Knox County Homeowner Shoots Intruder

I really wish the police wouldn't release the address of the home that was broken into.  The last thing someone in that situation should want to worry about is someone coming to avenge their friend or family member.

It's the height of irresponsible reporting.  That is not the only site that gave the exact address, which is highly uncommon around here.  That site, along with others, also went out of their way to report exactly where the Oak Ridge credit union manager the OP is referring to lives, complete with a dot on the map.

Edited by Garufa

I'm sure the editors do that crap intentionally in the hopes of more news coming out of it...I can see next weeks headlines.."breaking news: Homeowner that shot intruder killed by distraught family member, film at 11"

Just another way to make gun owners look bad..

• Like 1

I really wish the police wouldn't release the address of the home that was broken into.  The last thing someone in that situation should want to worry about is someone coming to avenge their friend or family member.

Unfortunately it is public record. But most news stations have scanners and monitor the calls and response then send camera crews. I know the night guys in the nashville area are always roving around with their cameras to anything they hear on the radio to see if they can use it.

As to the exact location thing; it dont matter... This guy just finished off one thug that tried to break in his home... Good for him...  I bet any other potential malefactors will think twice before botherin this guy... I dont much believe in the "revenge" thing... People are too self centered and dopy for that sort of thing today...

leroy

• Like 1

As to the exact location thing; it dont matter... This guy just finished off one thug that tried to break in his home... Good for him... I bet any other potential malefactors will think twice before botherin this guy... I dont much believe in the "revenge" thing... People are too self centered and dopy for that sort of thing today...

leroy

Yeah.....

The "revenge thing" is quite real. Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah.....

The "revenge thing" is quite real. Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate ta hear it... The problem is that police records (...as others have said...) are public documents... We can quibble about "irresponsible reporting" and broadcasting by the media far and wide, but ya cant take the public record thing away...   

leroy

Hate ta hear it... The problem is that police records (...as others have said...) are public documents... We can quibble about "irresponsible reporting" and broadcasting by the media far and wide, but ya cant take the public record thing away...

leroy

It's actually a fact that bothers me. You have perverts and stalkers that love to file information request. I will let your imagination wonder as to why they want certain information.

leroy

I don't think the public record requirement should be taken away, but it should only apply to government agencies.  Personal Identifiable Information of non-governmental actors in reports should be redacted for privacy and safety concerns.

Just because records are public does not make it right for anyone, especially the "news", to go spouting out the details of someone else's business.  There are too many nuts in this day and age to just give out information like that.

EDIT:

Just read this update.  Most thorough reporting I've seen in a long time.  You just can't make this stuff up....http://www.knoxnews.com/news/watchful-eye/gun-used-to-kill-burglar-had-been-stolen-before

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

I'm quite frankly amazed that folks are so concerned about this keeping of info quiet thing, and so concerned about "reprisals" and "revenge"... It is a given that "bad people" are "bad people"; and that the news media is "irresponsible"... They always have been... I'll also add that that the "bad population" seems to be a bit emboldened, and that the media is stupider and more careless than ever before...

The whole idea of taking responsibility for your protection and the protection of those in your care is to, in fact, be ready and willing to provide that protection should the need (...God forbid...) ever arise...

I grew up with men (...and women...) that lived that way every day... They knew who the bad folks were and confronted them head on... They were not looking for trouble, but they were perfectly capable of solving the trouble should it arise; just as the guy in the news article we are talkin about did...  

I understand being a bit edgy... I'm edgy too... That's why im armed to the teeth...  I'm a 68 year old gimped up old geezer that is a coumadin patient... Most anybody could hurt me bad or kill me; they just aint goin to if i can get my hand in my pocket or to my big pistol or shotgun; and they damn sure aint gonna hurt my family or those in my care if im around to prevent it...

The moral of this little story is that you better not be willin to finish off those commin to steal your stuff, rape your wife and children, and kill you if you are afraid of "reprisals" and "revenge"... You better be ready to string 'em as ya catch 'em; or just let them take your stuff, rape your family, and kill you if you are worried about "reprisals"... ...I may be a bit simple minded; but i just cant wrap my mind about that kind of thinkin...

Here's hopin that no one ever has to go thru that sort of horrific trouble; but it's far better that you finish them; than that that they have their way and finish you, your family, and whoever else is standin around because you are worried that they have buddies that may take a "reprisal" or "revenge" on you; should you live thru the first round of trouble... I would rather be dead, than to know that i stood by and let family or those in my care be murdered and pillaged while i stood around worrin about the current malefactor's kin or gang brothers commin after me later....

Ya better decide in your "heart of hearts" what ya are willin to do ahead of time... When they are kickin in the door, or killin you wife and kids, there ain't time for makin these sort of decisions... Ya better decide ahead of time what ya are gonna do... I have; and i would suggest that you do the same...

I say..."..."the hell with the first bunch and whatvever bunch comes next..."... Your mileage may vary...

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1