Why Are Some S&W Revolvers So Hard To Find?

mhl6493

Just wondering, why are some Smith & Wesson revolver models so incredibly hard to find -- like the 640 and 686 plus, for example?  Is it a simple matter of supply and demand?  I would think, though, that today the demand would be for semi-automatics, not revolvers.  The Smith revolvers that seem to be in popular demand are the Airweights, and there seems to be plenty of them around.  So is it just that S&W isn't producing very many of the other models anymore?  I'm new to firearms, love revolvers, and am just trying to figure out why it's so hard if not downright *impossible* to locate some specific models, even though they're still listed as being in production.  

• Like 1

Most dealers don't stock a big variety of revolvers, save for air weight conceal carry revolvers, simply because they don't sell well. I'm sure you could order any of the current production S&W revolvers.

I would suggest looking for good used examples without the dreaded internal lock.

• Like 1

The stainless Smith & Wesson Revolvers you mentioned are expensive and dealers have to sit on them when they are in stock. Although they are fine handguns, they don't sell well at all. For instance, last year I lusted after a Smith & Wesson 640 Pro at a local shop. After taxes the j-frame would have ran right around $800. I didn't "need it, " I wanted it. I didn't have the money and couldn't justify trading in for a loss on what I considered a better carry gun (Glock 26). Besides that, $800 would buy two Smith Airweights. I began saving up and would check on the 640 monthly. It stayed in the case for 7 months before someone else purchased it. That is 7 months before I saw it. I have no idea how long it had been at that shop.

There's a gunshop in every grand division of TN that has a great revolver selection. All of those shops charge a premium for having that selection because they can't move the inventory. My suggestion: buy used and look online.  

• Like 1

There's a gunshop in every grand division of TN that has a great revolver selection. All of those shops charge a premium for having that selection because they can't move the inventory. My suggestion: buy used and look online.  

Have you seen the prices for used revolvers?

• Like 1

Fugates had a 640 last week and VOW had a 686 plus.

Seriously?  Dang, I was just in Fugates last Friday!  That's where I bought my LCP.  Must have just missed it.  That's usually my luck.  I'll probably feel pretty dumb once you tell me, but what is VOW?

VOW is Volunteer Ordinance Works just North of Cleveland Speedway on Lee Hwy.

Call Carman and see if she still has the 640. It was new and $599 which is actually a pretty good deal for a new one. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1
I learned to shoot with Smith revolvers. Got cocky as I got older, and just had to have an autoloader. Those old fashioned wheelies just weren't good enough.

Well...30 plus years later, I'm buying revolvers. Actually have been for about 15 years. Don't have a lot, or anything really expensive; but some nice classic examples of the gunmakers' art.
  • Like 1

I learned to shoot with Smith revolvers. Got cocky as I got older, and just had to have an autoloader. Those old fashioned wheelies just weren't good enough.

Well...30 plus years later, I'm buying revolvers. Actually have been for about 15 years. Don't have a lot, or anything really expensive; but some nice classic examples of the gunmakers' art.

I'm not really sure what to attribute my revolver attraction to, but there's just something about them to me.  More expensive usually compared to their semi-automatic brethren, and far less rounds-in-ready -- but much more beautiful IMHO.  Only reason I bought the LCP was concealability.  All things being equal, I would have preferred a S&W 642, but the LCP was smaller and lighter.  But I do see a 642 in my future.  Or a 640, or a 60, or a 686, or an SP101, or a...  :D

You need to think bigger (and bluer).  The 686 is a medium sized S&W but don't forget the smaller K-frame, fixed sight models that are just about the most perfect revolver ever invented, or the big N-frames that eat .357 Magnum like candy and go on up to .44 Magnum.  ;)

• Like 1
I am a j and k frame fan, the only thing to keep in mind is that both the J and k frames should only digest a small amount of 357mag and preferably heavier than 140gr magnums. The J frames are actually a little stronger but still not bulletproof. Unfortunately L and N frames just don't do it for me but I would love a 3" S&W 610.
  • Like 1

Actually we sell tons on revolvers.  Theyre not readily available like glocks M&Ps etc.  For every one revolver they make they can produce 1 M&P not to mention they cost less to produce.

Maybe I need to pay a visit to OA sometime when I'm in the area (and can actually convince my wife to let me buy another gun  :D).  Are y'all located off of exit 89 on I-24?  If I'm thinking about the right place, I've seen the sign several times on the way to Nashville.

Gun Brokers has quite a few on their site and prices all over the place on them. It's like people can't make up their minds how much they should charge for their guns........ :ugh:  :ugh:  :popcorn:

Yeah, I noticed that too.  No way I'm going to be able to convince my wife to let me spend THAT kind of money on a gun right now...

I have a 640 no dash 38spl this is a sweet little gun. This is one of those keepers

These are my S&W revolvers on the left is a 5"625, 4" 625, 4" 627,4" 686 SSR PRO, 686 no dash and a 640 no dash1922511_10152262841483115_377809299_n.jp

You guys and your 640 no dashes make me sick! Do you know how many times a day I beat my head into the wall because I sold mine?

Actually, I ditched the stainless j frames for stainless k frames, particularly matching 2" 64's. I was thinking that adding an extra round was well worth the extra 4oz. Hindsight I should have kept a 640 and only bought one 64.
CF996E11-D203-438C-A01B-F57BFB8257BE-173 Edited by Patton
  • Like 2

Well I don't have a wife but I do have an extremely high maintenance Mutt that keeps me from buying  a lot of things. A few of my friends have said they don't spend as much on their wives as I do my mutt..............but shes my mutt and my responsibility so I deal with it....... :ugh:  :ugh: 

• Like 4

These are my S&W revolvers on the left is a 5"625, 4" 625, 4" 627,4" 686 SSR PRO, 686 no dash and a 640 no dash1922511_10152262841483115_377809299_n.jp

One  no wait two of them must be defects.  One of them has to many holes in the cylinder and one of them does not have enough holes in the cylinder....................... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :rofl:

You guys and your 640 no dashes make me sick! Do you know how many times a day I beat my head into the wall because I sold mine?

Actually, I ditched the stainless j frames for stainless k frames, particularly matching 2" 64's. I was thinking that adding an extra round was well worth the extra 4oz. Hindsight I should have kept a 640 and only bought one 64.
CF996E11-D203-438C-A01B-F57BFB8257BE-173

Wow, I like that one too, Patton!