Friend Robbed In Memphis Sunday Night

soapy

My 6' 2"  250lb male friend was robbed Sunday night @ 11 pm after work. He pulled into his gated apartment complex, parked his car and by the time he walked to the trunk he was jumped by two black males who had been hiding behind parked cars.  One stuck a shotgun to his neck and another had a pistol in his gut.  They asked where his wallet was, and removed it from his front pocket along with his car & apartment keys.  They left in his car.  His girlfriend had been visiting him but had left Memphis on Saturday.  He does not carry, but she does.  She said she felt safe while there.   I'm glad he was ok, they are pretty shaken about it.   Hopefully this will help to increase their awareness.  He is changing his locks today of course.   

Edit: they took his smartphone also.

Edited by soapy

Sorry to hear about your friend but from the way it went down they would have left with his GUN, car, money and keys. If he didn't notice the until they had guns up against his body even if he was armed he would not have been able to use it in defense. Maybe a back up on his leg after they got in the car might have had some effect but then that may have also got him killed. Hope they catch the bad guys. I wonder why any one would ever want to live in Memphis to begin with. Everyone I know that has moved from there that was born and raised their don't even want to be taken back there to be buried when they die.................... :shrug: :shrug:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2

bursa guy. We choose to live in Memphis for the same reasons that others choose to live in their communities. It's not for everyone, but neither is your little utopia.

If I lived in Utopia Links I would not own 11 guns and enough ammo to start a war. That is the same reason I don't still live in Chicago where I was born. I have been to Memphis several times and it does remind me of Chicago but then so does much of Nashville these days to. I have a few friends that come over for coffee and some jawing about every morning and all three of them are from Memphis born and raised and they won't even go back and visit relatives living there.  I'm sorry if I offended you with my comments about Memphis but it was based on past experience and listening to people born and lived there  and refuse to even be buried there today.

The problem in Memphis is the voters that keep electing politicians that refuse to truly address the issues here. If the citizens would put their racist BS to the side and actually elect people that will work toward fixing these problems instead of voting based on skin color, Memphis would be a little better place to live...

That being said, if you think you're safe in your neck of the woods and that trouble cant find you, might want to think again...
  • Like 2

The problem in Memphis is the voters that keep electing politicians that refuse to truly address the issues here. If the citizens would put their racist BS to the side and actually elect people that will work toward fixing these problems instead of voting based on skin color, Memphis would be a little better place to live...

Sounds a lot like almost every community in America to me. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 2

That being said, if you think you're safe in your neck of the woods and that trouble cant find you, might want to think again...

I agree with about everything you said and yep trouble can walk up and knock on my door anytime of the day or night because I do not live in a Utopia. Politics plays a major roll in every large city just like Nashville politics is beginning to do. I have no clue why Nashville thinks it has to have they major growth factor all at once but before long the skyline of Nashville will look like Chicago or New York. They have this thing about building higher and higher knowing damn well just like New York and Chicago they don't have the fire department equipment to respond to a real high rise fire. I find that an issue when a city grows from the top down instead of the bottom up. I pretty much agree with LINKS on the fact of the whole country because in all honesty the safety and security we as Americans enjoyed for many years is not there like it use to be...................JMHO

I agree with about everything you said and yep trouble can walk up and knock on my door anytime of the day or night because I do not live in a Utopia. Politics plays a major roll in every large city just like Nashville politics is beginning to do. I have no clue why Nashville thinks it has to have they major growth factor all at once but before long the skyline of Nashville will look like Chicago or New York. They have this thing about building higher and higher knowing damn well just like New York and Chicago they don't have the fire department equipment to respond to a real high rise fire. I find that an issue when a city grows from the top down instead of the bottom up. I pretty much agree with LINKS on the fact of the whole country because in all honesty the safety and security we as Americans enjoyed for many years is not there like it use to be...................JMHO

Except of course that by every measurable statistical category, violent crime is has fallen continuously across the US for the last 30+ years ...

• Like 1

I don't want to ruffle any feathers but, if TWO BG'S get the drop on you and TWO pistols closely trained on you or pressed on you... You're pretty well screwed.

With your buddies experience I'd say he was better off being unarmed as a minimum his handgun would have been taken too and/or offended them and used on him? I doubt the punks would frisk him for an ankle holster but given the situation and them fleeing, I doubt it would have done any good anyway.

By your description, it sounds like even situational awareness would not have been quick enough. Sometimes no matter how alert / careful we are, it's just not good enough and the BG'S always have the advantage of surprise.

If that happened to me I would be counting my blessings. These days criminals seem to be more prone to shoot you out of fear, needing a drug fix, meanness or lack of anyone to testify against them in court.

