Memories of the M1 Garand

Chartiers

I was at the indoor range at Ashland City today. There's a shop there that sell new and used weapons. I picked up and handled an M1 Garand rifle. I don't remember it being that heavy while carrying one during Army basic training in '62. It was an amazingly accurate rifle at long distances.  It was really neat firing rifle grenades from the Garand at rubber tanks downrange, and the bayonet training.  Just touching this one just brought back some great memories.

Edited by Chartiers
  • Like 3

Check into Civilian Marksmanship Program Garands. Its the best deal out there for these great rifles.

I made the trip to the CMP South store in Anniston, Alabama some years back and it was well worth the drive. They will loan you bore and chamber gauges so you can hand pick the one you want. 

I found a nice rifle that gauged out as a Service Grade, but was marked as a Field Grade due to a dirty and oil stained stock. It cleaned up very well and is a great shooter. 

I also got a M1 Carbine from CMP a few years ago. However, I think those are all sold out.

100_0584.jpg

• Like 2

Check into Civilian Marksmanship Program Garands. Its the best deal out there for these great rifles.

I made the trip to the CMP South store in Anniston, Alabama some years back and it was well worth the drive. They will loan you bore and chamber gauges so you can hand pick the one you want. 

I found a nice rifle that gauged out as a Service Grade, but was marked as a Field Grade due to a dirty and oil stained stock. It cleaned up very well and is a great shooter. 

I also got a M1 Carbine from CMP a few years ago. However, I think those are all sold out.

100_0584.jpg

WOW! Really fantastic.  I did look at CMP and wish I had the $ for one.

Edited by Chartiers

My father carried a Garand in 1945 in the battle for Manila. I had a chance to buy one in the early 70s for $100.  I wish I had. They cost too much now.  

My dad was around Subic Bay, Clark field and ManiIa right before the war ended in the Army Air Corp. I wish I had a M1 Garand too. They do cost too much for me also since I'm retired and on a fixed income. 

Edited by Chartiers

Just touching this one just brought back some great memories.

The Garand's rich history combined with its functional bygone beauty of forged steel and walnut makes for long gun nirvana in my book.

In 1961 our high school's ROTC Armory was stuffed to the gills with M1s and no telling the personal histories behind many of them.

No future reproductions will be able to hold a candle to the "been there, done it" originals.
Guest tangojuliet

The Garand's rich history combined with its functional bygone beauty of forged steel and walnut makes for long gun nirvana in my book.

In 1961 our high school's ROTC Armory was stuffed to the gills with M1s and no telling the personal histories behind many of them.

No future reproductions will be able to hold a candle to the "been there, done it" originals.

oh i know they wont but if you cant get the original what's the next best thing...

oh i know they wont but if you cant get the original what's the next best thing...

Yep. Maybe future reproductions will be like the Springfield early years M1As where the receiver was cast but they were choke full of USGI forged parts.

The CMP Service Grade rifles are a good price for a solidly inspected M1. Often they exceed their baseline description ...

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. There may be some minor pitting on receiver and other metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE $625

RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.

Delivery time 2-6 months from placing order

S&H $29.95 per rifle

Thank for posting this I have all ways wanted one had no ideal about CMP talked to the wife last night and started planning a trip south after Christmas going to get one for me and my son

A sound plan!

One suggestion is that you might want to phone the Anniston Store a day before you head down. "Mr. M1 Garrand" Leon or others of their super staff will be able to tell you what they have on the sales floor.

You will meet a bunch of nice folks both staff and customers; all willing to share their knowledge of picking out a couple of fine Garand's.

someone will start making reproductions 

Reproductions won't have the history that the CMP garands have.  The CMP rifles are a part of our Country's history.

Some women purchased a set of bolt-ons, but they aren't the same!

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 1

A sound plan!

One suggestion is that you might want to phone the Anniston Store a day before you head down. "Mr. M1 Garrand" Leon or others of their super staff will be able to tell you what they have on the sales floor.

You will meet a bunch of nice folks both staff and customers; all willing to share their knowledge of picking out a couple of fine Garand's.

Thanks for the advice I have already have a M1 carbeam that my uncle left me and now if I can find a good old m14 in will have a complete set of USGI rifles from WWll till present

I believe the price of a CMP Service Grade M1 Garand has increased to $695 plus shipping or pay sales tax and take it home with you.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoops! Thanks for catching that.

I see that the shipping fee is now $29.95 for overnight to your doorstep (no FFL dealer go between). That route does avoid Alabama sales tax.

i thinkl i might order a field grade and just change out the barrel

I've seen reports on the CMP Forum that some folks will get a field grade that out shoots some service grades. It seems like the throat and muzzle erosion numbers don't always predict a good shooter! Plus the CMP is known to often gauge rather conservatively.

In general it seems the CMP often under promises and over delivers when it comes to their grading system.
  • Like 1

Agree with Djay3 in regard to FGs right now.  :up:

Current FGs seem to be great shooters that just about always come with USGI wood.  SGs also are great shooters, but better in the metal finish area and many are coming with replacement CMP wood.  When CMP Sales contacted me, I changed my backordered IHC SG to a IHC FG.  It came in with 2MW & 2TE on the barrel.  It also had USGI wood that cleaned up Real Good! 

About the only CMP M1s that you need to plan for a possible barrel replacement are the rack grades, and the RGs are only being offered for in store pickup.

Hmmmm....., now that I think about - - - I do have a couple of NOS in the wrapper SA barrels.  Maybe a run to South Store to see if there are any pre-war RGs lying around is in order.  :dirty: