Question on lower receiver purchase

Tinydane

Please bear with me as I just moved to TN this past week.

I'm looking to buy my first lower receiver to start my AR build and will be buying it, most likely, online. 

Question is in TN do I need to have it ship to a FFL?  I came from NY so heck up there I couldn't even order ammo let alone a lower to ship to my house.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Yes, a lower will need to ship to an FFL.

Tiny, it's federal law, same for all states. A lower is a firearm. Further, since it is not a "rifle" or "shotgun" it may only be received from FFL in state of one's residence, and one must also be 21.

However, now that you are in a much freer state, note that you may legally buy any non-NFA firearm here in private sale without FFL involvement at the age of 18 as long as you have have no reasonable cause to believe it is stolen.

Welcome to the Patron State of Shootin' Stuff. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thanks for the quick feedback.  That helps with the clarification.  Maybe I was thinking of local in state purchasing before then in not needing to use an FFL.

I'm assuming though that the transaction through the FFL doesn't amount to "registration" of the rifle, or does it?

Welcome to TN and TGO!

Nope, no registration in TN. The FFL will transfer it to you, but the gun is not "registered" in the Feinstein meaning of the word. You can sell or trade it to a legal person in TN. If you sell it to someone out of state, then it would have to be transferred through FFL again

Thanks for the quick feedback.  That helps with the clarification.  Maybe I was thinking of local in state purchasing before then in not needing to use an FFL.

I'm assuming though that the transaction through the FFL doesn't amount to "registration" of the rifle, or does it?

Legally, no... no more than buying any gun from a dealer does anyway.

TICS (the state agency that does the instant background check), is required by law to purge the transaction from their records.

The dealer is required to keep the form 4473 of your purchase on file, and to record that you bought that firearm.

As mentioned above, you may subsequently sell the lower (complete or not) to any TN resident (provided you do not know they are otherwise legally prohibited) you wish, without any sort of record of the transaction.  This being said, I do recommend a simple bill of sale, just to CYA.

Edited by dcloudy777

Not per se. The background check info is (supposedly) deleted as per law.

The 4473 form is kept for minimum of 20 years by the FFL and is surrendered to the ATF when/if he ceases business. It is then kept by the National Tracing Center but is also (supposedly)  by law not in a searchable database must be found manually for traces.

The FFL also keeps a bound book for all transactions and AFAIK must keep that for good, and also turn it into ATF when ceasing biz.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Shop local before you buy the lower. Reason I say this, for a lower you may find a good deal on one and that is great, until you go pick it up and add a $25 or $35 transfer fee to it. Ask me how I know lol.

This is the truth.

I was about to order a cheap ($49) lower + $10 shipping + $30 transfer + $10 TICS = $99

Until I discovered my local shop has one for $69 + $7 tax + $10 TICS = $86

So, I would check local also unless you find a good deal on something specific.
  • Like 1

This is the truth.

I was about to order a cheap ($49) lower + $10 shipping + $30 transfer + $10 TICS = $99

Until I discovered my local shop has one for $69 + $7 tax + $10 TICS = $86

So, I would check local also unless you find a good deal on something specific.

^^^ Exactly what happened to me Batman

Wow...thanks for the outstanding quick and informative information everyone.  I can see this is shaping up to be a great forum!

I'll definitely shop around local and see what's available.  I won't bother asking where to start on that front...I'll do some searching on the forums here and see what folks have already I'm sure recommended on 100 other threads.

Much appreciated!

• Like 2