Glad he survived in check.

• Like 2

If there is one thing I have learned from living 10 years in Murfreesboro it is that there are bad neighborhoods to avoid at certain times of the day. And I'm pretty sure that is true in any town of size. Heck, even Shelbyville was getting that way before I moved and it's worse today.  

My 6' 2"  250lb male friend was robbed Sunday night @ 11 pm after work. He pulled into his gated apartment complex, parked his car and by the time he walked to the trunk he was jumped by two black males who had been hiding behind parked cars.  One stuck a shotgun to his neck and another had a pistol in his gut.  They asked where his wallet was, and removed it from his front pocket along with his car & apartment keys.  They left in his car.  His girlfriend had been visiting him but had left Memphis on Saturday.  He does not carry, but she does.  She said she felt safe while there.   I'm glad he was ok, they are pretty shaken about it.   Hopefully this will help to increase their awareness.  He is changing his locks today of course.   

Edit: they took his smartphone also.

Glad he's ok.

A smart phone is possibly the dumbest item anyone can steal. These guys are ####ing novices. "Hey man, give me your tracking device that has an assigned IMEI that can track me anywhere I go while it's on and has an active cell tower or wifi data signal so it can track my whereabouts, and if I try to sell it to anyone, it can be tracked back to me because the IMEI will be blacklisted in all Major networks' databases."

Oh, just a heads up, have him call his carrier to see if they can track that device through either an app or the network activity. (Or both)

Edited by Ted S.
I am a native Memphian, and have lived here all my life. I am quite fond of the city and most of the people. I have a great deal of civic pride and love to watch the Tigers and the Grizzlies, love Graceland and the Pyramid (which will soon be the worlds largest Bass Pro Store), all the great blues music, and all of the fabulous BBQ places. It's really not as terrible as some folks would lead you to believe. But, there are places and times when you need to watch and be aware of your surroundings.

A similar event took place here in an apartment complex almost two years ago strangely enough also a Sunday night, but that young man was carrying a concealed handgun and was well prepared when the balloon went up. When the two young thugs threatened to kill him if he didn't give up his wallet, he pretended to reach for his wallet but instead drew his pistol and shot and killed one of the robbers. He shot at the other one but he turned tail and ran away.

I hope your friend is okay, and that he understands what happened here might just as easily take place in any city such as Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga or any place in between. Memphis just happened to be where your friend was when this event took place.
  • Like 6

Glad he is ok as well, hope I never have to deal with that situation.  Us Memphians tend to be a little sensitive as it seems sometimes people go out of their way to emphasize that something happened in Memphis as if it would be a statistical improbability that same event could ever happen outside our city limits...

• Like 3

Glad he's ok.

A smart phone is possibly the dumbest item anyone can steal. These guys are ####ing novices. "Hey man, give me your tracking device that has an assigned IMEI that can track me anywhere I go while it's on and has an active cell tower or wifi data signal so it can track my whereabouts, and if I try to sell it to anyone, it can be tracked back to me because the IMEI will be blacklisted in all Major networks' databases."

Oh, just a heads up, have him call his carrier to see if they can track that device through either an app or the network activity. (Or both)

Perhaps they took it to keep him from using it to dial 911 ASAP.... Does not take a rocket scientist to toss the phone out the window at first opportunity.

• Like 1

Memphis, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Chattanooga, who gives a hoot.  Been there, lived there.  Just trying to pass along something interesting. Which you may notice I don't do alot, because folks round here, they be a bit sensitive.   

• Like 4

I underwent 3 days of physiological testing once for a job.  After all was said N done, this guy walks in and said I was too passive for the job and what did I think of that?  I said "It took me years to get this way."

What was the job you ask?  Killin sensitive people.  :rofl:

How much you give me for a list?  ^^^

Edited by soapy

Now before you start cryin and git your powder wet, I'm just kiddin.  I write slogans for billboard signs for a livin, and I'm up late because I have to come up with a good one for Quality Month to inspire employees at a  Japanese manufacturing plant in the US. It's been a long day, and all I can think of so far is  

"We've Upped Our Quality, Up Yours"

Its catchy all right, but I don't think it will fly.  :shake:

• Like 2

Now before you start cryin and git your powder wet, I'm just kiddin.  I write slogans for billboard signs for a livin, and I'm up late because I have to come up with a good one for Quality Month to inspire employees at a  Japanese manufacturing plant in the US. It's been a long day, and all I can think of so far is  

"We've Upped Our Quality, Up Yours"

Its catchy all right, but I don't think it will fly.  :shake:

If that's the best you can come up with then you'll soon be looking for another job.....   :rofl:

• Like 1