Box Mag fed Mossberg 500

Capbyrd

You must have missed the part where I said that I don't want to deal with a gas system.

Semis are actually pretty reliable nowadays, it's pretty easy to jam up a pump, short stroking, ect, in the heat of the moment.

Nothing wrong with the gas systems. 90% of the cycling problems in Saigas come from using a Tapco hammer. The Tapco hammer is thicker and it binds on the bottom of the carrier.

My Saiga has been reliable for well over 1,000 rounds, probably closer to 2,000. And all you have to do is pull back on the charging handle, release and pull the trigger. A friend was trying to convince me I wanted a pump to replace my Saiga. He was pretty adamant that a pump was better until I said I can put 25 rounds down range in under 7 seconds, after that he had nothing to say.

I will say that a pump will be lighter but lighter is not always a good thing when firing 12 gauge.

It all comes down to taste and what you operate the best. For me my Saiga is something I am comfortable with, more so than a pump.

Nothing wrong with the gas systems. 90% of the cycling problems in Saigas come from using a Tapco hammer. The Tapco hammer is thicker and it binds on the bottom of the carrier.

My Saiga has been reliable for well over 1,000 rounds, probably closer to 2,000. And all you have to do is pull back on the charging handle, release and pull the trigger. A friend was trying to convince me I wanted a pump to replace my Saiga. He was pretty adamant that a pump was better until I said I can put 25 rounds down range in under 7 seconds, after that he had nothing to say.

I will say that a pump will be lighter but lighter is not always a good thing when firing 12 gauge.

It all comes down to taste and what you operate the best. For me my Saiga is something I am comfortable with, more so than a pump.

Still don't think you're getting all of it.  I'm wanting an extremely short shotgun.  That means cutting down the gas system and thats not something I want to deal with or to pay something to deal with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but with capacity.  I don't want to sacrifice round count for length and vice versa.  

You really don't need capacity if it is a range toy. I can't think of many practical uses for a supressed short barreled shotgun, sounds like a lot of time and headache to get what you want, for not much in return. Realize that owning new toys won't make you happy, changing your mindset is probably the best route to happiness. Learn to be happy with a handgun and rifle, and enjoy shooting them. 

Let it go.  The man knows what he wants.

And I for one am glad he's going for it. I probably wouldn't do it personally, so this way at least I get a range and function report from someone who's word I would trust. Plus if it bothers anyone that much, they don't have to shoot it if Capbyrd were to bring it to a TGO shoot. :x:

Edit: Spots posted about putting one together or helping put one together, might shoot him a PM.

This is the one we built at the shop. We actually built several of them, but this was the "shop gun". My thoughts? It was a ton of fun to shoot, an added a very cool factor. That said, it was heavy, the drums are off set which upset weapons balance tremendously, and you gain maybe one or two shells over an extended tube shotgun. The only way I would want one was what is being stated above. A sbs that still has capacity withiut cutting down the gas system. The drums are heavy and somewhat clunky to reload due to there mass. For me, as a fighting shotgun, Ill take a 590 with an extended tube. But they are stupid amounts of fun and have a certain awe factor at the range.

20131122_184923_zps86b24906.jpg

And I for one am glad he's going for it. I probably wouldn't do it personally, so this way at least I get a range and function report from someone who's word I would trust. Plus if it bothers anyone that much, they don't have to shoot it if Capbyrd were to bring it to a TGO shoot. :x:

Didn't say it wouldn't be fun, just a lot of expense and headache for no gain. You are basically taking all the negatives a shotgun has and making them worse.

You really don't need capacity if it is a range toy. I can't think of many practical uses for a supressed short barreled shotgun, sounds like a lot of time and headache to get what you want, for not much in return. Realize that owning new toys won't make you happy, changing your mindset is probably the best route to happiness. Learn to be happy with a handgun and rifle, and enjoy shooting them. 

I'm perfectly happy with what I have.  But that doesn't mean that I can't want to have more.  Did you marry a 3 because she spits out kids just the same as a 7 and still makes a decent sandwich or did you aspire just a bit higher and get a 7 or 8?  Do you drive a pinto because it can get you to work the same as a forty thousand dollar car or truck or did you spring for the slightly nicer vehicle with a few options?  

You sound like a very boring person and quite honestly, I'm glad you live so far away for fear of catching the dull.

I'm perfectly happy with what I have.  But that doesn't mean that I can't want to have more.  Did you marry a 3 because she spits out kids just the same as a 7 and still makes a decent sandwich or did you aspire just a bit higher and get a 7 or 8?  Do you drive a pinto because it can get you to work the same as a forty thousand dollar car or truck or did you spring for the slightly nicer vehicle with a few options?  

You sound like a very boring person and quite honestly, I'm glad you live so far away for fear of catching the dull.

Not boring at all. I drove thousand dollar beaters though because a car to me is an appliance like a washing machine. I buy a cheap reliable one from a private owner and run it into the ground, then scrap it when the engine or transmission goes. I've never seen the point in spending a lot of money on a vehicle.

You don't have to buy a bunch of stuff to have fun, so not owning anything doesn't make me boring, that is a common misconception. I'm not getting married, either. I'm a minimalist nomad, so I have no interest in being chained down and having to buy a house and all the crap that goes along with it.

Okay.  Well minimalist nomad, not everyone lives like you.   So don't push your system on people that don't want it.  Could I get by with less, absolutely.  Do I want to?  Nope.  I want to do with my money what I want.  Don't really care what Chris McCandless tells me to do or how to be happy. 

Okay.  Well minimalist nomad, not everyone lives like you.   So don't push your system on people that don't want it.  Could I get by with less, absolutely.  Do I want to?  Nope.  I want to do with my money what I want.  Don't really care what Chris McCandless tells me to do or how to be happy. 

I don't expect everyone to live like me, merely stating that buying things doesn't bring happiness. We have been brainwashed in this country to consume, to only be worth what we have in the bank.

I have women I am interested in dating asking me about a job, what kind of car I drive, ect. Nothing that is related to who I am as a person, just random crap I own or whatever. I'd like to find a real woman that didn't care about that stuff, but I've pretty much given up on it. My PTSD meds kill my sex drive anyways, so it isn't as big a deal as it would be normally.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that buying this shotgun is going to bring me happiness.  Or at least that I believe that.  I don't feel that way at all.  Things don't bring me happiness.  Activities and friendships bring me happiness.  Things are just tools to use during those activities.  And if I want more things just because I can, I don't see the problem with that.  

Variety is the SPICE of life, so they say.  Spice is a substance used to add flavor, color or preserve.  Its not meant to be the nutritious part.  Simply, the dressing that makes it a little more fun. 

This^. Back off of Cap. He's a friend of mine and there are none finer than him. Stop trolling him.

Wasn't trolling, merely giving advice. He can buy whatever he wants, was just trying to help out.