Gearing Up / Holstering Up

If your like me you get your pants on , jeans , kakis , etc. , the next thing you do is decide what gun will go with your shirt or belt , decisions decisions .... Or the opposite , which belt and shirt best cover your gun .... How many times have you looked for a bigger shirt to cover the grip of your .45 ?

Regardless , have you ever dropped the whole rig while putting the belt on ?

One time while saddling my Sig 226 I dropped the whole thing , the pistol and holster hit the floor , ding in the wood floor and a loud enough noise to wake the dead ; my wife came to the back of the house and asked what I broke ....

When I saddle up now I always lay the pistol ( revolver or my .45 ) on the bed put my belt on , then the holster and then plant the pistol.

Dropped firearms are never a good thing , be safe out there.

Hey , I'm old and goofy , cut me some slack .... Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1

LOL. I think we have all done something similar.

A couple years back, I got an Auto Ordnance 1911 from one of my then customer accounts for my father-in-law to go with his Thompson.

While showing it to my wife, I pulled it out of the shoulder harness that the previous owner had it in. I fumbled it and let it roll out onto the floor. Dug 2 huge divots into the floor from the barrel and those GI sights on it.

Momma was not happy. Not at all.

Since then, I show them over the table. Till I scratch it anyway.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
I carry a Glock 31. I don't really pay attention to what I wear. I just keep a couple button up shirts to go over it when necessary.

Dropped the whole rig? Yep, I've done it. Not proud of it, but it's happened. At least it wasn't in public.

I once had my Bersa model 85 bounce out of a cheap nylon holster and go skidding down our gravel driveway. I was just teenager at the time though, so don't judge me too harshly.

For me the first question is concealment....  pocket, IWB or OWB.  Different shirts depending on that. 

Dropped the whole rig?  Yep, once.  Thankfully where it's carpeted so there wasn't any damage.  Yes, it's always holster on belt, then gun in holster. 

I don't really pick out carry guns or dress for them. Its either the LCR in the pocket - usually for work, or the G19 for all other times.

I haven't dropped my rig or gun (yet) but I do put the holster and gun on as one.

One thing though, if you had to choose, wouldn't it be better to drop a holstered gun, over a gun by itself?

Guest stinkfoot
I had a gf throw my new og g19 in my driveway to keep from worrying about any petty self inflicted scratches. Well she did it on her own but that was a result of the conversation :) Edited by stinkfoot
Just don't try to catch it if you drop it :panic:

I haven't dropped the whole rig down my pants yet, but I did drop my bow from my tree stand once. That sucked.

I usually put the gun and holster on at same time, but taking off I always remove the gun and secure it first. Edited by Batman
  • Like 1