AR muzzle devices...got input?

BigK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll really be interested in a range report

I finally got this thing out to the range today! It was an absolute pleasure to shoot. I tried it with and without the shroud and could tell a huge difference.

With the shroud in place it did just what it was supposed to do. Seemed like it redirected the sound noticeably downrange. Plus, the fireball it spit out the front was freakin' wicked. My friend who went with me shot it as I stood off to the side, so I could see it too. I'd say it belched a 14"-18" flame.

With the shroud off, there was a marked decrease in recoil and it was considerably louder. I had to stand off to the side again to truly appreciate how much sound that shroud was pushing downrange. To say it was just noticeable is an understatement.

Sadly, I had closed my gas block expecting to tune it when I got there, but I left the wrenches at the house. So, I had to shoot it in single-shot mode all day. Now I can't wait to get it out there to see how easy it is to get back on target with the muzzle brake. I've never shot a rifle with a brake before, just the plain flash hiders, like an A2 birdcage. If I was impressed with single shots, I'd imagine I'll be really happy with it when I get to try follow-up shots. Edited by BigK
I am completely sold on 2 piece muzzle devices now. They truly offer the best of both worlds. I'd love to see what a longer shroud would do to improve the noise reduction, but I'm even more interested to see what a high quality muzzle break would feel like.
That's cool, I like messing w comps as well, mostly to keep the muzzle in place. Dolomite brought up using a effin a by ares arms
Mine came in last week will mount and test this week. It's basically a comp w a load of holes where you plug the holes w set screws until it sits where you want it... Edited by Dustbuster

I am completely sold on 2 piece muzzle devices now. They truly offer the best of both worlds. I'd love to see what a longer shroud would do to improve the noise reduction, but I'm even more interested to see what a high quality muzzle break would feel like.

Thanks for getting back with us to tell us how it shoots. I'm looking to get a noise reducer for a 7.5 project, and had been looking at the KAK up until this thread. I'd be interested to hear how well this reduces noise to the shooter compared to the KIES and the KX3. I'm going to be making an order for one of the three in two weeks, and want to get the cup of the carpenter, so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the point of impact change with the shroud on vs off?

To be honest, I can't say, really. We only shot about 4 or 5 rounds with the shroud off and I was paying more attention to the sound signature and how little the muzzle moved. I didn't really even think about that, but I'm curious now, so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Also, I was using a Vortex red dot with a Primary Arms 3X magnifier at the time, which makes the dot bigger than my target spots. It made it easier for me to see how much the muzzle was moving, but didn't help too much with making tight groups.

Why not get one that can host a suppressor?  AAC's breakout is both a comp and a break.  It also is a QD for their cans.  Thats three functions for the price of one.  When i started buying rifles years ago I never thought i would get a can.  Fast forward to me now and i'm replacing my all my MD's and its adding up.

So with the shroud on there was more felt recoil?

I remembered my tools this time and got my gas block set. Using the weakest ammo I had (Tula), I adjusted it to where it *just* lets enough gas through to let an empty mag hold the bolt back then added 1/8 of a turn. 

So, needless to say, I put a lot more rounds through it this weekend. With the shroud off and some pissed off neighbors in the next stall, it had noticeably less recoil and it was much easier to get back on target for follow-up shots. I still like shooting it with the shroud better, especially since I don't like shooting rifles with cans on my ears. My ProEars muffs do a lot better job than the plugs, but with the shroud on it's much less of an issue.

• Like 2
I just picked up one for .300 black out build I'm finally getting around too. I think this seems like the best concept yet as far as as these kinds of devices go. If I like it as much as I think I will I might have to replace the Levang and KAK too.

I just picked up one for .300 black out build I'm finally getting around too. I think this seems like the best concept yet as far as as these kinds of devices go. If I like it as much as I think I will I might have to replace the Levang and KAK too.

I need to start an "educate me" thread about .300 black out.
It seems like a really popular choice...I may NEED one too. LOL

I know I'm going to get booooooed out of the room but my 1990's Colt 20 inch hbar has nothing on it.....flash or muzzle brake.  never had and never will.  It will shoot anything I put the sight on ( no scope ).....no bells or whistles ...just bang. Flash dont bother me....and i dont rapid shoot and a brake is not needed.  Same gun i took outta the box  And its been fed the same round I loaded for the last 22 years. ( old goat here )

I know I'm going to get booooooed out of the room but my 1990's Colt 20 inch hbar has nothing on it.....flash or muzzle brake. never had and never will. It will shoot anything I put the sight on ( no scope ).....no bells or whistles ...just bang. Flash dont bother me....and i dont rapid shoot and a brake is not needed. Same gun i took outta the box And its been fed the same round I loaded for the last 22 years. ( old goat here )

Flash and bang on a 20 inch AR don't bug me neither. Back when I was issued an M16A2 I didn't even use ear pro; noise didn't bug me. A different story with a short barrel on flash and noise. Ya gotta do something about that stuff.

• Like 1

I know I'm going to get booooooed out of the room but my 1990's Colt 20 inch hbar has nothing on it.....flash or muzzle brake. never had and never will. It will shoot anything I put the sight on ( no scope ).....no bells or whistles ...just bang. Flash dont bother me....and i dont rapid shoot and a brake is not needed. Same gun i took outta the box And its been fed the same round I loaded for the last 22 years. ( old goat here )

Like TMF mentioned, although it's still an AR, you're talking apples and oranges really
^This.

I've got a 20" a few 16" and a 7.5". The 20" really doesn't need anything, though I still like the Levang on there anyway. The 16" I feel you could get away with a plain barrel end, but the flash/noise and to a degree barrel raise are not ideal. Now the 7.5 NEEDS taming one way or the other IMO. Just different options for different people I guess, but definitely no booing going on here :up:
  • 1 month later...

If you'd be willing to provide some feedback, I can send you KA-1222A free of charge. Through-hardened 4140CM and nitrided finish, you'll be hard-pressed to find a tougher part out there.

Picture031-1.jpg

Have you did any testing on a 10.5" barrel 5.56 setup?

I've been looking at the flash cans, but muzzle movement means more to me than noise.