New leather creation.

[quote name="BigK" post="1188973" timestamp="1410481993"]nice job, especially on the boning...it took the pattern of the gun real well...did you press it too or is that all boning?[/quote] It's all boning. I can never leave well enough alone and tend to over work the leather. All of my work has that distressed look to it. It's a good thing I like that look because I don't think I could do the clean smooth style finish. I'm too rough handling the stuff. Next time I'm gonna try to do one with a pig skin lining. Anyone have tips and tricks on that to save me some hassle? -southernasylum Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all boning. I can never leave well enough alone and tend to over work the leather. All of my work has that distressed look to it. It's a good thing I like that look because I don't think I could do the clean smooth style finish. I'm too rough handling the stuff. Next time I'm gonna try to do one with a pig skin lining. Anyone have tips and tricks on that to save me some hassle? -southernasylum Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I glue the liner down first before going through and doing the punching and stitching.

[quote name="gjohnsoniv" post="1188998" timestamp="1410487756"]I glue the liner down first before going through and doing the punching and stitching.[/quote] Amen, that stuff puckers and pinches if you don't get it glued down while flat and then press it until the glue dries. You should have seen my silly butt trying to glue pigskin lining inside of a kydex molding for a hybrid holster. I hadn't mounted it to the leather yet, but it was still hard to get it to contour to the convex portions. Even after I got it where I wanted it, it wanted to pucker as the glue dried. I have several extra square feet of black pigskin, if you need some to practice with. Just shoot me a PM.
[quote name="BigK" post="1189004" timestamp="1410488359"]...I have several extra square feet of black pigskin, if you need some to practice with. Just shoot me a PM.[/quote] Thanks for the kind offer. TGO is great like that! I already have some I bought last year, I just haven't got around to experimenting with it yet. How did the stuff stick to Kydex? What type of glue did you use? I probably better try my hand with leather first. -southernasylum Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also something I just thought about.  If possible, and if you have a holster where you are folding the same piece over like a flap, you might want to stitch a couple places to help keep the liner lined up with the punched holes.  I've had the issue before of gluing it, letting it set, and then folding it over and messing up the alignment of the holes due to a small amount of stretch.

Another point of interest is to make sure you get pigskin that has the plastic treatment over the normal way of tanning splits.  Supposedly they chrome tan the suede versus veggie tan other leathers and I try to avoid chrome tan due to the salts in it.  They say it doesn't play well with firearm finishes but it's not something I've seen first hand or experimented with.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Amen, that stuff puckers and pinches if you don't get it glued down while flat and then press it until the glue dries. You should have seen my silly butt trying to glue pigskin lining inside of a kydex molding for a hybrid holster. I hadn't mounted it to the leather yet, but it was still hard to get it to contour to the convex portions. Even after I got it where I wanted it, it wanted to pucker as the glue dried. I have several extra square feet of black pigskin, if you need some to practice with. Just shoot me a PM

Been there, done that.

[quote name="southernasylum" post="1189013" timestamp="1410489088"]How did the stuff stick to Kydex? What type of glue did you use?[/quote] The first one I did for my boss's boss at work using regular contact cement and a ran a heat gun over it just lightly to set the glue without remelting the Kydex. It has held up fantastically for going on a year now. It's not even separating at the edges where you reholster. So I tried one for myself, but experimented with Gorilla glue. That stuff is garbage. It started separating as the glue started drying. I had to peel back all the edges and fix it with contact cement.