Two Questions After Morning Range Session

mhl6493

Are you shooting the LCP with one hand or two?

Two.  I think I was keeping my thumbs low enough on the slide to keep from interfering with it, but I suppose that could have been the problem.  Maybe they got up a little too high.  I should be able to take it back to the range in a couple of weeks and work on some of my theories.  That is, if I can find some .380 ammo.  Other than the high-end hollow point stuff, it can be hard to find around here.

Try shooting it one handed. I don't have a good explanation but my P3AT has never malfunctioned when I practice one handed, which I do most of the time. I consider it a "get off me" gun and expect my other hand to be occupied so I practice accordingly.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the LCP and Glock 19.  Took them both to the range for a follow-up session this past Friday, making sure to pay special attention to my grip, etc.  Long story short, the problem with the LCP apparently was limited to one particular magazine.  Had my friend at the range look at it, and he thinks the tension was too weak.  Took the mag apart and stretched the spring.  We'll see if that takes care of the problem.  I'm just glad it's not the gun - a mag I can live with.

The problem with the G19 appears to be mostly connected to the 115 grain ammo.  I also shot some 147 grain reloads my father-in-law gave me, as well as some 147 grain Hornady Critical Defense, and they all did fine.  The 115 grain PMC?  Most of it still ejected straight back in my direction.  I can live with that, I suppose, because if I ever need it in a self-defense situation, it'll be loaded with the HCD.  Still kinda miffed, though, that a gun as "hyped" as the G19 can't adequately deal with whatever ammo I feed it, regardless of weight.  Oh well, it is what it is.  At least it has been 100% reliable -- no FTF's or FTE's.

Thanks again for all the advice!

• Like 1
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet. The low left shots are you pushing the gun in anticipation of the recoil and very well may be your brass to face problem as well. Spend some time dry firing and work on the muscle memory. Have someone more experienced than you shoot the glock to see if it is the gun or you. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet. The low left shots are you pushing the gun in anticipation of the recoil and very well may be your brass to face problem as well. Spend some time dry firing and work on the muscle memory.

Have someone more experienced than you shoot the glock to see if it is the gun or you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This handy chart helps, they are available all over the internet suitable for printing: PistolChartR1St.jpg Edited by Omega
  • Like 1

I own a couple of Glocks.  I never had a single BTF.   However, when these same guns were shot by two novice friends, both complained that both guns gave them BTF.

I attribute this to limp wrist shooting....... 

I'm sure that's a part of the problem a lot of times.  In my case, however, that wasn't the cause.  Made it a point to watch my grip, wrist, etc.

I sent an e-mail to Glock Customer Service last week, describing my problem and just asking their opinion about the whole BTF thing.  Got a reply from them this morning, saying they were sending me a new RSA, and that this should solve my problem.  Two questions:

1.  What's an RSA?  I assume it has something to do with the extractor...

2.  How easy will this be for me to replace myself?  Remember, I'm new to firearms in general and Glocks in particular.

Thanks!

I would venture to say no that it will not fix it. However, I would give it a try to see if it is a fix. Glock has been really reluctant to admitt that any of the later model Glocks have an issue. I bet they get a couple of hundred complaints a day about BTF. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

I would venture to say no that it will not fix it. However, I would give it a try to see if it is a fix. Glock has been really reluctant to admitt that any of the later model Glocks have an issue. I bet they get a couple of hundred complaints a day about BTF.

They're not too reluctant.  They have a public recall notice out for the Recoil Spring Assemblies.

http://us.glock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

• 2 weeks later...