Help me buy a new PC.

While I am pretty tech savvy myself I am looking to get a new PC since XP is no longer supported. I have nailed down the fact that I want an intel processor rather than AMD but am looking to solicit a few more suggestions.

I know I want a laptop but have not decided on a traditional or tablet hybrid. I want to get the most bang for my buck in the $300-$500 range. I will be using it mostly as a host for itunes and my budget software but may possibly want to get some recording software in the future.

IF I can get more for my money with a desktop then feel free to suggest it. I don't currently have a monitor either.

I would love to have a Mac but just can't justify that much money for something I won't use that often.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I suggest one thing.  Get a laptop with a touchscreen.  Windows 8 is apparently designed for use with one.  

I know a couple of people who have one without the touch screen and seems it is hard to get used to.

Mine has the touchscreen and the only trouble I have with it is errant touches of the mouse pad that makes things happen on screen.  If I stick to using the screen it goes well.

actually I hate touch screens.  The fingerprints are a constant aggravation.  We have a couple at work and I am the guy that has to windex it every 5 min.

You can fix the win-8 interface to not have the dumb touch screen setup (default).  

Or if you like fingerprints and touchscreens, go for it, just saying you don't *have* to go that route. 

If you know you like a mac, they can be nice.  The trouble is the same old same old -- to run windows software you have to jump thru a lot of hoops, some things are easier than others, but virtual machines eat up 30% or so of your hardware capability.  If you want to run mostly windows software, use a windows computer.  If you want to run mac software, get a mac.  I also can't recommend a mac to folks that are not used to either macs or unix.  Without a background in one or the other it can be difficult to adjust.   It also depends on what you want it to do.  *Anything* can get on the web and edit a document; the key is asking yourself what *other* things you need to do. 

Another question is, do you NEED this?  XP won;t get any updates, but it works.  A good virus scanner will keep most of the exploits at bay -- even without weekly fixes from M$.   I have one xp machine and I will be using it until it dies -- its fine.

Get a refurbished MAC. Costs less than new, and still better than a PC.

Also you can essentially buy a new mac mini every year selling the 1yr. old one on craigslist and often loose little if any cash. They hold their value better than any computer I've ever owned. You can also do quite a bit of home recording in garage band(included free with new macs) with VERY little cash outlay.

Jonnin it's really a matter of this being the straw that broke the camels back. This PC is 10 years old and has been on it's last leg for a while now. I got up this morning and it just would not coopereate at all with me. I doubt it has anything to do with XP no longer being supported but who knows. We are just ready for a new one.

My main goal is to get something that will last for a good while. It seems that will push my budget up into the $700-800 range. If that's the case I may as well buy a Mac. The biggest allure to me is just having everything on the Apple platform.

If you know you like a mac, they can be nice.  The trouble is the same old same old -- to run windows software you have to jump thru a lot of hoops, some things are easier than others, but virtual machines eat up 30% or so of your hardware capability.  If you want to run mostly windows software, use a windows computer.  If you want to run mac software, get a mac.  I also can't recommend a mac to folks that are not used to either macs or unix.  Without a background in one or the other it can be difficult to adjust.   It also depends on what you want it to do.  *Anything* can get on the web and edit a document; the key is asking yourself what *other* things you need to do. 

Running windows applications has gotten easier and easier since the switch to intel processors. No VM needed these days in most cases.  :woohoo:

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

I also can't recommend a mac to folks that are not used to either macs or unix.  Without a background in one or the other it can be difficult to adjust. 

After running nothing but Windows from 3.1 on... it took me about 5 minutes to adjust. It's not as scary as folks think.

Guest Lester Weevils

It doesn't take much computing capacity to run itunes, internet or budget software. About anything will do. Perhaps get a modest machine for that, and maybe get another later for recording. Of course it was possible to do recording on puters more than two decades ago, pitifully slow compared to even modest modern machines, but some aspects of modern recording software can be frustrating even on the fastest hardware you can go in hock for. 

I got an acer 15" screen laptop, 2.2 ghz dual core, 4gb ram, win 7 last year from walmart for a few hundred, for a backup programming machine, expecting it to be slow but workable. It generally works ok. Lately all my machines, macs and pc's seem pitifully slow, especially starting up, shutting down, doing backups. Dunno if am getting more impatient, or the systems are more bloated or what. I try to keep em pared down as much as possible. Installed kaspersky on all of em a year ago, which seems to work fine, but wonder if maybe it is the kasperky slowing em down. Abandoned norton and mcafee years ago because they were annoying cpu hogs. Kaspersky isn't annoying, but maybe it is a hog, dunno.

Edited by Lester Weevils

My take on your issue...

1. Why deal with Windows 8 when you can still find vendors who will sell laptops with Windows 7 as the installed OS? 
  2. I concur that touchscreens are a pain in the ass.   
  3. I'm also not a fan of dual laptop/tablet; for me, they're seperate items...one for work, one for play and all that.
  4. Not sure about a Mac Mini, but I've never seen Apple products play nice with other hardware, so you might still need an Apple monitor alongside it (at extra cost).
  5. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad (cost about $550) and a Nexus 7 tablet; all my computing needs are met.
Edited by btq96r

Can I just hook this up to any TV with a wireless mouse and keyboard and go?

Yep. I use 2 of them to set up DOCs(disaster operations center) for the Red Cross, each controls 2 HDTVs as monitors to display our mapping software(windows based) and information key to deploying volunteers.

In the case below I carry 2 mac minis, an apple TV(for wireless presentation of data from iphones), all cords(2x power and 4x HDMI), a bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth mouse, laser pointer and a handful of thumb drives. All can be quickly and easily carried on to a plane when I deploy.

