Bud's Gun shop and Range in Sevierville review

So yesterday I finally drove out to the new Buds Gun shop and range to see what all the fuss was about. Let me say that the store was beautiful. I've been to hundreds of gun stores in my life and this was by far the largest and best laid out I've seen. I was handgun shopping and everything was set up by caliber with all the makes and models arrayed on the wall behind the counter very easily to see. Prices were not as good as Buds online but I knew that going in. That said, prices were very reasonable for handguns. I received excellent service from the staff. They brought out practically every 40 cal handgun they had for me, asked good questions and did their best to fit my requirements. The staff was fairly knowledgeable and I was also helped by the manager who was very knowledgeable , helpful and gave me excellent service. 

I finally ended up buying a Steyr M40-A1 which I find to be superb piece of Austrian engineering and a wonderfully accurate pistol (but I'll do a review on that later).

Purchasing was quick and easy with no waiting, filled out my 4473, paid my money and got a free range pass and target and tried out my new purchase. The range was simply outstanding. They had a RSO on duty and the range was nothing short of spectacular. Each lane was well lit and the design of each was clearly meant to minimize sound/noise distraction (which I was thankful for) from the guy 3 lanes down firing his 308 AR.  It worked for the most part and I could blast away in relative comfort! I found the new pistol was reliable and accurate which of course made me happy.  :pleased:

Other observations:  The store over 20,000 square ft. and is a two story set up, most guns on the perimeters and accessories on the floor space (although a number of long guns on the floor to fondle). Ammo prices were higher than big box stores so I didn't buy any, and overall accessories like holsters and mags were on the high end as well. Lots of guns. (like in the matrix movie) Overall rating: Its a great store in my opinion and I'm jaded since I bought my first firearm in 1968 at a gun store in Detroit. 

Final thoughts: Worth the drive from Knoxville or if you are visiting the Smokies. Its probably a good place for the wife to drop you off when she goes elsewhere to spend your money. 

Edited by polecat
  • Like 1

Bud's is catty-cornered from the gigantic Smoky Mountains Knifeworks wonderland store, which has a nice selection of guns, ammo and reloading stuff but also conveniently marked up for tourists.  I'd go to Bud's if I was looking for firearms and SMK if I had cutlery on my mind.  The real fun is traveling down Winfield Dunn Parkway on Saturday afternoons with the construction going on.  :wall:

I went there a couple weekends ago.  Buds was nice.  Really big... nice to not have everything crammed into a small space.  Was very surprised at the small amount of ammo for sale and the total lack of reloading supplies. 

I hadn't been in the knifeworks in years... I was astounded by the amount of stuff in that place.  Spent well over an hour wandering around looking at stuff.  They had better-than-online prices on some ammo, so I increased my supply modestly.  I also got a BB gun for my boys.

Also adjacent is the Coleman store, which also had some really good deals.  I got a cooler, big tent, and some other odds/ends all for less than half price. 

Traffic is terrible everywhere around there any day of the week this time of year.  It might be ok from 2am-4am, but I wouldn't know. 

I have not been to Bud's and it sounds like a big place but they had and may still have one in Anchorage Alaska that covers a square block of down town Anchorage. I was in the store back in the late 60's while stationed up there during Training and you can walk around in there for a week and never see all of it. It had more long guns in it than the Armory at the Kodiak Naval Special Training center where we were stationed while up there................ :up: :up:

So yesterday I finally drove out to the new Buds Gun shop and range to see what all the fuss was about. Let me say that the store was beautiful. I've been to hundreds of gun stores in my life and this was by far the largest and best laid out I've seen. I was handgun shopping and everything was set up by caliber with all the makes and models arrayed on the wall behind the counter very easily to see. Prices were not as good as Buds online but I knew that going in. That said, prices were very reasonable for handguns. I received excellent service from the staff. They brought out practically every 40 cal handgun they had for me, asked good questions and did their best to fit my requirements. The staff was fairly knowledgeable and I was also helped by the manager who was very knowledgeable , helpful and gave me excellent service. 

