CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 Discussion Thread

Guest mechanically

Guest mechanically

I happened to notice that Buds has the 10, 20, and 30 round magazines listed on their site, although they're out of stock. 

So, I'm betting they'll get a couple at some point. One more place to look, at least. 

Guest mechanically

Am I the only one who would rather see the utilization of a grip with a much greater vertical angle on these type of pistols? It makes for a more natural and comfortable feel, in my opinion.

I think that would be an excellent idea.

The grip is adjustable for distance from the trigger, a single bolt tightens it's position on rails... So, it would be a piece of cake to have many options.

There has been a lot of chatter on the CZ forum and others hoping Magpul steps up to the plate...

Well, when I ordered it on Monday, I could use a Sig brace any way I wanted.

It would seem things can change in a weeks time. 

So, it may have less purpose than before. I'm not yet sure. I may just SBR it. I may sell it. 

As to this vs a PLR-16, I think they're very different application. (Unless the plan is to have a range plinker, in which case they're both a riot!)

I did a little research, and when I picked up a pistol in 5.56, I went with a 12" barrel. Mostly, because I LOVE Czech equipment, and the VZ58 pistol had a 12" barrel... But, I also liked that many .223 and 5.56 rounds out of a 12" barrel were tested to be fairly effective. Once you get below 10" (in my opinion, which is worth about what you pay me for it... ;) the performance of the round falls off substantially. 

Contrast that to a 7 3/4" barrel on the Evo, firing a cartridge typically optimized for something around 5"... and I feel really good about the performance of something like a Federal HST round in that situation. Will that round have the same effect as a tactical 5.56 round fired out of a 20" barrel? Not likely. But, would you sign up as a volunteer experiential data point?  ...me either!

I currently use a Sub2000 as my back-up of choice in my get-home-bag. I liked that it was small, and I liked that it could share mags with a Glock. Well, I've officially been off the Glock fanboy bandwagon for a while now, and I didn't like how long it took me to deploy the Sub2k out of the bag. I also didn't like the difficulty of adding an optic to the Sub2k.  The Evo is the same length as the folded Sub2k, and requires only a flip of the thumb to be ready to rumble. It feels a LOT faster to put into action in this regard.

Although I haven't fired it yet, (cart / horse... I realize.) I feel better about a 100yd shot from the Evo with an optic than I do about the same range from the Sub2k peep sight. The sights on the Sub2k are the most disappointing part of that weapon in my opinion. I have trained with it a fair bit, and it hasn't given me the long-range confidence I was hoping it would provide. 

Finally, becasue subsonic. I've been close to getting a can for a while, and I think this thing would be a hoot in that configuration. Can't say that about much that isn't 9mm or .45acp.

Did I mention I'm a sucker for anything Czech?

:stare: *Mechanically pauses to make sure he's done a through job of convincing himself that he didn't foolishly pay many hundreds of dollars for something useless....*

Woo Hoo! I LOVE it!  :panic:

*Yep, we're good!*

I'd be delighted to hear more thoughts on potential application, from anyone!

I would also love to hear thoughts on how to effectively utilize a sling as a "tension device" to provide some stability. I figure a single-point unit affixed to the rear of the receiver, and one arm through the loop is about as advanced as it gets? Any technique I might find helpful in that situation? 

I had both the PLR and the Sub 2000 and agree with you 100%. The Sub 2k I kept the longest, but the sights were the weak point. The CZ with a optic will be a much better gun at half problems of the Sub2k.

Guest mechanically

Whelp, here's things as they stand. 

Reliability so far is exemplary. 

I slapped a Vortex Sparc I had on the rail, just to see if I wanted to keep a red dot on it. I'm unsure. I do like the red dot, but I also like how well I can see the rest of the world when there isn't a sight I have to look through. And, the irons are by no means inadequate. I'll probably pull the dot off...

Trigger is just ok. I suspect, like all my CZs, it will be easily hopped up. 

As has been mentioned, a different grip with a more perpendicular grip angle would be fantastic, but this works.

[URL=http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/mechanically1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150211_155101_zpsnjthyrbw.jpg.html]20150211_155101_zpsnjthyrbw.jpg[/URL] 

Whelp, here's things as they stand. 

Reliability so far is exemplary. 

I slapped a Vortex Sparc I had on the rail, just to see if I wanted to keep a red dot on it. I'm unsure. I do like the red dot, but I also like how well I can see the rest of the world when there isn't a sight I have to look through. And, the irons are by no means inadequate. I'll probably pull the dot off...

Trigger is just ok. I suspect, like all my CZs, it will be easily hopped up. 

As has been mentioned, a different grip with a more perpendicular grip angle would be fantastic, but this works.

20150211_155101_zpsnjthyrbw.jpg

Would a small red dot riser help out with the sight height? Or do you feel its un-necessary? 

Edited by jmevis
Guest mechanically

Would a small red dot riser help out with the sight height? Or do you feel its un-necessary?

I'm sure it would work fine with a riser, I just don't use a red dot very frequently, so no strong preference one way or another...

I set it up to kinda co-witness. I read a lot about co-witness online, and how it makes operators more dynamically tactical in their operations while operating. I operate a LOT, so I opted for co-witness.

Ahem.

I may just take the dot off. The irons really are nice, and I can see lots more without a lump on top of the rail.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...