Soon... Take 2.

gjohnsoniv

This is my latest project that I have decided to take on.  Polish AKMS Underfolder in 7.62x39.  I have contemplated building an AK for a while but never got past the "maybe" stage with all of the other things I have going on.   Well I came across these parts kits a couple weeks back from Atlantic Firearms and said "gotta have it." As the story goes these kits were demilled by a modernized factory to keep everything in good condition and to keep everything together.  All the serial numbers are matching and everything seems to be in very good condition minus some scratches from wear.

Also a big shout out to Mike at LawEnforcementSales for doing the receiver transfer for me.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/0218151827_zps8bd43be4.jpg.html]0218151827_zps8bd43be4.jpg[/URL]

The packaging is really what pushed me over the edge on these, the way it's done was just really cool to me.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/0218151826a_zps4cd17803.jpg.html]0218151826a_zps4cd17803.jpg[/URL]

Parts list from the factory.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/0218151826b_zpsd49bdb92.jpg.html]0218151826b_zpsd49bdb92.jpg[/URL]

Backside with signature from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started to set some of the rivets tonight.  All that's left now is to press the barrel on and install the front sight and gas block.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/0301152344_zpsjvfswlov.jpg.html]0301152344_zpsjvfswlov.jpg[/URL]

• Like 3

More like frustrated.  I hit a wall tonight and just had to stop.  I've never set rivets before outside of pop rivets and needless to say it takes some learning.

I wouldn't know where to start on it.

But that looks great!!!

Man I wouldn't know where to start. I'm currently converting/refinishing/modding a SAIGA in .233 which is my first dance with the AK platform. It didn't take me long to realize that really nothing fits out of the box like the AR's I'm accustomed to. Looks like you're making great strides, keep pushing! I'd love to take on one of these down the road Edited by KKing

Man I wouldn't know where to start. I'm currently converting/refinishing/modding a SAIGA in .233 which is my first dance with the AK platform. It didn't take me long to realize that really nothing fits out of the box like the AR's I'm accustomed to. Looks like you're making great strides, keep pushing! I'd love to take on one of these down the road

I did a Saiga in .223 about 4 years ago. It was a scary first step for me, but I was interesting.  The AK is such simple weapon!!!

Well, I've gotta admit that I'm having to call in some professional help on the rest of this build.  The front trunnion rivets have proved to be a bit of a challenge.  I tried making the tool to reach those rivets but it just bent on me.  So I'm getting some help from someone with the right tools.

Well, I've gotta admit that I'm having to call in some professional help on the rest of this build.  The front trunnion rivets have proved to be a bit of a challenge.  I tried making the tool to reach those rivets but it just bent on me.  So I'm getting some help from someone with the right tools.

Hey, no shame in that brother. We all need help from time to time and in a project like this, I'd take what I could get. :)

And that is such an important part of the built.  Wise man.