This should be a fun day....

I know we all talk about taking non-shooters out to shoot and expose them to the fun of shooting.  Well, today is my day with a bit of a twist.  I work for my companies Belgian office and they all know I am big into guns.  Our sales guy is over with his family for a few weeks on holiday and they are coming by today.  He has 3 sons (12,16, and 19) and all they have been talking about is wanting to come shoot, so I am going to take them out for a day I expect they won't forget for a long time.

It's actually hard to determine what to take when someone has never shot anything so I figured I would take a little of everything.  I am going with;

Handguns

S&W 617

Ruger Mark III Hunter

Ruger GP100

Glock 34

Rifles

10/22 - everyone should shoot a 10/22 sometime in their life.

S&W MP15 with Suppressor - they will get their AR fix

Cooper 22-250 - This is our 100 yard target gun and for shooting tomatoes off of stands

Browing X-Bolt 300 WSM -  I figure they need to feel the thump of something a little bigger (for the older two boys)

And some clays and a Remington 870 20 gauge.  

I also have a 2lb explosive to shoot which I will put a watermelon on.  

I don't think this will be a day these boys will soon forget.  Anything glaring that is missing that you think I should expose them to (if I have it)?  I will try to get some pictures and post them later this evening.

Cut a core out of the watermelon and stick the tannerite back in.  Cover with the plug you cut out and tape it back in place with painters tape in an X.  I Did that with some execs of a company when we did a shooting day with them. 

As far as your list goes I think you have it covered.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Like 1

Good suggestion, I'll do that with the watermelon

Put it out about a hundred yards at least.  You'll have chunks go everywhere.  Also split the two pounds between two melons. You don't need two pounds for one.

Even better would be to get multiple watermelons and tape them all the same.  It's like Russian Roulette only with watermelons.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Sounds like a great time and a good selection.    Do you have a Mosin and/ or a 1911 you can throw into the mix? 

I don't have a Mosin.  Not really a historical military firearms guy in general.  I do have a few 1911's, but I don't think they will have any idea of the difference.  I figure the Glock would be pretty easy shooting for all of them and I have plenty of ammo for it.  I have my Sig I carry in my truck so I can pull that out as well if they want to try another.  I figure it will take a while to get through what I already have as I will only be allowing them to shoot one at a time and with me next to them to make sure they don't hurt themselves or anyone else.

Put it out about a hundred yards at least.  You'll have chunks go everywhere.  Also split the two pounds between two melons. You don't need two pounds for one.

I have some 1 pound bags as well.  I may do that.

Even better would be to get multiple watermelons and tape them all the same.  It's like Russian Roulette only with watermelons.

+1.  Really, even 1/2 lb makes a pretty good boom. 

Since you're using tannerite and melons, I presume balloons with some flour in them would be permissible as well?  Just thinking of some "reactive" targets. 

When time comes to kill the watermelon, have them line up and shoot one shot down the line until someone wins the "prize".  Do that around dusk if you can for the fireball effect.

Phew, what a day.  5 hours of shooting and watching the smiles on all of their faces.   They liked the tannerite, but they really liked shooting tomatoes at 100 yards with the 22-250.  They would giggle each time one of them would shoot and one of the tomatoes would vaporize.  They also liked shooting at the clays.  All in all a great day.  I am too tired to put up pictures and I still need to at least wipe my guns down, but you couldn't have asked for a much nicer day for shooting.

• Like 2

This situation needs to be corrected, immediately.  Preferably by purchasing in quantity ...

I am one of those people who have no interest in a Mosin.  A friend has one and it just beats the crap out of you and you can barely hit the side of a barn with it.  I just don't get it.  I'll leave them for those of you who really like them.  I'll stick to the old target 22's like the Winchester 52's and Remington 40x's.  Those are my types of guns.