USPSA for Appendix Carriers?

Over the past year I have wanted to try my hand at competitive shooting, but have been overwhelmed by the choices of events and USPSA vs IDPA.  It is still a bit overwhelming, but I believe I would like to try USPSA.  My question to the forum is if I can carry appendix? And if so can I draw from concealment?

What i would like to do is compete with my EDC gear, or as close as possible.  To those of you that compete or know more about the sport, is this possible?

Thanks again in advance for any replies and have a good one!

As far as I know, appendix carry is legal in all USPSA divisions except Production and Single Stack.

It's gonna make some ROs pretty nervous though. 

So USPSA it is then. I will probably reach out to ORSA or TAC2 and see how to go about attending a match before actually competing.  This may help to put everything in perspective.  Having never done competitive shooting it will probably be quite bit different than classes I have attended.

Any recommendations?

You might do well to google OrigkiAK ( not correct spelling). He competes in USPSA with AIWB. He has a few articles on it. You can shoot from concealment in Uspsa all you like but people will keep telling your score will be between without it. Given that you have not comp shooting experience I'd suggest shooting a few matches with your holster on the strong side of your hip till you get stuff figured out. No since in compounding the learning curve right off the bat. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

You might do well to google OrigkiAK ( not correct spelling). He competes in USPSA with AIWB. He has a few articles on it. You can shoot from concealment in Uspsa all you like but people will keep telling your score will be between without it. Given that you have not comp shooting experience I'd suggest shooting a few matches with your holster on the strong side of your hip till you get stuff figured out. No since in compounding the learning curve right off the bat. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks for the info and recommendation; the articles sound pretty interesting and will definitely be searched for. as for my score, i am not too worried as i want to use the matches more as training opportunities. starting out with strong side first will be something i give thought to.

Hey Roar-k, the guy Spiffy is referring to is OrigamiAK. He posts on Pistoltraining.com in their forum. He is 1 of only 4 people to ever shoot the Rogers Shooting School course clean and he did it from AIWB. He and Manny Bragg did it on the same day in the same class about a month ago (Bill Rogers and Rob Leatham are the other 2 who shot a perfect 125)....As far as I know you can use AIWB in Limited, Limited-10, and Open Divisions in USPSA.

starting out with strong side first will be something i give thought to.

I would recommend it highly. It will greatly simplify your "first match" experience for you and the range officers.

The draw stroke is only one of the skills you need to train anyway, and every other skill you "work" shooting USPSA (hitting targets quickly, transitions, reloading, etc.) will be exactly the same as with your carry holster.

This is excellent info. I honestly had no idea that AIWB carry was an option for USPSA.

This has been my preferred and daily carry method for a number of years.

I guess it'll be USPSA for me and I too view it as a form of a training and testing opportunity. I can only hope that IDPA will eventually come around...

Outstanding link Randy. Thank you!

Good Luck and Best wishes to you and Spiffy. :up:

This is excellent info. I honestly had no idea that AIWB carry was an option for USPSA.

This has been my preferred and daily carry method for a number of years.

I guess it'll be USPSA for me and I too view it as a form of a training and testing opportunity. I can only hope that IDPA will eventually come around...

Outstanding link Randy. Thank you!

Good Luck and Best wishes to you and Spiffy. :up:

I hope for an orgy with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders............I'll probably get mine before you ever seen IDPA have something that would have Novice's getting their balls blown off.

Edited by Spiffy
  • Like 2