Coyotes in Town, Options?

soapy

For any deer hunters let me tell you that coyotes will cut your deer herd down considerably. I read a few years back a fellow in Ohio put game cameras at 2 coyote dens and in 1 month one female had brought 27 fawns to the den the other had brought 24, not I understand this is second hand info, but can you imagine 51 fawns from 2 coyote bitches in 1 month?? They are just like feral/wild hogs they need to be eliminated to the very last one!!!

For any deer hunters let me tell you that coyotes will cut your deer herd down considerably. I read a few years back a fellow in Ohio put game cameras at 2 coyote dens and in 1 month one female had brought 27 fawns to the den the other had brought 24, not I understand this is second hand info, but can you imagine 51 fawns from 2 coyote bitches in 1 month?? They are just like feral/wild hogs they need to be eliminated to the very last one!!!

Yep. Once you discover them its kinda like finding a fire headed for a gas tank - you have to be quick to stop it.

I can say living in Porter County just outside Valparaiso Indiana they are a very real problem. They do indeed mate with domestic canines. The result is a fearless predator. They are far from cute little pups. Once they start cross breeding the pack instinct really kicks in.

They are a very real threat to small dogs and small children alike. They are especially dangerous when their food supply gets disrupted.

You can go on the web and download a call for them. The problem is if you see one there is probably 15 to 20. Not sure about here but in Indiana you can dispatch them year round. Not that I have anything against them but when they attack your livestock that's a problem.

We had a 13 year old Golden mix who was deaf and blind. Great dog but some how they knew he could not see and it did not take them long learn what time he went out at night and they would be there waiting.

There were four of them and they had no problem challenging me as well.

So yeah you have a problem that you really need to address

I talked to a city police officer this morning and he disputed what TWRA told me.  No firearms allowed.  He seemed to be open to using a bow.  This is crazy.  Do we have to set our own traps?   I dunno what to do, other than learning to trap em.  I 'll need a coonskin hat .  Baseball bat to kill em with.  Talk about hung out to dry.

Soap.

Note: I'm not condoning or saying to disregard the law, I'm only saying that if one is trapped it's gotta be killed where it's trapped at, and it will not be able to be transported elsewhere to be killed unless it's tranquilized. Personally, I'm too worried about the liability of setting leg traps.

Roger that.  I don't even know who to ask for permission to trap.  It used to be under rule of the Core of Engineers, but I've heard it is under the control of Smyrna now.  What if I went to the park next to the same woods, saw a coyote, and reported it to the police.  Would that bring the city into the picture?  They are responsible for the children playing in the park and going to and from the Splash Pad.  It's the same woods, but Stewarts Creek runs thru it, and I don't know if there is a way for them to cross the creek.   

Soap

Leg traps are cruel and sadistic.  I despise them. I'll even step on a few toes here by saying, I have no respect for people who use them.  Get mad if ya'll want but killing an animal is one thing, torturing it is something altogether different. I'm all for dispatching the animals if they are posing a threat but have the common courtesy and respect for the animal to not torture it and put it down swiftly and humanely.  Cage traps may frighten the animal a bit but they don't cause pain.  The animal can be easily put down with a .22 to the head without opening the trap.  

Remember, they are JUST animals.  They're doing what animals do.  How would YOU like to have your ankle broken and sit there bleeding and in pain until someone came along to put you down?  People seem to demonize these animals like they have malicious intent against you.  They may be vicious and go after their next meal with tenacity.  They may kill your beloved pet and that would break my heart and certainly motivate me to kill the animals responsible but they don't have the cognitive abilities of a human.  They aren't motivated by evil like a human, only hunger and dominance.  Why people personify them as anything more than a simple animal doing what animals do is beyond me.  

If they are a problem, kill them.  Wipe them out if that's what it takes to make your pets, livestock and children safe but for the love of God have don't torture the things.

• Like 4
As the others have touched on those little buggers will crossbreed with domestic dogs and they REALLY are fearless.

Out in the Back 40 of Campbell I went to drop off some chow for my Joes off of Grant and Jordan Springs...it looked like pitbull coydogs, and they werent scared of the Humvee, my car, them or our weapons.

Trapping is pretty brutal...Those F'ers scream something devilish when theyre trapped...and I tell you killing one with a shovel is a lot harder when its flopping around and trying to get out.

If you cant shoot them, a crossbow or suppressor will remedy what Johnny Law reccomends.

Or...you can use fireworks/gunpowder and ingenuity. It isnt pretty but it worked in Florida and in New Hampshire.

Hope you find a good solution that will work

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I talked to a neighbor who is an experienced coyote killer.  He said he was on the job, so now I can move on. Suits me.  I appreciate all the replies, I can talk trash about coyotes now if it comes up in conversation.   Carry On.

Soap.

Edited by soapy
  • Like 1

We had a coyote in downtown Oak Ridge, right in my neighborhood. I called the City animal control, and they refused to come get it, saying they only dealt with domesticated animal collection. They recommended I call a trapper, or trap it myself. I asked if I could put it down if I trapped it, and they said "Not with a gun!". I asked about an arrow, and they said they really weren't allowed either, but they reluctantly gave that answer, so I took it to mean do it out of sight and nobody will be the wiser.

I called TWRA and they said they will not come trap it or dispatch it either. They suggested I trap it and then club it to death  :stunned: . They also told me it was illegal in TN to transport any live wild animal, so don't even think about trapping and releasing it out in the woods.

The likely hood that they will cross breed with a domestic dog is pretty slim,as they usually kill domestic dogs .

And I must agree.. leg traps and sponges is a horrid death.. even for a animal. get some ammo.. dont advertise what you d going to do and shoot them.. they kill life stock, dogs and cats and can bring diseases into your yard..

And relocating is often not allowed also..

SSS

Speaking as someone who has clubbed an animal to death with a shovel, it's not something I'd recommend. It's pretty brutal, obviously, and I felt bad afterward even though I was doing a mortally wounded animal a favor. It's definitely not something I'd "plan" on doing and anyone who recommends that method has either never had the displeasure of doing it, or is a totally heartless bastard.

Yes I was about [emoji108]close to having to do that to a cat my mother-in-law hit with her car. It was way beyond saving. I hesitated so long it passed on its own before I could stomach the shovel swing.

Now I have a suppressor. What the authorities don't know what cause me to go to jail