I finally ended up buying a Steyr M40-A1 which I find to be superb piece of Austrian engineering and a wonderfully accurate pistol (but I'll do a review on that later).

Purchasing was quick and easy with no waiting, filled out my 4473, paid my money and got a free range pass and target and tried out my new purchase. The range was simply outstanding. They had a RSO on duty and the range was nothing short of spectacular. Each lane was well lit and the design of each was clearly meant to minimize sound/noise distraction (which I was thankful for) from the guy 3 lanes down firing his 308 AR.  It worked for the most part and I could blast away in relative comfort! I found the new pistol was reliable and accurate which of course made me happy.  :pleased:

Other observations:  The store over 20,000 square ft. and is a two story set up, most guns on the perimeters and accessories on the floor space (although a number of long guns on the floor to fondle). Ammo prices were higher than big box stores so I didn't buy any, and overall accessories like holsters and mags were on the high end as well. Lots of guns. (like in the matrix movie) Overall rating: Its a great store in my opinion and I'm jaded since I bought my first firearm in 1968 at a gun store in Detroit. 

Final thoughts: Worth the drive from Knoxville or if you are visiting the Smokies. Its probably a good place for the wife to drop you off when she goes elsewhere to spend your money. 

Went there last month for the first time. Only complaint I had was that I got my shoes soaked when I opened the door and all the testosterone flooded out. Great place. They like their stuff a little too much, but a great place.

Bought an H&K VP9 at this store.  Had a very good buying experience (even my wife enjoyed talking "revolvers" with the salesperson).

It seems that several of the salespersons are retired law enforcement.  Accessories and ammo prices are way too high.  I let my wife use the free range pass so she could shoot her S&W 649.  She enjoyed the experience.  We both wished they had a better selection of revolvers (we are "old people" approaching our 70's who love our revolvers).

Bud's has decent prices and a good staff, but the SIG P320 I bought on July 3rd was $86 cheaper at Smokey Mountain Knife Works across the street.  I didn't mention it in this thread, but the gun at Bud's was $585.  At SMKW it was $499.  I didn't price check other guns, but I will not overlook SMKW in the future.  They were very friendly as well.  I have always found their knife prices to be high, but apparently the Gun Shop in SMKW has a different owner than the Knife part, though I believe it is his son.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/89096-4th-of-july-handgun-purchase/

Edited by atlas3025

Maybe I am too cheap, but I have not a bought a "new" gun from a brick and mortar in years, but I have bought many "new" guns in the past 3 years alone.  Buds online is one of my favorite places along with Grab-a-gun, and Gunbroker is great too.  If you have discipline and patience, and want to save a buck or two, that is the way I roll.  I will admit places like Buds in Sevierville, and places like Bentons are great places to touch and feel, but online is my preferred manner for new guns.  :2cents:

I like looking at Bud's, since they have the finest selection around.  I have never bought a firearm from them though.  I did pick up a Vortec Diamondback Scope from them them back in June at a really great price!  For ammunition, I don't think anyone is cheaper than SMKW!

I was there for the opening weekend(Sunday). Nice store. I'm sure it would have been roomy under other circumstances. It was elbow to elbow on the floor and at the counters. I did think the prices a bit higher than I was seeing in Nashville, and online. But the selection was awesome.

I was the proverbial kid in a candy store!

Bud's is catty-cornered from the gigantic Smoky Mountains Knifeworks wonderland store, which has a nice selection of guns, ammo and reloading stuff but also conveniently marked up for tourists.  I'd go to Bud's if I was looking for firearms and SMK if I had cutlery on my mind.  The real fun is traveling down Winfield Dunn Parkway on Saturday afternoons with the construction going on.  :wall:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SMKW is a great place to visit and look at all kinds of knives. Just be careful, and know your prices. I found that some items, particularly big name brands, went from almost normal, to a bit over priced, to just plain you must be freaking kidding.

And know what you are going in for. It's easy to get sidetracked on something else in there.

Edited by hipower