Steyr Handguns

phiferran

Alright, since I have "seasoned and experienced" eyesight now (got that phrase from DMark), I have been considering sights much more when I think about my purchases.  The pyramid sight system on the Steyr handguns are intriguing--anyone have any experience with Steyr handguns?  I have shot a tremendous amount of different pistols over the years, but no experience with Steyr and that sight system. 

I suffer from same kind of eyesight  and my buddy has quit asking me to go to the range with him but I am hoping all that changes in September. I am going to have a cataract Evaluation and see about having my cataracts removed. My eye doctor says he doesn't think I will even need glasses after the removal of them. I miss going to the range and looking very forward to the surgery now....... :up:  :up: 

• Like 1
Well, I don't know about "seasoned and experienced" eyes... mine just suck and I'm 32. But I really like the Steyrs. I have shot a few but don't have one of my own (yet.)

Great pointing and comfy gun, and I liked the triangle sights, but I don't know if they're really "better" or not than traditional 3 dots.
  • Like 1

I have set out on a trip to Guns & Leather two times in two different years to buy a Steyr since they regularly carry them . Each time I arrived , I ended up going home with a Glock :shhh: . The only thing that kept me holding back on them was the "take down" mechanism that uses a key to lock it and lock up the gun as a safety feature.

I think I may end up getting one if I dont find a good deal on a G36 .

I do like the sights on them . Hickok45 has a video on the Steyr and says that he has to hold the sights a little above the 6 o'clock area to hit the target .

Edited by tercel89
I have two of the A1 Steyrs in 9mm and one of the original M40s. I like the sights a lot. I still carry the M&P on a daily basis but would seriously consider the Steyr if it weren't so thick.

Hope this helps,
Whisper Edited by Whisper

I have a steyr M40 A1. About the size of a Glock 19/23 . The sights work just fine for my aging eyes. You can get very precise as the tip of the front sight is really the aiming point. It's like shooting XS big dots except these don't cover the target and you can acquire them super fast. I like the super low bore axis and the soft recoil in the 40 as well. The Steyr is built like a tank. The whole fire control unit is a self contained heavy duty system. Only complaint is its a fat gun.  Great shooter. Very reliable. Nice grip in the hand.