Where is all the target .380?

I bought an LCP a few months ago, and am pleased with the pistol overall.  Nothing beats it for versatility when it comes to concealability.  My biggest disappointment is with ammo.  When I bought the gun, I also bought a box of cheap Blazer target ammo.  I immediately plowed through all 50 rounds.  The problem is, I can't find any more.  Granted, I have bought some Hornady Critical Defense for carry purposes, but I can't practice with that -- too expensive.  So the bottom line is, I have a carry gun that I can't practice with.  That is extremely frustrating, and I wish I had known that before I bought it.  Might have gone the 9mm route.

My question is, does anybody know where to find target .380?  Should I hold on to the pistol and wait this thing out, or should I be looking for something I can actually practice with?  Unfortunately, none of the 9mm options were as small as the LCP.  Thanks for your input!

In reverse order, personally, I think the Shield in 9mm is a viable option to the LCP. But that's jut me. I don't find it much larger than the LCP, and in fact can carry the Shield in the same belt slide holster that the LCP rides in.

And with the price on Shields dropping as they are, it might be worth saving and getting one.

As far as 380 ammo, I really haven't looked for any recently. But it does seem that I've seen some in Academy Sports.

I was lucky enough to get 500 rounds of PRVY a couple years ago from a local member who evidently had bought several cases at a steal. So when I shoot anything else, I try to run a mag of it thru mine as I leave. It kinda keeps me up on the trigger for it.

But the more I shoot the Shield, the more I favor it. My only complaint is that with my girth, read fat gut and waist here, it rides into me a bit when driving, where the LCP doesn't.

Sorry, I guess I'm just a Shield fan.

I'm going to try and get to the Gander Mountain Store tomorrow morning, I'll check there as well.

• Like 2

Thanks hipower and joe45.  I'll check with freedom ammunition, and I'll also check out a Shield.  I've heard good things about it, just figured I couldn't carry it like I do the LCP (in a Bulldog PDA case most of the time).  I looked at Gander Mountain in Knoxville last Friday - they had some defense .380, but no target.  My lgs hasn't had any for a while -- since they sold me the LCP.  I think I bought their last box.

Thanks for the additional suggestions.  I'll check them out.  I'm actually considering the the moment (subject to quick change  :D) trading the LCP in an a Smith and Wesson 642.  I like revolvers, and even though the Bulldog PDA thing wouldn't work, I think pocket carrying the Airweight might be possible.  

So what do y'all think?  A good trade, or one I'd regret later?

Personal trade or a gun shop deal?

Sometimes we have to do things, but if at all possible; a trade in at the lgs is usually a last resort. Just too much loss in the deal for you.

As for the change in guns. Whatever suits you best.

As much as I like revolvers, I rarely carry a wheelie. Just prefer the autoloaders. Love to shoot them. Personal fav is my 2.5 inch Model 19 Smith. A cannon with 357, but a kittykat with 38 loads.

That said, the 642 is a great piece. I wouldn't fault it or you for it at all.

Just depends on how much difference you might have to put up.

Personal trade or a gun shop deal?

Sometimes we have to do things, but if at all possible; a trade in at the lgs is usually a last resort. Just too much loss in the deal for you.

As for the change in guns. Whatever suits you best.

As much as I like revolvers, I rarely carry a wheelie. Just prefer the autoloaders. Love to shoot them. Personal fav is my 2.5 inch Model 19 Smith. A cannon with 357, but a kittykat with 38 loads.

That said, the 642 is a great piece. I wouldn't fault it or you for it at all.

Just depends on how much difference you might have to put up.

It would be a lgs deal.  And you're right, I'd probably take a beating on the LCP.  It only has 56 rounds through it, but they couldn't re-sell it for what they sold it to me.  So I'd probably get somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 less that I paid for it, potentially.  Quick and easy way to get it done, but not the most cost-effective.  Maybe I should just hold on to it and save up for the 642.

Granted, a 100 loss is significant; but it's up to you to determine if it is reasonable to accept it and move on to the 642. Even if I knew the cost of the revolver, I would not tell you it was the thing to do.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, not a recommendation for you. But if feasible, and liking the LCP, I would keep it and wait for a little extra cash to purchase the Smith. I don't think the ammo situation is going to be so critical forever(at least I hope not).

And the purchase from freedom munitions isn't a terrible idea. 100 for what appears to be 300 rounds of 32 isn't the best price in the world, but again, if you like the LCP; that would give you ammo for the amount of loss you are looking at on the 642.

Then, unless you have ammo for the revolver, you are looking at a purchase for it now.

All this is just words and speculation though. You still have to do what you think best for your situation.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Thanks, hipower.  Good advice from you, as always.  That's why I've come to appreciate this forum so much in the short time I've been here.  Y'all are a great source of info for a newbie, and a great "sounding board" to bounce ideas off of.  I really do appreciate it.

I don't see a lot of it but I do find it occasionally. Sportsmans, Academy and GT's is where I see the majority of it. I reloaded up 1k .380 and traded away my dies. My wife shoots a LCP but we have just about ran down he stash. I should have done more.
  • Like 1

I like my S&W 442 but I'd keep the LCP.  .380 acp is easier to find than the .38+p for the 642.

Yeah, I'm keeping the LCP.  If I traded it, I'm sure I'd eventually regret it.  I actually already have a S&W 640, and I love it.  It's just a little too heavy for pocket carry (I'm still trying to carry it as BUG on my ankle -- getting more used to it).  So I'll probably save up for the 642.

Aim Surplus has Silver Bear for $13.95/box if you don't mind steel cased ammo and shipping.  It's good stuff IMHO.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABS380FMJ94&name=Silver+Bear+.380acp+FMJ+94grn+50rd+Box&groupid=6

Garufa, I'm new to shooting, and I'm wondering, what are the downsides of steel cased ammo?  Is there a reason that some people might not use it?  

I personally have no problems with steel cased ammo.  Many people think it will tear up your gun but those opinions are mostly founded in myth and internet hearsay.  The cases are made of soft steel and the bullets are jacketed in a soft (very soft) steel with a copper coating.  The Russians and Eastern bloc countries have used this type of ammo for years.

I would shoot it without hesitation.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Wow, the shipping would be more than the ammo!  I guess it's a good option, though, if I can't find anything locally.  

As is typical with online ordering bulk purchase is the norm for "breaking even".  Shipping costs have become absurd over the past couple of years.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1