7022264647_5790584290_z.jpg

Edited by 2.ooohhh

My take on your issue...

1. Why deal with Windows 8 when you can still find vendors who will sell laptops with Windows 7 as the installed OS? 
  2. I concur that touchscreens are a pain in the ass.   
  3. I'm also not a fan of dual laptop/tablet; for me, they're seperate items...one for work, one for play and all that.
  4. Not sure about a Mac Mini, but I've never seen Apple products play nice with other hardware, so you might still need an Apple monitor alongside it (at extra cost).
  5. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad (cost about $550) and a Nexus 7 tablet; all my computing needs are met.

My biggest priority is to get something that will last a while. Which is why I want to go with Windows 8. I don't need touch screen and don't really want it. It also looks like the new update fixed some of the issues with using it non-touch.

Putting the Mac option aside for now what should I look for in specs on the PC?

AMD or Intel?

Whats brands have you had the best luck with?

My biggest priority is to get something that will last a while. Which is why I want to go with Windows 8. I don't need touch screen and don't really want it. It also looks like the new update fixed some of the issues with using it non-touch.

AMD or Intel?

I have used both processor types and both are fine.  The differences only matter to a power-user who has a very specific need.   I would let other features take the lead and accept the processor that is in the one you like for other reasons.

I have had good luck with toshiba.  However most of the parts are made by just a few places, and different labels stamped on them...   It may not matter too much.  Some of the obviously cheap brands fail, and some do well; I type this on a 8+ year old lenovo running xp.

I know little about current mac laptops, I can't help you on the current selection.

For sure you can make win8 act like normal windows 7 etc.  I can help if you end up there and can't figure it out. 

If you want it to last, consider buying a second battery with it.  That is the most common point of failure.  Also learn how to care for the battery to maximize its lifespan.  Other than battery, the disk might fail, but you can replace it.  Keep it cool, heat kills em faster.  You should get at least 5-7 years out of one with any luck, but the last decade has had a serious decline in quality of the actual electronics, so 10 might be a very optimistic outlook.  5 is probably average, and 7+ very good.

Guest Lester Weevils

I would go with intel. Macs are ok but I am not too keen on them any more.

IMO APPLE changes the os too frequently, which requires too frequent churning of programs, buying new versions or new products to replace old programs that aint broke but must be replaced regardless because they no longer run on the latest and greatest. Also, the general advancement of mac software is retarded because developers have to spend so much time fixing their software that apple broke with the latest OS, that they don't have enough time to work on new features. So gradually over the years, the pc versions grow more feature rich while the mac programmers struggle just to keep last years features still working on this years OS.

I would most likely get a pc with win7 pro or ultimate, which should remain supported til 2020 or whatever and is a nice enough OS. Win7 home would be ok pinching pennies. I wouldn't be specially scared of win 8.1, but haven't read about any 8.1 features I can't live without. If budget allows would go for 8 gb memory or more, 64bit os of course, but 4gb is still passable for most stuff.

Have had decent enough luck with hp puters. Lots of decent enough brands. For laptops I generally don't expect more than 3 or 4 years trouble free service but sometime one can get pleasantly surprised. Oldest current laptop is a 7 year old macbook, but is a purt slow boat anchor, and if it lets out the smoke any day I won't be surprised, though maybe it will last more years.

For a fast desktop I can afford, maybe next time will customize a barebones puter, but it will be more than a few hundred bucks. I used to sometimes build em from parts, but the act of putting mail order cpu onto mail order mobo is trouble if it doesnt happen to fire up. Easier to pay a reliable company to do the base assembly and burn in. Improves the odds of avoiding mail order returns.

Guest Lester Weevils

Though perhaps a budget buster, it sure would be nice to have a puter with a samsung or corsair SSD dtive. Lots lots faster and less frustrating even with not so fast inexpensive processors.

I wouldn’t get a touch screen unless you have an application for it; we are all still using a mouse.
Win 8.1 is fine; the interface is easy to get use to or modify if you don’t like it.

Fastest processor you can afford, 17" on a laptop, good graphics because what you get you are stuck with.

AMD or Intel?

Intel

What brands have you had the best luck with?

Dell built on-line. Had a Toshiba laptop that lasted a long time.

AMD or Intel?

Windows 7 will last alongside Windows 8, I think.  Too many businesses aren't happy with Win8 for them to cut support to Win7 anytime soon.  Hell, look how long it took them to finally pull the plug on XP. 

Specs are what you want it for.  You should be able to get by just fine with out of the box specs based on what you've described your usage needs.  For me, I need an all purpose computer that can handle a lot at once since I'm a slave to one for most of what I do.  I usually have a video, stream from Netflix or MLB.tv up as I'm working.

This is what I'm rolling with currently and I'm quite happy with how it's humming along:

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 (68852BU)

• Intel Core i5 3230M (2.60GHz)
  • 16 GB Memory (I upgraded this from the factory installed 4GB Memory)
  • 500GB HDD
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

As far as the "to Mac or not to Mac" question goes...that's an individual question you have to answer before possibly selling your soul to Apple. :D

Edited by btq96r
Try woot.com for cheap and good enough. They frequently have returned and refurbished laptops and desktops for good prices. You might have to watch them for a week or two before finding something you want. Best to check in the morning when goodies are dumped in the trough before they start selling out. I got my mom an Asus laptop with an Intel i3 in it for $300 recently. It's plenty capable of exchanging email and showing funny cat pictures, and it's a giant leap forward from her circa 2001 computer.