Finally got the nerve to camo my AR

I don't remember off hand how many days I left it alone to cure, but it was maybe a couple weeks? I just wanted it to cure as good as was possible without heating it since I don't have that capability.

Good thing for you is that'll touch up easy and match the rest of the rifle.
Looks good! As far as the worn spots, I like that too. I don't think a camo job looks perfect until it ain't. The worn places give it a finishing touch.

I just ordered two colors of Alumahyde II from Brownells. The rifle being black already, I'm going for a three color job.
  • Like 1

Looks good! As far as the worn spots, I like that too. I don't think a camo job looks perfect until it ain't. The worn places give it a finishing touch.

I'm the same way.  When I see a perfectly painted AR, my mind associates that with it being a safe queen.

• Like 1

I'm the same way.  When I see a perfectly painted AR, my mind associates that with it being a safe queen.

Same reason I won't paint my truck. Not afraid to scratch it now. But if it had a slick paint job, I'd worry about every branch while driving to the deer stand. I left the camo job flat so it wouldn't look pretty, and as far as satin finish clear coat making it last longer? I didn't want it to look like that for long. I couldn't wait for wear marks to show up.
  • 2 months later...
Sooooooooooo I am in the middle of my next camo job and still have no idea which direction I'm going (like the one that started this thread). The difference is, this is the wife's and she wanted pink integrated into it. Good thing is, she wanted dull/light pink, not bright pink. I also started this one with high temp primer first, and just put the first coat of pink on. It looks good, better than a bright gloss pink would have. I'm going g to let it sit over night before the next coat of pink. Give me a day or two to think about a design idea. I'm taking pictures along the way and will post them when I'm done. Although the pink is so light it almost looks white in the pictures, on my small screen anyway.
Anyway, to be continued....

Sooooooooooo I am in the middle of my next camo job and still have no idea which direction I'm going (like the one that started this thread). The difference is, this is the wife's and she wanted pink integrated into it. Good thing is, she wanted dull/light pink, not bright pink. I also started this one with high temp primer first, and just put the first coat of pink on. It looks good, better than a bright gloss pink would have. I'm going g to let it sit over night before the next coat of pink. Give me a day or two to think about a design idea. I'm taking pictures along the way and will post them when I'm done. Although the pink is so light it almost looks white in the pictures, on my small screen anyway.
Anyway, to be continued....

Holler at me tomorrow, I may have some ideas that would help.

I did this to my 870 in an attempt to salvage a bad hydro dip job that I tried to do at home. Been wondering how it would hold up long term, I've only had it out a few times since. Had one weird issue where bug spray got on it and made the paint sort of sticky, wiping it down with a damp cloth seems to fix it though...

2015-02-20_zpsnnswtamq.jpg

• Like 1

Been tinkering with it off and on. Here are some pics I took while working on it.

First a brake cleaner bath

20150802_212545_zpsu1uvyse5.jpg

Two light coats of high heat primer. 

20150802_213433_zpsqtufnu8k.jpg

The light in my garage doesn't show the pink very well so sorry about that. 

20150802_230701_zpsq9syzxbx.jpg

But this picture inside shows the pink and of course the dark brown helps contrast. I was actually liking it this way and was going to add some more directional brown and leave it. Wife said "No, I want OD green on it too!" I was worried about it since I wasn't sure how it was going to look.

20150805_145736_zpsv1wtcln1.jpg

And here is the way it ended up with the green. It looks better in person and really turned out looking good. I'll snap another picture later and post it so the colors show up better. The pink is pretty much a faded light pink, so it looks white in the picture no matter how I took it while it was drying. The green actually added depth to the scheme and I'm glad she asked for it. I just had that "I really hope she's happy or it'll be back to the ole drawing board" thought process. But she absolutely loves it which makes me happy!

20150806_140915_zpsiovfkakj.jpg

Edited by rugerla1

While her's was hanging and drying I started on another one of mine. I like the way it looks although it's so different from my others, but I'm going to alternate the sponge technique, light spots on dark areas, and dark spots on light areas. I think it will mesh better.....at least I hope so anyway  :up:

20150806_170938_zpsukghkjdn.jpg

And Roman doing a photo bomb in the background  :rofl:

20150806_171433_zpsv5qeoowy.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great job!

Thanks!!

I need to do an update picture on this last one. I "smeared" the lighter colors with the dark brown so it wasn't such a drastic difference in color. I think it blends better in the woods. I'll try and snap some this weekend.

Edited by rugerla1
  • 9 months later...
On 8/19/2015 at 7:52 PM, DT INC. said:

You did really good work on these. I hope to have the courage to try this for myself soon .

Did you ever work up the nerve to give it a shot?

I need to do another update with pictures on how the S&W camo has held up. I'll try to do that soon. I'm really surprised that the paint has held up so well with the use it gets. The other two have only been to the range a few times so they still look new, going to have to work on that haha. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DT INC. said:

I think I have the nerve now, just haven't had to time for the prep work but I hope to soon. My 300 blk pistol would look great with a camo job.

Make sure and show it off here when you get done.