License plate for horse trailer?

Sale price as far as I know. Which I get to write in the back of the title.

Yup. They technically can dispute the amount, but I've never had them question anything. If the title is for a 2014 4 horse gooseneck and you write $50 they may, but for the most part it seems they really don't care much. I could easily see an older bumper pull that's been sitting in a field for ten years selling for $100 or so, heck there are some actually in use that aren't worth much more than that.
Not a trailer, but some cops can and will ticket you for infractions that are legal in your home state. I 1ent to court more than once and had plenty of run ins with Leo over smog compliance violations in California when I was stationed there. A 2005 Duramax diesel, tagged in Tennessee legally since military is considered an out of state resident. I was ticketed once for removal of smog equipment, and once for use of an off road only tuner on a registered trucj, neither of which was illegal in TN. Both tickets got thrown out in court. I then bought a Subaru WRX and was pulled over and ticketed multiple times, and forced to pop my hood and have 3 HCP'S inspect my car for an hour on the side of the interstate,,listing infractions from unapproved exhaust to non-smog compliant turbo, to incorrect tread depth (DOT road race slicks). $7k in fines. I went to court and the judge threw it all out and embarrassed and reprimanded the issuing officer in the court room for wasting his time and mine. So yes, an officer can write you a ticket for something legal in your home state, but chances are it will not stand up in court.

Sent from the backwoods

Well, I guess I will chime in here and say that my Bass boat trailer does not require a license plate in Tennessee and I have dragged a bass boat to about every state east of the Mississippi River and a couple west west of it like Texas and Arkansas to compete in tournaments and not one time did I get stopped in any state because my boat trailer did not have a plate on it. I went to many states that did require boat trailers in those states to have them but not one time was I stopped without one.........Just thought I would add my :2cents:  to this. :up:

• 2 weeks later...
I know you've probably settled this by now, but I just wanted to chime in again.

I have a flatbed trailer that I bought used in TN with a bill of sale.

I've now been to the clerk's office here in Wyoming three times, had to have their specific forms filled out and notarized, called the sheriff for a VIN inspection and now they want a letter from the state of TN- and I suspect even that may not be enough. At this point I don't know if a letter from the Pope would be enough.

If you think you may ever move or sell that trailer out of state, get the title now. You'll save yourself a huge amount of hassle later, and have a larger buyer pool. Most people won't deal with the headache I'm having to. Heck, if I didn't have to have the trailer right now I'd sell it in TN and buy another one out here with a Wyoming title already.