Good Cop with a heart

Hey guys, I haven't been around much lately, the past couple weeks have been hell. My son caught his wife cheating on him which caused a snowball effect from hell that came to a head with him being taken into protective custody and sent to Peninsula for a week. The police officer who took him confiscated his M&P .45 and after my son told him how much he loved that gun, and that I had bought it for him for Christmas a couple years ago, kept the gun in his car for 2 days instead of turning it in at the station,and brought it to me instead of making us go thru all the hoops to get it back. I wont post his name because I don't know for sure but I think he may have bent a rule or 2 doing this, but he really did an awesome thing for my son and I wanted to give him some props! 

Glad to hear that you got the gun without a lot of administrative red tape.

Since your son is involved in a highly emotional situation filled with conflict, and many more tough times ahead before it's resolved, I would highly recommend that you take possession of all his firearms and other weapons, and lock them up at your place or another secure facility where he (and the wife) can't get to them.

The last thing any of you need is another bad decision made impulsively that could result in significant fines, imprisonment, or death. While I'm sure nobody expects themselves or their relatives to react in such a manner, the fact that he's already been arrested means that he is not always able to avoid those types of circumstances.

I know what he's going through, and will pray for a safe and healthy outcome for all parties.
  • Like 3

Since your son is involved in a highly emotional situation filled with conflict, and many more tough times ahead before it's resolved, I would highly recommend that you take possession of all his firearms and other weapons, and lock them up at your place or another secure facility where he (and the wife) can't get to them.

The last thing any of you need is another bad decision made impulsively that could result in significant fines, imprisonment, or death. While I'm sure nobody expects themselves or their relatives to react in such a manner, the fact that he's already been arrested means that he is not always able to avoid those types of circumstances.

I know what he's going through, and will pray for a safe and healthy outcome for all parties.

This :up: Good advise, been there, done that, a couple times.

Hope things work out for the best.

Sorry to hear about the family circumstances going in the cellar but glad to hear that the LEO was a good one and had a heart. The advice above is good for sure. During this time neither him or his probably soon to be ex wife does not need access to his guns if he has any others in his home. Hope this all turns out ok in the end.................. :ugh: :ugh:

• Like 1

Oyeah already done, they are all securely locked in my gun safe, and the key never leaves my pocket. He wasn't actually arrested, the only one he threatened to hurt was himself, and he never discharged the gun, so he was just taken into protective custody and taken to the hospital. He is doing a lot better now, that week to just think and vent to a shrink did him a world of good, and from what he said the other patients freaked him out enough to never want to go back lol.

• Like 2

Oyeah already done, they are all securely locked in my gun safe, and the key never leaves my pocket. He wasn't actually arrested, the only one he threatened to hurt was himself, and he never discharged the gun, so he was just taken into protective custody and taken to the hospital. He is doing a lot better now, that week to just think and vent to a shrink did him a world of good, and from what he said the other patients freaked him out enough to never want to go back lol.

Whether or not he was arrested is beside the point. He was taken into custody for being a danger to himself, and committed into Peninsula. That sounds to me like it falls under ATF Form 4473's question 11.f - and would qualify him as a prohibited person. I am not a lawyer. You and he may need to speak with one.

Whether or not he was arrested is beside the point. He was taken into custody for being a danger to himself, and committed into Peninsula. That sounds to me like it falls under ATF Form 4473's question 11.f - and would qualify him as a prohibited person. I am not a lawyer. You and he may need to speak with one.

Yep. Need to discuss this with an attorney versed in firearms law. But what it sound's like is he went in for a psych evaluation and kicked lose afterwards. IOW an involuntary committal so he's probably going to come out of the firearms portion of this alright. The rest is going to take a while to sort out and's going to take a lot of family love and support.