? .22 ?

I have an inflation calculator in my favorites and in 1960 a box of .22's were $0.40  and it said in 2013 it would be $3.10.The calculor stops at 2013 btw. Ok some more number crunching. I heard a week or so ago that Ruger has sold over 3 million 10-22's, now if each owner shot 1 brick of 550 per year and 1 manufacturer makes 1 million rounds per day it would take 1,650 days or 4.52 years to produce the 1,650,000,000 rounds. So put this in with all the other firearms that shoot 22's and you see the issue. If the issue doesn't fix itself soon, I am afraid a whole generation of kids will grow up not being marksman because they didn't get to shoot like I did.

Mine will grow up shooting but it will probably be .223 air rifles.

• 1 month later...

I've quit buying .22 because I have plenty but there's still a lot of people buying it and making $10 - $20 a brick off it and they will continue to buy and sell it as long as people continue to buy it. Three years ago there's no way I would bet we would still be having this problem but now it wouldn't surprise me if it's still like this 3 years from now. If people would just go back to buying it as they need it, things would be back to normal next year but as long as there's a shortage, people will buy it every time Walmart has it on the shelves, even if they don't need it. Maybe most buyers will get to a point where they think they have enough and will stop buying. Problem is, everyone has a different number of what they think is enough. 

I've quit buying .22 because I have plenty but there's still a lot of people buying it and making $10 - $20 a brick off it and they will continue to buy and sell it as long as people continue to buy it. Three years ago there's no way I would bet we would still be having this problem but now it wouldn't surprise me if it's still like this 3 years from now.

As long as one can buy any product at retail price and make even 10% profit, maybe even 5%, , it won't stop.

Hell, if you could pop by Wally's or wherever every morning and buy inkjet carts or whatever and easily peddle them for a profit, folks would do that too, eh?

- OS

IIRC, about a year ago +/- there was an announcement that Remington was building a completely new facility just for the production of ammo.  Think it was in NC.  Really would be nice to hear progress on that build, also a date when products will begin to ship.  Yes, I know we have heard lots of complaints about their rimfire ammo.  I saw a friend (trying to) fire Remington rimfire last week and one round refused to light up even when struck at three (3) different locations on the rim in a revolver.  This sounds like more than a light dose of primer compound, more like none at all.  Hope they can improve their product quality control.  After all, a big order of unreliable ammo is the same as having none.

Stumpy

I've quit buying .22 because I have plenty but there's still a lot of people buying it and making $10 - $20 a brick off it and they will continue to buy and sell it as long as people continue to buy it. Three years ago there's no way I would bet we would still be having this problem but now it wouldn't surprise me if it's still like this 3 years from now. If people would just go back to buying it as they need it, things would be back to normal next year but as long as there's a shortage, people will buy it every time Walmart has it on the shelves, even if they don't need it. Maybe most buyers will get to a point where they think they have enough and will stop buying. Problem is, everyone has a different number of what they think is enough. 

Are people still doing this? We haven't been out of "affordable" 22lr in several months. I'd like to know how much of our stuff is ending up on the secondary market.

Are people still doing this? We haven't been out of "affordable" 22lr in several months. I'd like to know how much of our stuff is ending up on the secondary market.

Yes they are still doing this.  I was in Academy last week listening to a customer talk to the gun guy behind the counter.  The customer was telling him that he hated he missed the last batch of .22's that came in because he could still mark it up and make quite a bit of money...

I went to the range on Saturday with my Ruger .22, shot about 300 rounds. It was the last of my .22 ammo, but I really enjoyed it. Since the .22 panic started I don't recall seeing anyone actually shooting the stuff, must be used as some kind of underground currency. But now I have a really pretty paperweight.

Anything over 5 cents per round I don't consider affordable for 22 LR ammo.

Will we ever see that price again? Even at 5000 rounds today .22 Lr are still eight cents a round!!!!

I am dating myself but i was in the era of forty cents a box and < $5.00 bricks

Edited by wolverine

Will we ever see that price again? Even at 5000 rounds today .22 Lr are still eight cents a round!!!!

I am dating myself but i was in the era of forty cents a box and < $5.00 bricks

You can find it for five cents or a little less per round now if you can be at the right place at the right time. The problem is that almost everyone still buys up their limit any time they see it whether they need it or not in order to build their own personal stockpile until they feel comfortable enough to shoot some without ever running short again. Scalpers add to the problem too, but I think that is becoming less of a problem because the potential profit is not as much as it used to be. Unfortunately, I don't see the hoarding behavior ending any time soon, and the manufacturers are afraid to invest in new manufacturing capacity because they think it will end sooner than later and they don't want to be stuck with costly excess capacity. I don't think that would happen though since there has also been a substantial increase in the number of new sport shooters and 22lr sporting rifles and pistols that demand this ammo. Only time will tell, but I don't think this shortage will ever end until at least some of the manufacturers get their heads out of their ass and invest in some additional manufacturing capacity. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk