1st Ever TGO Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest!!!

TGO David

• Administrator

2008 Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest

pumpkins1.jpg

Maybe I'm just a big kid at heart, but I am excited to announce the inaugural TGO Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest sponsored by Hero Gear in Winchester, TN.

Here's how this will work...

• Members may submit ONE pumpkin via photo to be judged.

• Carving design should be related in some way to TGO, firearms, supporting the troops or other form of patriotism. Any schmuck with a knife can carve a scary face; it takes talent to make it relevant.

• Submissions must be posted in THIS thread no later than 12:01am Wednesday, October 29th.

• Submissions must be the member's original work! No copies, no ripping off photos on the Internet.

• Both daylight and night / dark-room shots must be submitted.

• Submissions will be judged by popular vote from October 29th - 30th. The winner will be announced on Halloween.

First Place Winner

The owner of the submission receiving the most votes will receive from
Hero Gear
one 5.11 Tactical shirt embroidered with the TGO logo, a SureFire G2 flashlight and a Glock pistol bag.

Second Place Winner

The owner of the submission receiving the second highest number of votes will receive from
Hero Gear
one TGO hat and a Glock pistol bag.

Third Place Winner

The owner of the submission receiving the third highest number of votes will receive from
Hero Gear
one TGO hat.

Get busy and let's see some killer pumpkins!!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Helpful tips for taking pictures of your lit pumpkins in the dark...

#1 - Turn off the flash.

#2 - Use a tripod or set your camera on a steady, stable surface.

#3 - Use the count-down timer so that you can press the shutter button and then step away from the camera before it snaps the picture. This lessens the chance of you shaking the camera in the slightest as the picture is actually taken. Which is very important for the next tip...

#4 - Use a long exposure time! Most cameras have a Tv mode which lets you set the exposure time. An exposure time of 0.8 - 2.5 seconds is typically perfect for this sort of thing. But you have to make sure the camera is rock steady before you do this. A long exposure will magnify any movement of the camera at all, resulting in a blurry photo.

#5 - Position the candle inside the pumpkin so that it doesn't create a "hot spot" inside the photo. You want the interior of the pumkin illuminated, but you don't necessarily want the candle flame visible. Refer to the following examples:

Bad...

F794KFIUVMETVPJQSJ.MEDIUM.jpg

GOOD...

F4M28BZEYFETVPJQU9.MEDIUM.jpg

#6 - Another cool effect is using an external light source of some sort to show other features of the pumpkin even while it is lit. A small candle placed nearby outside the pumpkin can yield some interesting results, like this...

F2QSIMEN4XETVPJRN6.MEDIUM.jpg

Guest Revelator
I'm going to carve mine with a 9mm.

Are you going to carve a 9mm on the pumpkin or are you going to actually use a 9mm to carve it? If it's the latter, and you're using some 115 or so grain hollow points, that'll be one ugly looking ballistic pumpkin when you're done. But I want to see pictures.

INSOLENCE!!!

It must stop!

The omnipotent Tungsten has spoken! From now on all dealings with pumpkins, '1st Annual' is now the TGO standard term for any inaugural event... However, the term 'Inaugural' will be reserved for any initial events involving the mutilation of all other types of fruit, squash, or vegetables... excepting pumpkins.

So, you see... when the rules do not suit us, we change the rules! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

:D

Man, I'm seriously in a wierd mood today...

• Administrator
INSOLENCE!!!

It must stop!

The omnipotent Tungsten has spoken! From now on all dealings with pumpkins, '1st Annual' is now the TGO standard term for any inaugural event... However, the term 'Inaugural' will be reserved for any initial events involving the mutilation of all other types of fruit, squash, or vegetables... excepting pumpkins.

So, you see... when the rules do not suit us, we change the rules! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

:cool:

Man, I'm seriously in a wierd mood today...

Must... not... drink coffee... while reading posts like this.

Yea. That'll do.

fart006.gif

Great idea, not a very creative art kinda guy, but I might see what I can do. I have seen this on another forum and the results are cool.

Edited by db99wj