Local Firearms Ordinances

div

The topic on shooting a BB gun in Murfreesboro got me curious, and since i didn't want to clutter that thread....

How many of you aren't allowed to shoot where you live? I'm in Bartlett, just outside of Memphis and it's not allowed in either city limits. Though, while digging I found that Bartlett's firearms code has a loophole I could drive a truck through. Anyone got a .17 Remington they want to sell me?

SECTION
11-201. Air rifles, etc.
11-202. Discharge of firearms within the city limits prohibited.
11-203. Shooting ranges and discharge of rifles, etc. permitted under certain
circumstances.
11-201. Air rifles, etc
. (1) It shall be unlawful to shoot air rifles, air
pistols, carbon dioxide rifles and pistols within the corporate limits of the City
of Bartlett, Tennessee.
(2) The penalty for the violation of the section shall be not less than
five dollars ($5.00) nor more than fifty dollars ($50.00) for each offense, the fines
to be imposed by the judge sitting in court. (Ord. #63-2, April 1963)
11-202. Discharge of firearms within the city limits prohibited
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or fire a firearm within
the corporate limits of the City of Bartlett, Tennessee.
(2) A firearm is defined as any pistol or rifle of a 22 caliber or larger
caliber, and a shotgun of 410 gauge or larger.
(3) Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of
a misdemeanor, and upon conviction, shall be fined not more than ten dollars
($10.00) for each offense. Each violation shall constitute a separate offense.
(Ord. #58-1, Jan. 1958)
  • Like 1

Tullahoma i think allows pellet guns and bb guns. Any air rifle. But firearms cannot be discharged in the city limits unless it is used during the protection of ones life or family. They don't allow hunting either, but if someone dosent do something about the deer population in the city limits soon, there is going to be a lot of problems.

Tullahoma i think allows pellet guns and bb guns. Any air rifle. But firearms cannot be discharged in the city limits unless it is used during the protection of ones life or family. They don't allow hunting either, but if someone dosent do something about the deer population in the city limits soon, there is going to be a lot of problems.

There's an AG Opinion and some case law (I believe) basically saying that a city ordinance cannot supercede State hunting law.

I carry a copy of the AG's Opinion in my patrol car to show the antis when they call and complain about someone who is lawfully, and safely, hunting within our city limits.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 2
[quote name="Ugly" post="1166768" timestamp="1404863836"]You can pick up a sweet one brand new for under 300![/quote] Where? I've been keeping an eye out for a .17 Rem rifle for a while now and can't find any new, and used they are going for $700-$800, and never local.
[quote name="Lowpower" post="1167012" timestamp="1404932860"]Are moles and voles considered game animals? I am protecting my property from the invasion...right? And, I can prove they're invading..... :D[/quote] I've "heard" that .22 shot shells don't make enough noise to draw any attention in Bartlett. Nor do .223 rounds crimped onto a 22 cal pellet with a couple of grains of powder behind them. A scoped crossbow can also be fun for backyard pests. ;)