Is it considered rude?

I don't want anyone touching a weapon if I'm downrange. I've seen way too much stupidity at public ranges to think it is remotely a good idea to handle a weapon with people downrange. There is no point in doing so. I don't thick I would feel comfortable shooting at a range that allowed that.

I'd say he was just taking rule number one for gun safety a bit too far. I'd never tell anyone what to do with their weapon, unless they were a danger to those around them, but some people just need to feel special I guess.

Bingo. I have known a few people who seem to have some need to tell other people what to do all the time for the sake of their own ego or something. Unless I saw someone doing something potentially dangerous it's not my place to say anything to them unless they ask my advice about something.

Maybe people should just try to stop bossing everyone else around and let them enjoy their time at the range. If you don't like what other people do, then you have the right to leave.  Listen, I'm a local. I live in Tullahoma and there isn't much places to shoot. He asked about a light/laser combo i have on my rifle( only for night time use).

Rifle was already pointed downrange, unloaded, safety on. And no rules of weapons not to be touched anywhere. Just see the signs of "No shotguns or Vehicles past this point".

I will however follow the "common courtesy" for which i had no idea of. After all this is the first time i ever heard of it. But i am not going to allow some asshat from whichever other range try to come in and be a range Nazi to anyone. Instead of scolding, why cant people just try to be an example. Ask those to kindly not handle their firearms if it is a cold range instead of being an ass about it.

Well, the range most of us use here in Middle TN does just that.  You can't find a more polite gentleman than Charlie Haffner.  You just can't.  He POLITELY reminds everyone on the intercom EVERY TIME the range is called clear "No handling weapons while people are down range."  He ain't rude about it and it's not 100% set in stone.  It's his discretion as to how that's enforced.  What I mean by that; People show carrying their firearms during clear.  He says nothing.  People are packing away their things and leaving.  He says nothing.  You pick up a weapon and are "Looking at it" or holding it in any way.  He will ask you to set it down.  

I have been shooting there for a long time.  I have never seen it become an issue.  Not even once.  I'm sure it HAS, but I ain't seen it.  This is why I take a similar approach with btq96r.  I go EARLY on an obscure day.  It's a ghost town.  I get my work/fun finished just in time for the crowd to start showing up and I leave.  

I openly admit to being a hypocrite on the 2nd amendment.  I believe we have the right and don't want to see ANY of it infringed in any way shape form or fashion......I just prefer if 99.9% of the country exercised their right far away from me cause at the end of it all, the only fella I REALLY and TRUELY trust with a gun is the fella that watches me brush my teeth in the morning.  That may not be right, but I don't care.  It is what it is and I just DO NOT trust people in general.  Fools abound.  

Well stated Caster.  I feel the same way.  If everyone on the line was a trusted friend it wouldn't bother me but the fact is that the gun handling abilities of people at a public range are unknown and varied.  Therefore this is one of those rare circumstances where a "zero tolerance" policy makes since.  If a few people are irritated because they were inconvenienced but they get to go home without any bullet holes that's a winner in my book.

I also want to be left the hell alone while at the range.  It's my "me time" and I don't get much of that.  A little friendly conversation is fine, otherwise piss off.  :)

At the same, given the number of mouth breathing imbeciles I've seen, I'd much prefer they not be handling their weapons while I'm down range.  You never know who's hunting rifle has a home spun "2lb" trigger job with negative engagement so severe it'll discharge if the snail under the bench farts.  

I'm actually starting to think that common sense & common courtesy should be re-classified as Super Powers.

This is genius.  :clap:

If you look at the roof of just about any covered firing line at a public range, you'll see holes made by people who were safely holding their unloaded guns while others checked targets.  I've been downrange more than once when some idiot touched one off.  

So, count me in with the crowd that prefers the hands-off rule while the range is cold.  

• Like 2