Hi Powers

zybysco

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody needs a Hi Power, unfortunately they are like most Sigs...they don't come cheap. Expect to pay $500 plus or minus for a nice shooter. The clones can be found for a little less money, and I hear they function pretty good, but I don't have any personal experience with any of the clones. I have a newer Browning and a 1950's era FN...both are great guns and shooters, but the Browning is mostly a safe queen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My BHP's a 74/75 vintage and was the first center fire pistol I purchased. I owned and traded off a half a dozen others along the way with mixed feelings about the entire design. Bottom line its a classic pistol of reasonable accuracy with a bit of eccentricity in what feeds and shoots well in it. By all means find the one you want and hopefully hang on to.
Guest mechanically

I had a really pretty example chambered in .40, but sold it because I was afraid something bad would happen to a REALLY nice gun. Don't know why I felt that way, I've got other nice guns I don't worry about the same way...

Anyway, I happened upon an Argentinean licensed copy. I suppose it's a "clone" in some ways, but it was built under FN license, with their tooling. 

It doesn't have a beautiful blued finish, but it has an awesome parkerized-ish job that seems really tough. It's accurate, has the ergonomics they're famous for, uses 15rd mags, and works as good as I could ask a $900 Browning to work. 

I think it would look sweet with a Ceracoat in a fun color, but haven't gotten around to it yet. 

Mech...aside from the finish, which you've already addressed, the only issues I've heard of involving the Argentinian P-35's are magazine incompatibility. At one time Browning Hi-Power replacement magazines wouldn't work in the Argentine contract pistols, the magazines side notch was cut differently. It was a pretty simple fix for a gunsmith or savvy shooter.
AIM surplus gets some in every now and then at a bit over $400. They go pretty quick but it'd be the perfect candidate to get one cerakoted.
I traded for one by FN and got lucky it ended up being a rare aluminum alloy frame and I got it koted sniper gray and put the pachmayr grips on it looks awesome. My dad has it.

I have a practical model from 1992 and love it. But the FN surplus mags don't work all the time on it for some reason.

I agree everyone should have at least one.

If you just want a shooter and save some money you might want to get one of the Hungarian FEG BHP clones. I got one some years ago just to use to learn the internal workings and to do a trigger job on one.  After I satisfied that curiosity I got rid of it.  I was too cheap and afraid I would damage the more expensive BHP for what I wanted it for.  If you want to go to the other end of the spectrum this might be a good place to start:  http://www.hp1911.com/index.php/srthp

I've got an Argentine FN Hi-Power that was willed to me  by my late father in law. He had a trigger job and a reliability package done on it, he used it as his carry gun. It's not a beautiful gun but it absolutely fires every time the trigger is pulled and is as or almost as accurate as my 1911. Plus it has 15 round magazines. I use it as my carry gun full time now.

John Moses Browning once again proves his gun engineering genius.

Love hi-powers. My first gun was a FEG HJK-9HP. Nearly identical clone of a Browning/FN for a lot less. Great shooter and if you come by one for around 300 you can't go wrong. I've had my share of Browning s and FN's and I always felt bad shooting them and carrying them because they were too nice. The FEG our Argentinean copies solve that issue and are functionally great.
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest RCC45ACP
I recommend that you try to find one in .40s&w. I owned one a couple of years back and it was a dream. I have sold it after about 6 months of taking up space in the safe and have regretted it ever since. I have shot the hi powers in 9mm some were older models set up with competition sights and were just amazing, and have also shot the newer practical models which were just kinda like eh not that great in my opinion. But that .40 oh my! The serial number put in the 86-88 range and it was a beast. I miss her, so my advice would be to find one with a little age.