouldn't want to find that out when it was too late.

In that case, the risk of not getting the job would outweigh the risk of leaving the gun in the car.

Now that I think about it, the only way I would carry into a job interview would be if I were applying for a position where having the HCP would be an asset.

• 1 month later...
Guest GUTTERbOY

Well, semi-update... looks like it might be a good thing I didn't end up getting hired. A guy I know who started working there about a month ahead of my interview just got laid off.

:shrug: