Just for kicks... what is your pirmary carry gun, what do you load it with, and why?

The title pretty much says it all. I'm just curious to see what everybody carries, what ammo they carry in it, and what made them decide on that specific combination. The recent discussion about bullet weights spurred this on.

I'll start:

I usually carry a Smith & Wesson Model 64-4 Kframe 38 special with Ahrends grips on it. I load it with Buffalo Bore standard pressure 150gr hard cast wadcutters, or Remington 125gr+Ps. I carry this because right now it's the smallest gun I have! It was my very first revolver, and I have had this gun longer than any other in my collection. Sometimes I carry in an Uncle Mikes IWB, but usually just pocket carry.

I am also confident in the 38 special round in a defense situation and am very familiar and comfortable with this particular gun. In the summer I'll load those 125 grainers when there is usually less clothing to penetrate, but about now I switch to the heavier wadcutters. There's no hollowpoint to plug with them, and I am a little more interested in penetration than expansion.

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01241.jpg

But it sure would be fun to carry this!

DSC01402.jpg

So, guys and gals, show us your gun and tell us why you picked your ammo!

Edited by musicman
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XD SC 9 and Kahr PM9, about 50/50.

Both with Remington GS 124gr +p.

Because I'm told that's what the Knoxville police carry, and ballistic tests on it show as plenty adequate.

Both guns have reliably eaten every brand/weight/shape I've fed them.

edit: oh, SHOW them...

Ok, here's actually same pic as my current avatar...I have also carried both the Ruger (.357 Golden Sabre) and the Charter (.38 Hornady regular pressure hollow point), and probably will some more, and can see you like wheelies, so left them in the pic :)

- OS

TheBoys2-sm.jpg

Edited by OhShoot

Hey Todd, is that a Hornady load, or some other brand using their bullet? Just the other day I saw one of the European makers, Fiocchi I think, loading that bullet in 357 mag. I didn't check to see if they had them in .38 special though.

BTW, just noticed the feedback, thanks! :up:

Guest Todd@CIS

It's a Hornady load.

While it's not the "best" .38 load out there, I choose it because it is a good comprimise round. Lower recoil (non +P), low flash, accurate, and will most likely at least deform.

The Speer 135gr+P Gold Dot offers superior terminal ballistics, but the heavy recoil slows my follow-up shots more than I'd like. If recoil is not a concern, then the Speer load is what I'd recommend.

USP Compact - .357 sig (1998 Code Date, bought in 2000)

Why USPc? - Wanted to be able to carry 10 rounds (during the Crime Bill crap), wanted a safety I could reach without changing my grip, wanted a decocker, wanted something that fit my hand well. (It boiled down to the Sig 239 & the USPc. The added 2 rounds and the deal I got pushed me toward the HK.)

Why .357 sig - Chicks dig it and I need all the help I can get.:up:

Seriously, I liked the ballistics and the fact at the time so many federal agencies and LE were moving to it. The idea of having .357 magnum performance out of an autoloader was also intriguing. There was also the tapered neck which only seemed to add in feeding... plus if the caliber failed to take off or ammo got too expensive I could always get a .40 Barrel and keep right on going.

125 gr. Speer Gold Dot : Always liked Speer when I was reloading a lot, plus some friends (Yes I have some!) that are LEO's said that was what they carried.

Mode of carry currently...

Blackhawk CQB Holster, and "Mexican" Carry

(Saving for a MTAC per Tungsten.:tough:)

Crayon2.jpg

It's a Hornady load.

While it's not the "best" .38 load out there, I choose it because it is a good comprimise round. Lower recoil (non +P), low flash, accurate, and will most likely at least deform....

That's what is in the old Charter Arms in my pic ... its actually one of the few JHP non +p .38 rounds still made, and I had to order it.

- OS

Springfield XDm, 40 S&W, all black version. I carry 180gr JHP's, Magnus bullets, 7.5gr of Hodgdon Longshot powder, various brass and primers.

I carry in Don Hume holsters, either a JIT slide or IWB and carry either one or two mags depending on how I feel and clothing worn.

95% of the time, S&W 638, Remington +P 158gr SWCHP. Load picked for penetration and expansion.

The other 5% - SIG 239, .40 Remington Golden Sabres or a S&W M65 3" .357 with Federal 125gr HP's. Loads picked for the same reason.

No pics available.

Guest cbrantl1

When I'm by myself, a S&W M&P9 loaded with 147 gr Hornady TAP :popcorn:.

When I'm with my girlfriend, a Bersa Firestorm with Cor-Bon 90 gr. JHP. I do that because she doesn't like the M&P, but she can easily handle the Bersa. Should something happen to me, she, hopefully, can pick up the Bersa and use it to defend herself. She's taking the carry class on Nov. 1, so hopefully I won't have to flip flop the guns anymore.

Guest pjblurton

FN - FNP40

I have carried a .40 S&W of some type or another for the last 10 years. It just suits me. Not too big, not too small... This FN has to be the sweetest shooting .40 I've ever owned (and I've had a bunch). I keep it filled to the brim with Hornady Custom 180gr JHP/XTP.

Why? 180 grains with a muzzle velocity of 950 fps and 326 ft/lbs baby!:popcorn:

FNP40.jpg

I carry a Glock 19 with Hornady Tap, and a Bersa .380 with Corbon ammo. I keep my 21SF in the truck when I'm working loaded with Hornady XTP. Why? I haven't got over the new car smell of my permit, and I don't think I will.

The Glocks look like Glocks. The Bersa is two tone. McGoogle it if you want.

1911 either a 4.25 Nighthawk Talon bobtail or 5 inch Nighthawk Talon loaded with 230 grain HSTs.

Because I like and shoot the 1911 platform pretty well, and reported and pictured expanded 230 grain HST rounds cover a quarter...that should be enough to stop a threat.

Pics of the bobtail

TalonII.jpg

This is what the 5in looks like...

T_800.jpg

• Administrator

Daily:

• Glock 19 with 15rd mag in Comp-Tac MTAC holster
  • Spare 15rd mag in Comp-Tac offside holster
  • Hornady TAP 147gr 9mm
  • SOG Flash II serrated tanto or Gerber Fast Draw #G07161 knife.

HGfap_101405F.jpg

The 9mm TAP load almost made it out of the gelatin, going 14.06 inches.

HGfap_101405C.jpg

This recovered 9mm bullet weighed 147.3 grains and expanded to .558 inch.

The question regarding SP101's is whether you are capable of finding it with both hands. Are you? :cool:

(it's an inside joke)

I have SP101 and can usually find it, using either hand, or both.

Please elaborate on joke, so can get good laugh, can use one.

- OS