Reloading new brass

Got 1000 44 special cases from starline and loaded them for summer shooting a couple of weeks ago. Only problem I had was with the belling station on my 650. The cases slid in OK but it took both hands on the handle to get them back off. I started using some imperial sizing wax on the expander and it made things easier but slowed down the process. Every 5 case or so I had to stop and apply the wax to the stem. Any ideas on how to load new brass without the slowdown?

I've loaded tons of new brass in my Dillon, and my old Lee single stage, without issue... many different rifle and pistol calibers...including .44 spl and mag.

I have to ask how much of a bell you are putting on the cases?

Expander issue? I just don't know.

I spray lube even my 9mm cases as it makes the whole process run smoother and easier.

Hopefully someone smarter than I will come along and solve this for you. :pleased:

Ray... We load lots of 44 special on our dillon too... I've never had any trouble with re-sizing or belling... I always completely resize and use carbide dies on pistols... The carbides are "slicker" than the steel dies (...i think, anyway...)...

In your particular case; it sounds like there may be a machining mark on the belling die plug... I would pull it out and give it a good goin over with a magnifying glass and see if i could see the mark... If the plug is carbide, i would call dillon for a replacement... If it's steel, i would think about polishing it out out if i didn't want to send it back...

Let us know what ya find...

Hope this helps...

leroy

• Like 1

I've loaded tons of new brass in my Dillon, and my old Lee single stage, without issue... many different rifle and pistol calibers...including .44 spl and mag.

I have to ask how much of a bell you are putting on the cases?

Expander issue? I just don't know.

I spray lube even my 9mm cases as it makes the whole process run smoother and easier.

Hopefully someone smarter than I will come along and solve this for you. :pleased:

Just enough bell to let the bullet start in the case. For what those cases cost I don't want to take even a little life out of them.

• Like 1

Ray... We load lots of 44 special on our dillon too... I've never had any trouble with re-sizing or belling... I always completely resize and use carbide dies on pistols... The carbides are "slicker" than the steel dies (...i think, anyway...)...

In your particular case; it sounds like there may be a machining mark on the belling die plug... I would pull it out and give it a good goin over with a magnifying glass and see if i could see the mark... If the plug is carbide, i would call dillon for a replacement... If it's steel, i would think about polishing it out out if i didn't want to send it back...

Let us know what ya find...

Hope this helps...

leroy

I'll check that out. It should only take a couple of minutes with a dermal tool to smooth out any tool marks.

• Like 1

Are you deburring them?  New brass often has some right nasty burrs from the extruding process and even high end companies like Starline can't be bothered to chamfer cases.  The inside burr will grab the expander.  

• Like 2

Are you deburring them?  New brass often has some right nasty burrs from the extruding process and even high end companies like Starline can't be bothered to chamfer cases.  The inside burr will grab the expander.  

I tried that with several dozen cases without any improvement

The only new brass I've ever loaded was starline and I had this problem, it will get better once they are shot a few times and get some carbon on them.

I think Dillon has some info on they're website about it, I will need to look to see if I can find it.

Kurt

How much of a bell are you putting on?

You ONLY want enough to keep the bullets from being shaved and that leaves a bell that is very hard to feel and even harder to see. If it is easy to see your bell then it is probably too big.

As you said, only enough to let the bullet into the case without shaving the sides of it off.

• Like 1